AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Interstate 87 (NC-VA)  (Read 169474 times)

ahj2000

• Last Login: March 05, 2021, 07:22:21 PM
Re: Interstate 87 (NC-VA)
« Reply #1650 on: February 21, 2021, 10:46:24 PM »

IMO I think US 264 should be decommissioned being itís a one state route and itís going to be concurrent west of Greenville completely with it and I-87. Itís just almost there but 65 miles shy, so just give the non freeway part a state number and be done.
Why not route it onto 264 Alt?
As a complete route, it deserves an interstate shield
Agree with this.

I think it should just be left as US 264. It is not an inter-state route. Hell its barely a full-state route. Its been 264 since 1932, why change it now? No actual benefit comes from adding an interstate number, other than the federal funding for NC DOT. The road doesn't need a new number, or new and incorrect cardinal directions. All these interstate "projects" here are just a waste of time, money, and effort.

It wasn't NCDOT's idea. US-264 became a future interstate because Greenville had been pushing like hell for it since late 2012. NCDOT usually gives in to the locals, especially where eastern NC is concerned. ENC usually carries a lot of weight in state politics.

That said, I don't have a problem with I-587 (other than NCDOT signing it N/S :banghead:). It's already a 70mph freeway and once the ongoing upgrade project between the Wilson/Greene county line and Greenville wraps up, all that will be left to upgrade is the stretch between Sims and Zebulon.
How about I-595?
Well since it starts at 87, I think 87 makes more sense as a spur of that route. However, that makes less sense when you look above and realize that you would go north on 587 and south on 87 to go from Greenville to Raleigh. Thatís such a weird routing. Iíd prefer E-W signing, just because it seems opposite to use N-S like they do.

sparker

• Last Login: March 05, 2021, 05:25:22 AM
« Reply #1651 on: February 22, 2021, 02:48:17 AM »

IMO I think US 264 should be decommissioned being itís a one state route and itís going to be concurrent west of Greenville completely with it and I-87. Itís just almost there but 65 miles shy, so just give the non freeway part a state number and be done.
Agree with this.

I think it should just be left as US 264. It is not an inter-state route. Hell its barely a full-state route. Its been 264 since 1932, why change it now? No actual benefit comes from adding an interstate number, other than the federal funding for NC DOT. The road doesn't need a new number, or new and incorrect cardinal directions. All these interstate "projects" here are just a waste of time, money, and effort.

It wasn't NCDOT's idea. US-264 became a future interstate because Greenville had been pushing like hell for it since late 2012. NCDOT usually gives in to the locals, especially where eastern NC is concerned. ENC usually carries a lot of weight in state politics.

That said, I don't have a problem with I-587 (other than NCDOT signing it N/S :banghead:). It's already a 70mph freeway and once the ongoing upgrade project between the Wilson/Greene county line and Greenville wraps up, all that will be left to upgrade is the stretch between Sims and Zebulon.
How about I-595?
Well since it starts at 87, I think 87 makes more sense as a spur of that route. However, that makes less sense when you look above and realize that you would go north on 587 and south on 87 to go from Greenville to Raleigh. Thatís such a weird routing. Iíd prefer E-W signing, just because it seems opposite to use N-S like they do.

Actually, at 60+ miles, it might even make more sense as an even 2di, such as the I-46 that I-87 should have been; but since it's only within NC, I-48 might even work.  At least (unlike I-42/NC 42) the like-signed state routes don't intersect this pending Interstate.  (I anticipate some flack for this notion!)

amroad17

• Last Login: March 02, 2021, 01:26:43 AM
« Reply #1652 on: February 22, 2021, 10:53:59 PM »

Regarding I-587 being signed North-South (instead of West-East), tell NCDOT to check I-380 in both PA and IA, I-190 and I-390 in NY, I-270 in MD, and I-464 in VA to see that 3DI spurs of 2DIs do not need to have the same cardinal direction as their "parent".  As said by some of our posters, NCDOT needs to brush up on the "understood rules" regarding 2DIs and 3DIs.

NCDOT, just sign future I-587 West-East as that is the direction the soon to be overlapped US 264 is. 

Nothing like going from Greenville to Raleigh North at first, then South--all the while heading West.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

tolbs17

• Last Login: Today at 12:11:14 AM
« Reply #1653 on: February 22, 2021, 11:01:38 PM »

Agree with this.

How about I-595?

Actually, at 60+ miles, it might even make more sense as an even 2di, such as the I-46 that I-87 should have been; but since it's only within NC, I-48 might even work.  At least (unlike I-42/NC 42) the like-signed state routes don't intersect this pending Interstate.  (I anticipate some flack for this notion!)
It's definitely as long as I-12.

tolbs17

• Last Login: Today at 12:11:14 AM
« Reply #1654 on: February 22, 2021, 11:03:33 PM »

Regarding I-587 being signed North-South (instead of West-East), tell NCDOT to check I-380 in both PA and IA, I-190 and I-390 in NY, I-270 in MD, and I-464 in VA to see that 3DI spurs of 2DIs do not need to have the same cardinal direction as their "parent".  As said by some of our posters, NCDOT needs to brush up on the "understood rules" regarding 2DIs and 3DIs.

NCDOT, just sign future I-587 West-East as that is the direction the soon to be overlapped US 264 is. 

Nothing like going from Greenville to Raleigh North at first, then South--all the while heading West.
sprjus4, LM117, (and others) have definitely complained about that direction signage that looks bad. Including me.

sparker

• Last Login: March 05, 2021, 05:25:22 AM
« Reply #1655 on: February 23, 2021, 05:37:01 AM »

Agree with this.

How about I-595?

It's definitely as long as I-12.

Actually, I-12 is about 85 miles long; US 264(I-587) between US 64 (I-87) and Greenville is approximately the same length as I-19 in AZ. 

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: March 05, 2021, 05:40:26 PM
« Reply #1656 on: February 23, 2021, 02:29:47 PM »

Of course, Interstate 587 can't exist until Interstate 87 reaches present-day Exit 436, at the very least (not to mention both routes being upgraded to Interstate Standards). I also agree that Interstates 87 and 587 should be signed as East-West (87 at least to Williamston, 587 its entire route).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.