News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Most Worthless Control Cities

Started by paulthemapguy, March 13, 2016, 12:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Sharon is where I-79 meets, but I would use Youngstown from Hazleton west.  Then  Hazleton east from Ohio to I-81. Then starting at I-81 I would use New York City then into New Jersey.  Also, omit New Jersey at Stroudsburg as that’s what’s used there.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hobsini2

Quote from: PNWRoadgeek on July 25, 2023, 09:35:43 AM
Everything on I-80 in Pennsylvania, it just gets worse as it goes on. Stroudsburg? Bloomsburg? Sharon? What are these places. I understand that they may be for historical reasons. But I had never heard of those towns until I looked up I-80's control cities. It's unfortunate because Pennsylvania is ok on I-90, and for the most part they are mid on I-99 as well(Except for all of that Port Matilda stuff, that's gotta go)

Overall, I feel like Pennsylvania can be good if they want to. The tricky thing with a Control City is that you have to make it a safe distance from the previous city that was signed, as well as that city being a major hub for that state. Even L*mon counts.

While I agree with you that Pennsylvania's choices for control cities are not great on 80, I think, as you said you were not familiar with those cities previously, part of that is your prospective since you are in the Pacific Northwest. Sharon and Stroudsburg make sense, as in state controls, because of where they are located at each end of the state.  The problem you run into with 80 is there are no cities of consequence for the roughly 310 miles within Pennsylvania. You could use State College and Williamsport but both are about 15 miles as the crow flies off of the interstate. Hazelton is another possibility but again is 7 miles off the highway.

In fact, I find it funny that Hazelton is the eastbound control for 80 at I-81 when going south on 81 is quicker.
Signage:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.044034,-76.0203175,3a,52.4y,69.36h,94.69t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1syPYDMVAzgoJXcH2JzsMXSw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DyPYDMVAzgoJXcH2JzsMXSw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D168.18964%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
Map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hazleton,+PA/@41.0015293,-76.0567019,22449m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x89c5a4132867b6b1:0x442d01bc719543f4!8m2!3d40.9584181!4d-75.9746472!16zL20vMF80MWY?entry=ttu
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

SkyPesos

My take for I-80's PA control cities: They're fine as secondaries. But for primaries, stick with NYC only eastbound, like what Ohio signs in Youngstown. It's more complicated for westbound, as unlike NYC, neither Youngstown or Cleveland  have the status as the nation's largest city to be worth signing 400 miles away. Maybe use a combination of Scranton, State College (well known because of PSU) and Youngstown or Cleveland? I know they're all off the route, but that's as close as you're going to get to I-80 in PA for well-known places; also Williamsport is signed on the mainline at one point.

PNWRoadgeek

Quote from: roadman65 on July 25, 2023, 09:42:06 AM
Sharon is where I-79 meets, but I would use Youngstown from Hazleton west.  Then  Hazleton east from Ohio to I-81. Then starting at I-81 I would use New York City then into New Jersey.  Also, omit New Jersey at Stroudsburg as that's what's used there.
Quote from: hobsini2 on July 25, 2023, 10:00:26 AM
Everything on I-80 in Pennsylvania, it just gets worse as it goes on. Stroudsburg? Bloomsburg? Sharon? What are these places. I understand that they may be for historical reasons. But I had never heard of those towns until I looked up I-80's control cities. It's unfortunate because Pennsylvania is ok on I-90, and for the most part they are mid on I-99 as well(Except for all of that Port Matilda stuff, that's gotta go)

Overall, I feel like Pennsylvania can be good if they want to. The tricky thing with a Control City is that you have to make it a safe distance from the previous city that was signed, as well as that city being a major hub for that state. Even L*mon counts.

