Are GPSes making us more unaware of our surroundings

Started by roadman65, February 19, 2016, 07:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jwolfer on February 21, 2016, 05:20:05 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 21, 2016, 11:30:22 AM
Guy in my carpool has all of his former license plate numbers memorized. I don't even bother trying to remember my current tag numbers!

Back to the subject a bit...

I think many people are unaware of their surrounds if they have no need for them. I bring up my carpool often because we are 4 guys with all different awarenesses. 1 guy was very good in knowing the area and what was around, but I've noticed he's slipped a bit with current things such as signage. Another isn't too bad. The 3rd could tell you everything within a mile of his house, but couldn't tell you much of anything 2 miles away, even though he's lived and driven in the area all his life.

On our commute to and from work, I'll notice differences (signage, etc) a month before they say something.
I am amazed at people who live in a place their whole life and they can't navigate anywhere beyond their everyday routine.

I think some is innate ability. My 5 year old has been noticing surroundings since she could talk.

I forget if i mentioned it here or elsewhere, but that particular carpool member asked where Exit 26 was and if an accident there would impact us. I estimated we've gone past Exit 26 about 6,600 times in the 15 years we've carpooled.  It's only 4 miles from where he lives!

vdeane

Quote from: roadman65 on February 20, 2016, 01:57:23 PM
I see all the time in Florida.  I think people arrive from wherever and they rely so much on the GPS that they do not care about what is around them.  Plus what Scott says in his post, its not only roads but everything.

Another issue I had was locating a Hampton Inn near Miami International Airport off FL 826 at 36th Street.  I could not locate it because it was on a side street so I stopped at a local gas station and convenience store to find out where it was.  Not only was the person unaware of the surroundings of the intersection he worked at, but he saw the sign for Hampton Inn from the place he was standing which was behind the counter that faced the door.  It was when I walked out I then noticed it, and I then had to look back at the guy and wonder how he could be so ignorant and unhelpful to me.  In fact if I was in grade school and I was the one being asked where the Hampton Inn was while looking at it, and saying that "I did not know" I would be made a mockery not only by the person asking me the question but by other people as well.

I think that time is an issue too as we just evolved into such independence that we are all on different pages so to speak.  We do not care anymore about uniform rulings and our mind also focuses on ourselves and if something is handed to us like the GPS where we do not have to do work at reading a map and making the best decision, we will use it.  Plus it seems like the norm compared to the exception, and what the majority does now is the rule of thumb. 

Bottom line is that GPSes just add to the fire that has been burning already.  Scott, I must agree, with you that no one now is aware of anything around them about anything.  Yes  I see it even in Church that I attend where you would figure everyone is being scrutinized actually have the most careless attitude about anything!
I had a similar experience on Long Island last October.  Got lost looking for my hotel and wound up in Syosset and was looking for the way back to NY 25.  Somehow, despite being lost and too panicked to reason out where I was on my atlas, I still knew more about where I was than the local at the gas station.  I even brought over the atlas and started pointing at stuff and still didn't get anything better than "try that way" while he was pointing at one of the streets in the intersection.

Working at NYSDOT, I still have chances to impress people with my knowledge.  I remember setting up the routes for the pavement survey last year... we got back within five minutes of the end of the workday every single day, despite the Google directions (which became inaccessible through anything other than the printouts halfway through when classic Google Maps went bye bye) not including things like driving the speed limit, the routes that weren't easy to add to the directions because they were U turns, those times when I ran out of points (yes, even on classic) and the directions weren't even right, turning around because the vehicle distance sensor wasn't exact and we overshot the intersection/county line by a quarter mile and had to load the next route to rate, and the 15 minutes we spent some days figuring out why the vehicle distance sensor wasn't communicating to the computer (hey, it was our first year doing this...).  Same thing happened with HPMS when I was just making up stuff as we went along, even when I wasn't the one driving (one day I just picked out a bunch of papers and said "I'm imagine you'll get through these samples"; they did, almost exactly, minus the ones I said would be a reach from the get go).  People now think I'm psychic (I even predicted when my boss and I would get back from a rail meeting within four minutes).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bing101

Well I have a GPS that one time showed my car driving in the Water but I was really on the newer section of the Bay Bridge approaching Yerba Buena Island.

busman_49

As a whole, I imagine they are.

I never had a GPS until about a year ago when I was traveling to the Chicago area for the second time in a few weeks and decided that I'd rather look at a GPS in the dark than Google Maps in the dark.  I knew I'd be doing much more traveling and figured it'd be a wise investment.

