News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Lighter side: Hillside strangler strangling more than traffic.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mgk920

Quote from: Rothman on May 24, 2024, 11:18:02 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 24, 2024, 09:58:34 AM
Quote from: Rothman on May 24, 2024, 07:02:29 AM"Tollway didn't talk to us...but they cited two provisions to us.."

Agencies don't terminate contracts lightly.  It'd be great if journalists would wait to get the filed response to the plaintiff's complaint to report on such lawsuits to avoid one-sided articles like this due to legal advice to not talk about lawsuits...

So journalists shouldn't report on a lawsuit until the other side files a response? That's not really a great standard.

Sure it is.  It's called not printing a biased story.

Over a century ago, newspapers were at WAR against each other.  What you see now in the media is totally mild compared to then.

Mike

GeekJedi

Quote from: Rothman on May 24, 2024, 07:02:29 AM"Tollway didn't talk to us...but they cited two provisions to us.."

Agencies don't terminate contracts lightly.  It'd be great if journalists would wait to get the filed response to the plaintiff's complaint to report on such lawsuits to avoid one-sided articles like this due to legal advice to not talk about lawsuits...

So journalists shouldn't report on a lawsuit until the other side files a response? That's not really a great standard.

Interesting. So if something of note happens, I can keep it silent by not telling one side of the story? Sounds legit.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

Rothman

Quote from: GeekJedi on May 25, 2024, 01:54:09 PM

Interesting. So if something of note happens, I can keep it silent by not telling one side of the story? Sounds legit.

You can keep it silent until you're ready to report a balanced story.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SEWIGuy

"Printing" was actually happens isn't bias.  The fact that the other side doesn't respond isn't the fault of the publisher.

Rothman

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 26, 2024, 08:16:02 AM

"Printing" was actually happens isn't bias.  The fact that the other side doesn't respond isn't the fault of the publisher.

Pfft.  By law, the party must respond to the official complaint.  Journalists know this and choosing to print the story prior to the response is just wanting to run a biased story.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Rothman on May 26, 2024, 10:08:38 PM

Pfft.  By law, the party must respond to the official complaint.  Journalists know this and choosing to print the story prior to the response is just wanting to run a biased story.

I can't really have a discussion any longer with someone who doesn't understand what "bias" means or how journalism works.

Rothman

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 27, 2024, 08:20:55 AM
Quote from: Rothman on May 26, 2024, 10:08:38 PM

I can't really have a discussion any longer with someone who doesn't understand what "bias" means or how journalism works.

Ditto.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hobsini2

Quote from: Rothman on May 25, 2024, 09:55:31 PM
Quote from: GeekJedi on May 25, 2024, 01:54:09 PM

You can keep it silent until you're ready to report a balanced story.
Or you can be like Fox News and show bias but call it "Fair and balanced". But that's not why you called.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

J N Winkler

Folks, take care--this is verging on becoming a political discussion.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

ET21

On a more on track update, all the steel beams are up over 294 for the 490 ramp. On a side note, construction progress has finally begun to happen south of the I-90/490 interchange. Also a I-490 sign is currently turned backwards at what will be the future on ramp from EB I-90.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

paulthemapguy

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 25, 2024, 09:18:15 AMLighter side: Hillside strangler strangling more than traffic.

Strangling counts as "lighter side" content???

(obviously I took this out of context)
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.