While I agree with you that Pennsylvania's choices for control cities are not great on 80, I think, as you said you were not familiar with those cities previously, part of that is your prospective since you are in the Pacific Northwest. Sharon and Stroudsburg make sense, as in state controls, because of where they are located at each end of the state.  The problem you run into with 80 is there are no cities of consequence for the roughly 310 miles within Pennsylvania. You could use State College and Williamsport but both are about 15 miles as the crow flies off of the interstate. Hazelton is another possibility but again is 7 miles off the highway.

In fact, I find it funny that Hazelton is the eastbound control for 80 at I-81 when going south on 81 is quicker.
Signage:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.044034,-76.0203175,3a,52.4y,69.36h,94.69t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1syPYDMVAzgoJXcH2JzsMXSw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DyPYDMVAzgoJXcH2JzsMXSw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D168.18964%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
Map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hazleton,+PA/@41.0015293,-76.0567019,22449m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x89c5a4132867b6b1:0x442d01bc719543f4!8m2!3d40.9584181!4d-75.9746472!16zL20vMF80MWY?entry=ttu

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 25, 2023, 10:45:29 AM
My take for I-80's PA control cities: They're fine as secondaries. But for primaries, stick with NYC only eastbound, like what Ohio signs in Youngstown. It's more complicated for westbound, as unlike NYC, neither Youngstown or Cleveland  have the status as the nation's largest city to be worth signing 400 miles away. Maybe use a combination of Scranton, State College (well known because of PSU) and Youngstown or Cleveland? I know they're all off the route, but that's as close as you're going to get to I-80 in PA for well-known places; also Williamsport is signed on the mainline at one point.
I agree with SkyPesos, NYC should always be the primary eastbound. Hazleton and State College work as secondaries, both aren't sizable. But are major hubs in their respective areas. State College is also home to Pennsylvania State University so it works even better as a secondary. IMO, State College and NYC should be dual-signed from Youngstown until I-99. For westbound I don't know. Cleveland's too far, Youngstown is closer but isn't a massive sized city like Cleveland is. State College kinda far away on I-99. And Scranton is a major Pennsylvania city but is only 75k people, which is small potatoes compared to Cleveland and especially NYC. It's also off I-80, and to a further extent than State College.

Yeah, I don't really know what to do for westbound I-80. I might post my plans in fictional when I decide. But I don't really know what to choose right now.
I will clinch the Interstate system someday(hopefully)...

Roadgeekteen

Yeah I would do Scranton, State College, then Cleveland going westbound from Paterson NJ.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hobsini2

Quote from: PNWRoadgeek on July 25, 2023, 11:03:36 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 25, 2023, 09:42:06 AM
Sharon is where I-79 meets, but I would use Youngstown from Hazleton west.  Then  Hazleton east from Ohio to I-81. Then starting at I-81 I would use New York City then into New Jersey.  Also, omit New Jersey at Stroudsburg as that's what's used there.
Quote from: hobsini2 on July 25, 2023, 10:00:26 AM

Signage:

I agree with SkyPesos, NYC should always be the primary eastbound. Hazleton and State College work as secondaries, both aren't sizable. But are major hubs in their respective areas. State College is also home to Pennsylvania State University so it works even better as a secondary. IMO, State College and NYC should be dual-signed from Youngstown until I-99. For westbound I don't know. Cleveland's too far, Youngstown is closer but isn't a massive sized city like Cleveland is. State College kinda far away on I-99. And Scranton is a major Pennsylvania city but is only 75k people, which is small potatoes compared to Cleveland and especially NYC. It's also off I-80, and to a further extent than State College.

Yeah, I don't really know what to do for westbound I-80. I might post my plans in fictional when I decide. But I don't really know what to choose right now.
Personally, eastbound I would have NYC as the primary and State College, Hazleton and Stroudsburg as the secondaries.  Westbound, I would sign Cleveland as the primary from the George Washington Bridge with Patterson, Scranton, State College and Younstown as the secondaries.
I have always thought that secondaries do need to be signed with primaries at the very least on the mileage signs.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Flint1979

Quote from: roadman65 on July 25, 2023, 09:05:35 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 25, 2023, 08:59:56 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 25, 2023, 08:45:01 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/j9CHXcVoMYwXSyMx6
Using Morristown at this location now is worthless. Now with I-287 nearby, that particular freeway is better suited to get you there.