I'm still a scenery person, so I'm not glued to the GPS.  Plus I still like to explore my route ahead of time to see if there are any worthy pull-offs along the way.  In fact, I just got done printing off Google directions for an upcoming trip (and I've already modified them for stuff I wanna see along the way).  It's nice to have something that will tell me where I'm supposed to go if I do stray off my route in mid-trip.  I finally turned off the sound so when I DO stray, I don't have to listen to it tell me to go some way I don't want to go.

lepidopteran

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 19, 2016, 12:40:45 PM
...we've passed Exit 26 a total of approximately 6,600 times (twice a day, approximately 220 days a year, for 15 years), ... And yet, he had absolutely no clue where Exit 26 was located.
To be fair, I tend not to be aware of exit numbers most of the time, even on routes I take frequently.  I just look for the "Buckskin Road" exit, the exit with control cities "Snerdsville, Plotzingdale, NEXT RIGHT", or the exit with the I-98 and/or US-00 shield on the sign.  (Besides, some freeways don't even have exit numbers.)  The only time I'm really conscious of exit numbers is on the NJ Turnpike with its huge, you-can't-miss-it number-and-arrow BGSs (whose days might be, pardon-the-pun, numbered, if they become more MUTCD-compliant).  Also certain points on the OH and PA turnpikes -- back when they were numbered sequentially.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: lepidopteran on February 24, 2016, 11:43:52 AM
...we've passed Exit 26 a total of approximately 6,600 times (twice a day, approximately 220 days a year, for 15 years), ... And yet, he had absolutely no clue where Exit 26 was located.
To be fair, I tend not to be aware of exit numbers most of the time, even on routes I take frequently.  I just look for the "Buckskin Road" exit, the exit with control cities "Snerdsville, Plotzingdale, NEXT RIGHT", or the exit with the I-98 and/or US-00 shield on the sign.  (Besides, some freeways don't even have exit numbers.)  The only time I'm really conscious of exit numbers is on the NJ Turnpike with its huge, you-can't-miss-it number-and-arrow BGSs (whose days might be, pardon-the-pun, numbered, if they become more MUTCD-compliant).  Also certain points on the OH and PA turnpikes -- back when they were numbered sequentially.

I've heard several people mention that, and I guess it's true if we're talking about, say, Exit 52 (a county road near Florence, NJ).  Exit 26 is the mega interchange with I-76 & Rt. 42, featured on traffic reports every day.

Brandon

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 24, 2016, 12:22:36 PM

I've heard several people mention that, and I guess it's true if we're talking about, say, Exit 52 (a county road near Florence, NJ).  Exit 26 is the mega interchange with I-76 & Rt. 42, featured on traffic reports every day.

Even around Chicago, the exit number isn't even mentioned for major interchanges like that.  Either the crossing route will be used (i.e. Stevenson at the Ryan) or the interchange name will be used (i.e. Merge/Split or Junction).  Hell, ISTHA didn't even have exit numbers until a couple of years ago.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

mrsman

As a native Californian, I grew up without exit numbers, so I mostly refer to interchnages by name rather than by number.

Of course, when you don't know the area using exit numbers is so helpful - especially if they are mileage based.  Just look at the mileage marker and you will know how far away is your exit.

US71

I rarely use my GPS. I may occasionally use it to verify where I am or to find a shortcut around traffic, but I otherwise don't use it. To me, it's a distraction.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

1995hoo

Quote from: mrsman on February 26, 2016, 11:15:49 AM

Of course, when you don't know the area using exit numbers is so helpful - especially if they are mileage based.  Just look at the mileage marker and you will know how far away is your exit.

Except on the Beltway in Virginia, of course, because at the Springfield Interchange it abruptly changes from the Beltway exit numbers that ascend anti-clockwise from I-295 in Maryland to the I-95 exit numbers that ascend northbound from the North Carolina state line. Since we live near there, I'm used to having to explain to people that they should be prepared for the sudden jump from Exit 57 (Springfield Interchange) to Exit 173 (Van Dorn Street, three miles east of Exit 57) and that they don't have nearly as far to go as they might think they do.

All the more reason why when I give directions I try not to rely on just exit numbers or just street names or the like. In the example above, I'd probably refer to Exit 173 for Van Dorn Street, mention that the BGS lists "Franconia" as the destination, and note that it's the next exit after the massive interchange with all the flyovers, and I'd probably add that if you come to signs saying the road splits into "Local" and "Thru" lanes you went too far.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

slorydn1

In a word, yes.

I can't tell you how many times I have taken a 911 call from someone wanting to report a wreck, for instance, and they have zero clue where they are. I'd estimate as much as 30% can't even tell me what road they are on, no less where they are on that road. Luckily for them, their cell phone bails them out and tells me where they are (more often than not, but it's still not fool proof). For those who for whatever reason don't have phase 2 wireless 911 capability it can be a real tooth pulling session to figure out where they are. What was the last exit they passed? They don't know. What was the last billboard they saw? They don't know. Do they remember even seeing a mile marker (no less what it said-the fact that road even has or doesn't have a mile marker on it will tell me alot)? No they aren't sure if they saw a mile marker or not-but could I please stop asking them so many stupid questions and just send them someone already. Sure, I'd love to, but I can't just yet because I have no idea where to send them!!

