News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

For Chicagoland, all schools, even CPS, are already closed for tomorrow.  The zoos and museums are already closed for tomorrow.  I imagine that by the end of today, everything except hospitals, first responders, public transportation, gas stations and maybe a handful of restaurants will be closed tomorrow. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Roadgeekteen

22 and cloudy with some light snow coming down today.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Eth

44 degrees and falling. Light rain has been falling for about an hour, and I'm pretty sure rain is all it will be today, as we'll dry out before it gets cold enough for anything else. I got an extra work-from-home day, though, so that's cool.

ET21

The arctic plunge begins today. I won't be venturing outside until Friday after today. -12 for a high tomorrow, wind chills of -40 to -55 until Thursday.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ET21 on January 29, 2019, 09:07:11 AM
The arctic plunge begins today. I won't be venturing outside until Friday after today. -12 for a high tomorrow, wind chills of -40 to -55 until Thursday.

Neither the kids nor I will be going outside during that time frame, but unfortunately, my wife works at a hospital 10pm-6:30am tonight and tomorrow night.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

1995hoo

We're supposed to get rain/sleet turning to snow this afternoon. The US government just announced DC-area offices are closing two hours early. As a non-government worker downtown, I might just work later than I otherwise might so as to avoid the crowding on the trains.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MNHighwayMan

As last measured (11:54 pm) at the Des Moines International Airport, it was —15°F with a —44°F wind chill. Supposed to get down to —22°F at its lowest yet tonight.

The blowing snow I can see outside is intense, too. Hard to tell if it's new precipitation or lifting powder off the ground.

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 30, 2019, 01:22:44 AM
The blowing snow I can see outside is intense, too. Hard to tell if it's new precipitation or lifting powder off the ground.

You are witnessing something that I've literally never seen (but would love to!).

Bruce

High of 55 today. I was able to shed the coat for a bit and walk around in just a T-shirt and jeans.

We might get some snow next week, but for now we're basking in this.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on January 30, 2019, 01:38:14 AM
You are witnessing something that I've literally never seen (but would love to!).

It's cleared up a lot already, so I'm guessing it was mostly a snow shower.

Quote from: Bruce on January 30, 2019, 01:44:54 AM
High of 55 today. I was able to shed the coat for a bit and walk around in just a T-shirt and jeans.

That's t-shirt and shorts weather!

abefroman329

Today I'm wearing a union suit, and my God is it comfortable.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: jakeroot on January 30, 2019, 01:38:14 AM

Imagine a landscape, where there is no precipitation falling from the sky, but snow is still getting onto the roadways leading to people getting stuck or into accidents.

That's what I experienced all day on January 20th along I-55 and I counted 15 vehicles in the ditches along that 8-hour drive, even though nothing was falling from the sky!  Blowing snow can be a really irritating problem.  It's especially bad because it's an overlooked problem.  Check road conditions even if it isn't snowing!
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Roadgeekteen

27 and sunny with some snow on the ground.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Buck87

Sunny and -6 with a wind chill of -32

ipeters61

We're not being affected by the cold very much on Delmarva (as someone who grew up in New England, this is just ordinary winter weather to me).  34 with a windchill of 22.  The low will be 8 tonight with, I think, a windchill of 0.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Brandon

-17 F, feels like -43 F, going all the way up to a high of -13 F.
Balmy by arctic standards.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

abefroman329

Quote from: Brandon on January 30, 2019, 12:25:00 PM
It's warmer above the Arctic Circle today than it is here.

Brandon

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 30, 2019, 12:37:10 PM
Quote from: Brandon on January 30, 2019, 12:25:00 PM
It's warmer above the Arctic Circle today than it is here.

Well, at least it is sunny.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Eth

Quote from: Eth on January 29, 2019, 08:53:41 AM
44 degrees and falling. Light rain has been falling for about an hour, and I'm pretty sure rain is all it will be today, as we'll dry out before it gets cold enough for anything else. I got an extra work-from-home day, though, so that's cool.

Sure enough, it indeed did not snow yesterday. Not even close. Even most of the rainfall had dried up by the end of the day under sunny skies.

It was cold this morning, but not egregiously so (mid-20s). Sunny and 39 now as we begin a warming trend that'll have us well into the 60s by this time next week.

1995hoo

When I got off the subway tonight on my way home the wind chill was around 3°. Guy ahead of me was wearing shorts.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 30, 2019, 08:26:53 PM
When I got off the subway tonight on my way home the wind chill was around 3°. Guy ahead of me was wearing shorts.

Well, it is warm.  We had a wind chill of -53 last night.

oscar

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 30, 2019, 08:26:53 PM

My shorts have long been packed away. But I'm still wearing flip-flops (unless I have to walk through snow), including on the trip I just took this evening to and inside the main post office in Fairfax County.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

adventurernumber1

Chicago and other affected areas (as in affected by the polar vortex) in the Midwest are getting temperatures that may, IIRC, be even lower than some parts of Mars.

Conversely, Alaska and other areas very close to the poles are currently getting warmer temperatures than usual, if I recall correctly.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Roadgeekteen

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 31, 2019, 09:16:57 AM
Very cold but sunny

To be more specific: 3°F.

Side note: Is today the only day that the Great Lakes are making things warmer? (Michigan is about 10° warmer than Minnesota, Wisconsin and Chicago, at least when I checked today's forecast two days ago, and Ohio is also in this "less cold" region.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.