Considering that the next following exit for Pompton Lakes brings you that particular place there via US 202 anyway, just resign " Morristown " with Pompton Lakes on the US 202 guide ( removing it from the second exit) and problem solved.
I think the point here is that US-202 south does take you to Morristown.

Yeah but I-287 is faster.
That might be true but my point is that you will get to Morristown by taking US-202 as well. Might take longer but you'll still get there.

PNWRoadgeek

Quote from: hobsini2 on July 25, 2023, 11:21:31 AM
Personally, eastbound I would have NYC as the primary and State College, Hazleton and Stroudsburg as the secondaries.  Westbound, I would sign Cleveland as the primary from the George Washington Bridge with Patterson, Scranton, State College and Younstown as the secondaries.
I have always thought that secondaries do need to be signed with primaries at the very least on the mileage signs.
[/quote]
Williamsport should probably be mentioned westbound. It's kinda big and by Pennsylvania standards pretty big. Plus it's got it's own spur route. I'm fine with not signing it eastbound because I-99 will take you there. Wonder how Shuster feels about having his interstate criticized for having bad control cities. If he didn't choose Tyrone and Port Matilda as control cities, and didn't make it I-99, maybe his interstate would be better respected.

MATraveler128

I don't get why in Allentown, I-78 doesn't use New York on its control signage. Instead it uses either Bethlehem or New Jersey. It's not until Bethlehem on PA 33 that New York is used.
Formerly BlueOutback7

Lowest untraveled number: 96

Flint1979

I've heard of all three of those cities and I'm not in Pennsylvania on a regular basis at all. I-90 is barely in PA compared to I-80 as I-90 is only in the state for 45 miles and I-80 is in the state for 310 miles. I agree with making the distance between control cities a good distance apart and Limon is a hub city in Colorado despite it's size.

With just I-75's examples in Michigan starting in the Soo you have St. Ignace, Mackinac Bridge, Saginaw, Flint, Detroit and Toledo. The problem with I-80 in Pennsylvania is that it's 310 miles across the state and passes through a lot of smaller cities I think that the DOT's try to use cities in their own state as much as possible. I would have just gone with New York City for EB and Youngstown, OH for WB. A good control city is a city where most of the traffic is heading and a city of at least 50,000 people I think anyway.

Flint1979

Quote from: PNWRoadgeek on July 25, 2023, 11:31:12 AM
Williamsport should probably be mentioned westbound. It's kinda big and by Pennsylvania standards pretty big. Plus it's got it's own spur route. I'm fine with not signing it eastbound because I-99 will take you there. Wonder how Shuster feels about having his interstate criticized for having bad control cities. If he didn't choose Tyrone and Port Matilda as control cities, and didn't make it I-99, maybe his interstate would be better respected.
[/quote]
If you are talking about Cleveland, Ohio I think that's too far. Cleveland is 460 miles from the GWB and two states away, also I-80 never even enters Cleveland it comes closest at about 2 miles from the city limits and about 15 miles to downtown and then most people probably aren't headed to Cleveland from NYC.

hobsini2

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 25, 2023, 11:44:28 AM
If you are talking about Cleveland, Ohio I think that's too far. Cleveland is 460 miles from the GWB and two states away, also I-80 never even enters Cleveland it comes closest at about 2 miles from the city limits and about 15 miles to downtown and then most people probably aren't headed to Cleveland from NYC.
[/quote]
But if you use Cleveland, people will realize that it is more of a gateway to the rest of the big metros on the Great Lakes. Detroit, Chicago and Milwaukee bound traffic would have to bypass Cleveland. And besides, I-480 is the direct feed into the city.  That's why I would use it from the GWB.