The GPS users (actually to call most of them users would be an insult to those who actually do know how to use them) have no clue how to get to the different menu screens other than the route search feature anyway. I have tried to get them to pull up and read me the co-ordinates off the unit and they can't even find them. The few that can find them do not know how to read them. Luckily for them I  am fluent in both degrees minutes seconds and decimal degrees and can figure out pretty quickly what they are trying to tell me anyway.

All of that is why I use my GPS more as a data logging tool/digital speedometer rather than as a navigational tool. That is not to say I have never used it to navigate but I try very hard not to. For the actual long distance portion of my trips, I usually don't need any navigational help, I have already chosen my route the old fashioned way and I pretty much know where I am and how I need to get there. Sometimes, if I am going to a town I've never been I may have my wife punch up the hotel on it as I am getting close just to be sure I don't miss my turn to get there.

When I am finished with my trip I upload the track into Garmin Base Camp for future reference. It logs distance, time, avg mph (moving and overall) and of course the visual track on the map.

Here are all of my road trips since November of 2012 when I started using Base Camp:

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

vdeane

Meanwhile I've TRIED to give AAA reference markers/mile markers before and they won't take them.  It's quite frustrating.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

wanderer2575

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 20, 2016, 09:52:26 AM
I guess part of it depends on whether you use the device as a navigational aid or whether you depend on it to be your entire navigational support. If you use it as an aid, say because you know where you're going but you'd like confirmation so you don't miss the turn late at night or in an area you don't visit that often, then I don't think it's a negative. Similar principle if you decide to explore via a different route but want the device there to guide you back if you make a wrong turn or some such.

I agree with this distinction.  I use my GPS to get me to a specific location in an unfamiliar area.  I usually don't punch in the address or coordinates until I'm in the general vicinity.  Other than that, I'll often have my GPS in Map View mode on roadtrips, just for the gimmick of a digital speedometer, seeing upcoming intersections, and also accumulating trivial trip data (total time moving, average speed when moving, etc.).  That is shows me the direction I'm traveling is sometimes very helpful.  I still prefer looking at maps to plot out my general routes.  Since I deliberately meander a lot on many roadtrips, I would only be confusing her (yes, I've named her Melanie; no, I'm not a lonely guy) if she's trying to direct me to a destination.

Another point:

While the OP mentioned being unaware of our surroundings, let's not forget another facet of GPS idiocy:  Drivers who stubbornly and deliberately ignore posted signs because they conflict with directions given by the GPS, and by gosh the GPS must be right!  A great example of this was a few years ago when MDOT redesigned the eastern terminus of I-94/I-69 at M-25 and the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron.  Here's the current interchange:  https://goo.gl/maps/vGKTTZRK4vn.  Prior to reconstruction, eastbound traffic exited to the right for the Blue Water Bridge or curved to the left to access a connector road to M-25 and Port Huron.  (That left ramp still exists, but it's blocked off and abandoned -- the northbound connector road is now used only by traffic coming from the Blue Water Bridge).  A new ramp leading directly to M-25 was constructed on the right.  Bottom line is that the eastbound traffic movements now are reversed:  Used to be M-25 and Port Huron to the left, Canada to the right.  Now it's Canada to the left, M-25 and Port Huron to the right.  THREE SETS of overhead signs with pull-through arrows couldn't make this more clear.  But a friend of mine who works for MDOT told me that for quite awhile after the interchange was finished, probably dozens of Port Huron-bound motorists daily found themselves on the Bridge and heading into Canada because their not-yet-updated GPSs said to go left to M-25 and they blindly followed the GPS directions while ignoring the posted signage.  MDOT replaced all the new BGSs with even newer ones including Canadian and American flag graphics, and posted signs "Your GPS Is Wrong / Follow Posted Signs."  It helped, but only some.  To this day, I'm sure there are still a few clueless motorists blindly driving into Canada.  State your citizenship, please.

While the I-94/I-69 interchange a couple miles west was being rebuilt last year, traffic crossovers resulted in one or two left-hand movements temporarily becoming right-hand movements.  Signs were posted:  "Follow Construction Signing Not GPS."  Same kind of situation and probably the same results.  Another epic sign of the times.   :banghead:

roadman65

You are right about that one where the users deliberately and stubbornly ignore the road signs because they conflict with directions given to them by the device is what is happening.  I see evidence of that in the toll booth when they pull into my lane and have no money to pay the toll.  In fact they rely solely on the debit card as well instead of carrying cash, so I hear this:  "I had no idea I would be on a toll road as the GPS directed me here, here's my credit card" (while handing over to me in confidence that we take them).   Then they get mad at our state for not showing compassion for those who do not choose to leave the cash at home, as if everyone has been doing that since George Washington.  Of course they direct all political concerns to me as they think that once they tell me their complaints its like the State of Florida is listening on this and any matter against the toll concept.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

