News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Making my stuff come up in Flickr search.

Started by jbnv, July 14, 2016, 08:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

I've added several Louisiana highway signs to my Flickr account in anticipation of using them in the 1-2-3 Sign Number Challenge. I'm concerned that people may not be able to find my pictures in search.

For example, check out the search results for "970 route sign". You have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the results to get to my pictures (two pictures of a sign for LA 970). This is even though I put all of the search words in the title and added several pertinent tags to the pictures.

Anybody have some tips on how I can make my pictures show up better in search?
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

formulanone

If you tag the photos with a number or other information, then the search bar at the top left will help you find it.

Your pics will appear near the top, your followers below, and then the rest of Flickr after that (obligatory possible NSFW caution).

jbnv

They're showing up at the top when I'm logged in as myself. It's when I'm not logged in that it's an issue.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

formulanone

For the record, I've have you as "followed", and typing in "970 route" now shows them in that list; but yours are further down the list. It takes a few minutes if you recently began to follow someone.

Quote from: jbnv on July 15, 2016, 08:28:23 AM
They're showing up at the top when I'm logged in as myself. It's when I'm not logged in that it's an issue.

That's where it gets tricky...if you're not logged in, then Flickr seems to go by how many favorites a photo has, or how popular it is by the number of comments. I also think it figures in how many followers that user has to raise it among the top of the list, or how long ago it was uploaded to Flickr.

Of course, if you add your own obscure tags, or just the right combination of tags, then helps it go near the top.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.