PNWRoadgeek

Quote from: hobsini2 on July 26, 2023, 10:01:12 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 25, 2023, 11:44:28 AM
But if you use Cleveland, people will realize that it is more of a gateway to the rest of the big metros on the Great Lakes. Detroit, Chicago and Milwaukee bound traffic would have to bypass Cleveland. And besides, I-480 is the direct feed into the city.  That's why I would use it from the GWB.
[/quote]
In my opinion, I think State College/Scranton should be used out of NYC, then State College/Cleveland past I-380. Scranton, being one of PA's largest cities, should be on the bottom line on all mileage signs and pull-throughs until the junction with I-380. Then I don't really know from there, State College/Cleveland or State College/Youngstown?

Flint1979

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 26, 2023, 05:18:08 PM
New York and San Francisco
don't comment things that don't add to the conversation
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 26, 2023, 07:20:21 PM
don't comment things that don't add to the conversation
You mean like your comment? I wasn't even talking to you, I was talking to PNWRoadgeek.

PNWRoadgeek

New York is correct going eastbound. San Francisco signed from 3,000 miles away though... When Cleveland is much closer and just a little bit smaller.. Yeah, Cleveland works.

Flint1979

Quote from: PNWRoadgeek on July 27, 2023, 09:13:55 AM
New York is correct going eastbound. San Francisco signed from 3,000 miles away though... When Cleveland is much closer and just a little bit smaller.. Yeah, Cleveland works.
It'd be fine if you put like Cleveland, OH on it maybe. The problem is I-80 in Pennsylvania has a lot of small cities it goes through nothing really big and I'm not even sure of the biggest city it actually goes through either. I was joking about San Francisco but it would be ok since I-80 goes there, at one time it was suggested that I-75 have the control cities of Sault Ste. Marie and Miami.

PNWRoadgeek

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 27, 2023, 09:42:57 AM
Quote from: PNWRoadgeek on July 27, 2023, 09:13:55 AM
It'd be fine if you put like Cleveland, OH on it maybe. The problem is I-80 in Pennsylvania has a lot of small cities it goes through nothing really big and I'm not even sure of the biggest city it actually goes through either. I was joking about San Francisco but it would be ok since I-80 goes there, at one time it was suggested that I-75 have the control cities of Sault Ste. Marie and Miami.
The biggest city that I-80 actually goes through is either Sharon or Bloomsburg, it doesn't directly go through Hazleton(Which is bigger than both of those two places)but it serves Hazleton via I-81. Cleveland OH I guess could work? But most people traveling west on I-80 from NYC or PA probably know which state Cleveland is in, I think Scranton out of NYC, then State College, then Cleveland. However, Cleveland should always be the last line city on mileage signs.

PColumbus73

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.5982474,-79.1060745,3a,15y,232.43h,89.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYYaMBqlqliKSSJa8-I-E2w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Not necessarily a 'worthless' control city, but at the I-74/95 interchange in NC, I feel like Charlotte should get a mention for westbound traffic. If not a control city, maybe a supplementary sign.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7897874,-78.7677913,3a,35y,245.63h,98.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siS34BLJ7m6btJJqn18YG4Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Meanwhile in the Myrtle Beach area, westbound SC 22 has Conway as the control city for most of it's length. Since the highway is supposed to be the Conway Bypass, I feel like either Marion or Florence, SC would be better since the whole idea of SC 22 was to encourage tourists off of US 501. I would also replace TO US 501 with TO I-95 in the signage at US 17.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: PColumbus73 on July 27, 2023, 11:55:17 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.5982474,-79.1060745,3a,15y,232.43h,89.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYYaMBqlqliKSSJa8-I-E2w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Not necessarily a 'worthless' control city, but at the I-74/95 interchange in NC, I feel like Charlotte should get a mention for westbound traffic. If not a control city, maybe a supplementary sign.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7897874,-78.7677913,3a,35y,245.63h,98.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siS34BLJ7m6btJJqn18YG4Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Meanwhile in the Myrtle Beach area, westbound SC 22 has Conway as the control city for most of it's length. Since the highway is supposed to be the Conway Bypass, I feel like either Marion or Florence, SC would be better since the whole idea of SC 22 was to encourage tourists off of US 501. I would also replace TO US 501 with TO I-95 in the signage at US 17.