The sort of thing wanderer2575 describes is one reason why so many sat-nav devices have those annoying nag screens when you start them up. Over three years after the I-495 HO/T lanes opened, I still occasionally see people in the left general-purpose lane of the Inner Loop slowing down to look for the left-hand exit to westbound I-66 because they never updated their sat-nav maps. I think that points to another problem: Lots of people buy the device and then assume it's correct for all time. Reminds me of back in the early 1990s when my father bought antivirus software but never updated it. Almost everyone understands that there's road construction and that new roads, exits, etc. open from time to time, so how is it so hard to understand that your electronic device's database may become outdated and therefore inaccurate?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Its mainly those who are post baby boomers who rely solely on them.  Those who come into the toll blaming the GPS and us for not allowing them to go through for free or not take their credit or debit card are all either Millenials and Generation X (my generation) who wander into the toll facility without money or using the GPS to get the around.

It is a shame, that we rely too much on technology and that we do not use our own brains to get us from point a to point b and I do not mean for the places on the map too.  People do not think at all for anything.  We all need to talk to our best friends every second of the day, as for those in the pre cell phone age went by a whole day without speaking to our loved ones, friends, and of course we had to do it at home. 

Most people are missing out so much. 

Sheryl Crowe

noelbotevera

I'm still having to use a GPS, but slowly and surely I'm starting to shy away from that practice. But the fact that I did that makes my generation horrible and I don't want those genes passed off to my children.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

vdeane

I know a member of the silent generation that relies exclusively on GPS

Also: If I was customs, I'd subject the blindly following GPS people to a rater intensive search.  That would teach them not to ignore signs!

Max Rockatansky

Given that I tend to avoid most main roads and freeway I tend to rely on map reading much more than a GPS.  Generally I plan out routes way in advance and pretty much have all the DOT/511 numbers programmed into my phone already for all my surrounding states.  With that said, a GPS can be really handy to have as a "heads up" display of the surrounding area.  I can't count how many times I've found detours and surface roads that I didn't know were there.  I didn't have one at all until about 2013 when I got one as a gift.

rawmustard

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on February 28, 2016, 01:03:50 PMIts mainly those who are post baby boomers who rely solely on them.
I've seen plenty of GPS-blind-faith-idiocy displayed among baby boomers and older drivers (ones have been driving for decades) as well.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

realjd

Quote from: roadman65 on February 28, 2016, 01:03:50 PM
Its mainly those who are post baby boomers who rely solely on them.  Those who come into the toll blaming the GPS and us for not allowing them to go through for free or not take their credit or debit card are all either Millenials and Generation X (my generation) who wander into the toll facility without money or using the GPS to get the around.

It is a shame, that we rely too much on technology and that we do not use our own brains to get us from point a to point b and I do not mean for the places on the map too.  People do not think at all for anything.  We all need to talk to our best friends every second of the day, as for those in the pre cell phone age went by a whole day without speaking to our loved ones, friends, and of course we had to do it at home. 

Most people are missing out so much. 

Off topic, but I find it incredibly stupid that in 2016 there are still cash-only (or worse: exact change only) toll booths. Why can't they throw credit/debit card readers up where the useless coin baskets are, like they do in Orange County, CA? Either that or go fully toll-by-plate like they did in south Florida?

See also: parking meters

jeffandnicole

Quote from: rawmustard on February 29, 2016, 12:43:40 PM
In a somewhat related story, most subjects in a study followed a robot than used known exits during a simulated fire alarm.

From what it appears, I agree with most of the commenters on that story: If a robot that's flashing 'Emergency Guide Robot' is telling you to leave a building and is taking you towards an exit, it's almost common sense to follow it.  Even though another exit door was nearby, there may have been an unknown danger behind that door.  If the robot was taking you towards smoke or an actual danger, then maybe there's an issue.

Kind of a flawed study, in my opinion.

US 41

I just drove to Ojinaga, Mexico and I did not use a GPS and I barely used my atlas. I knew exactly where I was the entire time. I know lots of people that use GPS's and they have no idea where they are going. Some of my friends drove down to Panama City, FL and I was asking them how they went and they had no idea. They could have been driving to Amarillo, TX and not have known any better.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

roadman65

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 29, 2016, 01:12:45 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 28, 2016, 01:03:50 PMIts mainly those who are post baby boomers who rely solely on them.
I've seen plenty of GPS-blind-faith-idiocy displayed among baby boomers and older drivers (ones have been driving for decades) as well.
Not as much here in Florida though.  If there are elderly people in my booth using GPS they are mainly humble and do carry cash on them.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.