In-&-Back Routes (between states, counties, etc.)

Started by golden eagle, October 14, 2009, 12:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njroadhorse

NJ 23 flip flops multiple times between Morris and Passaic Counties between Riverdale and Oak Ridge.

I believe I-195 also does this between Monmouth and Ocean Counties.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

WNYroadgeek

NY 21 near Naples goes into Yates County for a few miles before going back into Ontario County.

rmsandw

U.S. 20 & IL 83 in Cook County, IL
IL 123 in Sangamon County, IL
U.S. 51 in Shelby County, IL
Those are the quick few that poped in my head.

Along the same line you have I-80 in IL that WB goes Will, Kendall, then Grundy County, while EB goes Grundy to Will County.  Plus, IL 4 & 13 that SB IL 4/EB IL 13 goes St. Clair to Randolph County, while NB IL 4/WB IL 13 goes Randolph, Washington, then St. Clair County.
http://roads.billburmaster.com  Roads of the Mid-South & West
http://www.youtube.com/user/rmsandw YouTube Channel
http://www.billburmaster.com

Mr_Northside

An occasion of an interstate doing this that comes to mind is I-70 - in between Zanesville & Columbus - back & forths between Licking County & Muskingum County.

A non-interstate example that comes to mind is US-219... which bounces back & forth between Jefferson & Clearfield (Pennsylvania) counties a couple of times, starting south of DuBois to Brockway.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

74/171FAN

I-64 and US 250 enters Goochland County and Louisa County twice NW of Richmond

SR 608 in Prince George County enters Dinwiddie County right before Richard Bland and then quickly reenters Prince George for a short stint before reentering Dinwiddie just south of the Petersburg City Limits
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Bickendan

Northbound I-5 does this with Clackamas and Washington Counties in Oregon. It enters Washington County north of Wilsonville at a north-northwest angle and curves north onto SW 65th Ave, the county line. Northbound reenters Clackamas County; southbound is in Washington County. The county-line straddle continues (on SW 65th Ave) on the Multnomah County side of the Multnomah-Clackamas border until I-5 curves away from Washington County into Portland just south of OR 99W.

topay

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 16, 2009, 04:25:24 PM
I-64 and US 250 enters Goochland County and Louisa County twice NW of Richmond

SR 608 in Prince George County enters Dinwiddie County right before Richard Bland and then quickly reenters Prince George for a short stint before reentering Dinwiddie just south of the Petersburg City Limits

What's particularly interesting about I-64/US 250 is that even though they're parallel along that corridor, the sequence of counties is slightly different.  US 250 clips the NW and NE corners of Fluvanna County, giving it an extra "repeat county".

I-64 (from the East)
Henrico
Goochland
Louisa
Goochland
Louisa
Fluvanna
Albemarle

US 250 (from the East)
Henrico
Goochland
Louisa
Goochland
Fluvanna
Louisa
Fluvanna
Albemarle

Another I-64 instance in Virginia is near Williamsburg, where I-64 traverses (from the East):
Newport News
James City County
York County
James City County
New Kent County

And on I-295 around Richmond (clockwise, from I-64 Short Pump):
Henrico County
Hanover County
Henrico County
Chesterfield County

And, although I don't count them, one could argue that Virginia's independent cities allow for repeat counties on all sorts of Interstates, US Routes, and State Routes.

Bryant5493

Georgia State Route 212 enters Newton and Jasper counties three times, as it straddles these two county lines. Cities served by this route are Monticello, county seat of Jasper County, and Milledgeville, countyseat of Baldwin County and the former capital of Georgia, from 1806 to 1868. Louisville (pronounced Loo-is-ville) preceded Milledgeville as Georgia's capital (1796 to 1806) and Milledgeville was succeded by the current capital, Atlanta (1868 to present).

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Scott5114

Quote from: Bryant5493 on October 31, 2009, 09:18:48 PM
Georgia State Route 212 enters Newton and Jasper counties three times

Bizarre...Missouri also has Newton and Jasper counties...Joplin is split between them!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

UptownRoadGeek

U.S. 90 Business leaving I-10 (Orleans Parish) enters Jefferson Parish briefly over the river and then back into Orleans while still over the river then curves around into Jefferson right after the bridge.

Marc

Quote from: algorerhythms on October 14, 2009, 12:52:49 AM
I-40 does this in Carroll County, Tennessee, if I remember correctly.
I-55 does the same for Carroll County, Mississippi too.

Greybear

In Arkansas:

I-530 goes from Pulaski Co. to Saline Co. between Exits 9 and 10. It then re-enters Pulaski Co. between Exits 12 and 15.

Bryant5493

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 01, 2009, 07:13:43 PM
Quote from: Bryant5493 on October 31, 2009, 09:18:48 PM
Georgia State Route 212 enters Newton and Jasper counties three times

Bizarre...Missouri also has Newton and Jasper counties...Joplin is split between them!