Charlotte and Rockingham should be the control cities there. Laurinburg is useless for long distance, anyone who knows where Laurinburg is also knows where Rockingham is.

SkyPesos

OhioDOT generally is pretty good with control cities, but they have a couple of worthless ones:

Marietta for I-77 SB south of Canton: I would go straight to Charleston WV, but Parkersburg (4th largest city in WV, somewhat close to Marietta, junction with US 50/Corridor D) is ok too. Cambridge should be skipped as it is now; way too many expressway diagonal routes in this area that long distance traffic that would've used the ramps to I-70 otherwise are using the diagonal routes.

Barberton and Lodi on I-76 WB from Akron. Barberton is dumb as it's a suburb of Akron, and Lodi is signed only because it's where I-76 ends at I-71. Replace both cities with Columbus, as the dominant movement past its terminus is to I-71 SB.

PNWRoadgeek

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 28, 2023, 08:52:17 AM
Marietta for I-77 SB south of Canton: I would go straight to Charleston WV, but Parkersburg (4th largest city in WV, somewhat close to Marietta, junction with US 50/Corridor D) is ok too. Cambridge should be skipped as it is now; way too many expressway diagonal routes in this area that long distance traffic that would've used the ramps to I-70 otherwise are using the diagonal routes.
Marietta is signed because it's the oldest city in Ohio. But I agree, I would sign Charleston out of Canton because it's the largest city in WV and there are 2 interstate junctions. However, only the one with I-64 would be useful, considering it could take you to Louisville. But I don't know if that's the fastest route.

Another worthless control city is Ellensburg out of Yakima on I-82 north.

Yes, I know, we meet I-90. But Seattle, is a big place. And if I-90 is signing it west of Spokane, I-82 should probably be signing Seattle out of Yakima instead of Ellensburg, which is sizable but Seattle is 30 times bigger or something like that. So signing Ellensburg out of Yakima instead of Seattle is just horrible. Also, from Boise you should be taking I-82 to get to Seattle. And the fact that I-82 isn't even signing it the entire way is beyond me. Maybe it's signed on mileage signs but I really am not going to waste my time trying to find one.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: PNWRoadgeek on July 28, 2023, 11:04:25 AM
Quote from: SkyPesos on July 28, 2023, 08:52:17 AM
Marietta is signed because it's the oldest city in Ohio. But I agree, I would sign Charleston out of Canton because it's the largest city in WV and there are 2 interstate junctions. However, only the one with I-64 would be useful, considering it could take you to Louisville. But I don't know if that's the fastest route.

Another worthless control city is Ellensburg out of Yakima on I-82 north.

Yes, I know, we meet I-90. But Seattle, is a big place. And if I-90 is signing it west of Spokane, I-82 should probably be signing Seattle out of Yakima instead of Ellensburg, which is sizable but Seattle is 30 times bigger or something like that. So signing Ellensburg out of Yakima instead of Seattle is just horrible. Also, from Boise you should be taking I-82 to get to Seattle. And the fact that I-82 isn't even signing it the entire way is beyond me. Maybe it's signed on mileage signs but I really am not going to waste my time trying to find one.

A lot of signing practices stem from the days when people weren't driving 300+ mile trips half as much as they do now.

PColumbus73

US 24 between Toledo and Fort Wayne sticks out to me as for the control cities along it. I understand in Ohio the standard practice is to have the next county seat as the control city for US and State routes, so I get Napoleon and Defiance, OH being control cities. But going west past Defiance, Antwerp, OH becomes the control city in Ohio.

And in Fort Wayne, US 24 has no control city (on signage at the I-469 interchange).

Give the impression that Indiana and Ohio like to pretend the other doesn't exist.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.