News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NC/SC border to be redrawn

Started by golden eagle, May 30, 2016, 10:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on July 15, 2016, 02:21:49 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 15, 2016, 01:36:15 PM
Quote from: vdeane on July 15, 2016, 01:17:54 PM
I imagine that, with all the tourists, they're trying to avoid drawing attention to the fact that it's in the wrong spot.

Probably, not to mention it would cost a mint to relocate the monument to the correct location.  It greatly amuses me though to tell people about the inaccuracy when they post family photos...and then ask why they didn't tell me they were going to my old stomping grounds since I could have told them about a dozen better places to go on the Plateau.  :-D

Sometimes the lore is much more fun, armchair pendants be darned.

Ironic you say that, I just got accused of being an arm chair Californian roads person who doesn't read up on the legislative measures enough and instead focuses on the fantasy aspect of the discussion....at least I think that I did?  :hmmm:  Anyways, lore is well and good in my book...I have some pretty fun urban legends gathered about roads and ghost towns that I love to tell people. 

NE2

Quote from: hbelkins on July 15, 2016, 02:15:36 PM
"Word is ...?" citation needed

I'd never heard this before. You mean I really wasn't standing in all four states when I had my picture taken there 25 years ago?  :angry:
http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/INFO/fourcorners.shtml
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kalvado

Quote from: usends on July 15, 2016, 01:42:59 PM
That's why this whole NC/SC controversy confuses me: even if a boundary monument is not located exactly where it ought to have been (which is true in just about every case, to a greater or lesser extent), once the boundary as surveyed has been accepted by the relevant jurisdictions, that becomes the legal boundary... regardless of any future claims of inaccuracy.
As far as I understand, it was surveyed not along entire length, and marks were put on trees and such. 
As far as I understand, this is the greenfield survey, so to say - there is some previous stuff, but no mutually agreed line on the ground.

On a separate note: 
There is a so-called "ceremonial South pole" - a location to take photos, etc - 600 feet from the actual pole. Actual pole marker is relocated once a year to account for ice drift etc.
Although once you got there, probably few hundred feet don't matter that much.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.