Yeah, I found out about S.R. 212's routing through these counties while producing a YouTube video. Another Newton and Jasper counties next to one another... odd.

Quote from: Annunciation70130 on November 01, 2009, 09:37:38 PM
U.S. 90 Business leaving I-10 (Orleans Parish) enters Jefferson Parish briefly over the river and then back into Orleans while still over the river then curves around into Jefferson right after the bridge.

I forgot about that.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

TheStranger

Route 35 in Northern California starts out winding between Santa Clara and Santa Cruz counties for several miles, due to mountainous geography...
Chris Sampang

Bryant5493

Georgia State Route 141 begins at U.S. 19/S.R. 9 in Buckhead (in Fulton County), goes into DeKalb County, then Gwinnett County, then re-enters Fulton County (Johns Creek) and then terminates its "life" at Georgia 400, south of Cumming.

Be well,

Bryant

hbelkins

If I am not mistaken, the Blue Ridge Parkway meanders across county lines several times through Virginia.

There are several instances of this in Kentucky, probably too numerous to mention. For those of you who like Kentucky's four-digit routes, KY 2022 does this. Begins at Buckhorn in Perry County, crosses a very remote corner of Owsley County, then terminates in a "landlocked" area of Perry County where you cannot reach this area by highway without going out of the county. I believe Froggie drove this paved goat path when he made a trip to eastern Kentucky a few years ago.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

xonhulu

US 212 approaching Yellowstone goes from MT into WY, then back into MT, where it technically ends at the park boundary.  However, if you continue you enter WY again inside the park.

Doesn't I-86/NY 17 briefly enter PA?

corco

To elaborate on US-212, it appears that the US Forest Service maintains the road within Wyoming, as that's the only place you'll find reassurance shields without identifying markers in Wyoming, and the signs are really old, but built to Wyoming spec (2di width). The only normal WYDOT signs you'll find are the ones right by the WYO 296 junction for that highway.

Also, if you want to be technical, US-212 again enters Wyoming from Montana and clips the northeastern corner of the state before heading into South Dakota

Also in Wyoming, US-191 briefly re-enters Wyoming from Montana and then leaves it again just north of W. Yellowstone, Mont.

Wyoming State Highway 70 actually enters Colorado, but Wyoming keeps maintenance...

Wyoming informs you you're leaving Wyoming, but doesn't tell you what state you're entering

Then in the 2/3 of a mile or so WYO 70 is in Colorado there's one significant WYDOT sign for the post office in Slater, Colo.

Then you re-enter Wyoming

Ian

Well, there is an interesting case of Maine route 113. It briefly enters New Hampshire, twice! And it is even signed as ME 113 in NH! What is more bizarre is that there is even a spur off of ME 113 in NH, that is NH 113B. Odd occurance of a Maine route's spur being a NH route.t

There is also MD/DE 54 that straddles along the DE/MD border on the southern part of DE.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

WNYroadgeek

PA 426 enters New York, becomes NY 426, re-enters Pennsylvania, and becomes PA 426 again.

xonhulu

Quote from: corco on November 29, 2009, 07:17:34 PM
To elaborate on US-212, it appears that the US Forest Service maintains the road within Wyoming, as that's the only place you'll find reassurance shields without identifying markers in Wyoming, and the signs are really old, but built to Wyoming spec (2di width). The only normal WYDOT signs you'll find are the ones right by the WYO 296 junction for that highway.

Is it the Forest Service or Park Service?  I passed what looked like a highway maintenance facility climbing up to Beartooth Pass that had a Park Service shield at the gate and thought that was pretty odd.

Also, if you want to be technical, US-212 again enters Wyoming from Montana and clips the northeastern corner of the state before heading into South Dakota

Forgot about this one, but you're right.

QuoteAlso in Wyoming, US-191 briefly re-enters Wyoming from Montana and then leaves it again just north of W. Yellowstone, Mont.

I also forgot about this one, which I drove last summer on the way home.  It also re-enters Yellowstone National Park (entrance signs and all); this stretch is noteworthy because I saw 2 US 191 shields posted here proving that some US Routes are signed in Yellowstone!

Ian

There is also NJ 440 that enters New York, becomes NY 440, then enters back into New Jersey becoming NJ 440 again.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

PAHighways

Quote from: xonhulu on November 29, 2009, 07:02:50 PMDoesn't I-86/NY 17 briefly enter PA?

Yes, but it is maintained by NYSDOT and NYSP has jurisdiction.

Chris

Quote from: xonhulu on November 29, 2009, 07:02:50 PM
US 212 approaching Yellowstone goes from MT into WY, then back into MT, where it technically ends at the park boundary.  However, if you continue you enter WY again inside the park.

And again in far northeastern Wyoming.

US 50 runs through extreme southwest Maryland, then enters WV and VA, and then enters MD again at Washington.

I think we had this topic before though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.