News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

California

Started by andy3175, July 20, 2016, 12:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: Techknow on May 03, 2019, 11:46:46 PM
Pop quiz! Choose all the squares with a car in it

What state was this picture taken at? Bonus points if you can figure out where in the state!

Hey, I got that one once too! EB CA 58 at the Broome Rd exit crossing the Tehachapis. I know the exit well; this picture was taken off the overpass: https://www.floodgap.com/iv/3714

Max Rockatansky

Finished up my last two photo albums from the recent San Diego trip.  I unexpectedly found myself headed to the west terminus of I-8 and onward to part of former CA 209 headed to Point Loma.  I also ended up driving I-5 from CA 54 north to CA 99:

I-5 from CA 54 to CA 99

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmxX5qX1

Former CA 209 and Cabrillo National Monument

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmc5nZFv

I-8 west terminus

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmDbGzhu

I'm way behind on blogs on Gribblenation but I do have existing articles for CA 209, CA 75 and Ridge Route/Grapevine part of I-5.  I'm hoping to have everything updated within the next 10 days but I have some Mid West stuff I still need to go through.  Long term I'm debating the viability of I-5 series given I frequent it so often.  The second section would definitely would be from CA 99 north to CA 152.

SoCal Kid

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2019, 11:17:59 PM
Finished up my last two photo albums from the recent San Diego trip.  I unexpectedly found myself headed to the west terminus of I-8 and onward to part of former CA 209 headed to Point Loma.  I also ended up driving I-5 from CA 54 north to CA 99:

I-5 from CA 54 to CA 99

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmxX5qX1

Former CA 209 and Cabrillo National Monument

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmc5nZFv

I-8 west terminus

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmDbGzhu

I'm way behind on blogs on Gribblenation but I do have existing articles for CA 209, CA 75 and Ridge Route/Grapevine part of I-5.  I'm hoping to have everything updated within the next 10 days but I have some Mid West stuff I still need to go through.  Long term I'm debating the viability of I-5 series given I frequent it so often.  The second section would definitely would be from CA 99 north to CA 152.
Nice! Still annoyed at the Beaches control city at the western terminus. Could've been "Oceanside Communities" or "Beach Communities". Then again, could that fit on that sign?
Are spurs of spurs of spurs of loops of spurs of loops a thing? ;)

Techknow

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on May 04, 2019, 01:40:27 AM
Hey, I got that one once too! EB CA 58 at the Broome Rd exit crossing the Tehachapis. I know the exit well; this picture was taken off the overpass: https://www.floodgap.com/iv/3714
I haven't got this Captcha yet, found the picture in a Slack channel. I did point out the picture was definitely taken in California because of the exit tab is inside not outside of the sign

sparker

Quote from: SoCal Kid on May 05, 2019, 01:10:09 AM
Nice! Still annoyed at the Beaches control city at the western terminus. Could've been "Oceanside Communities" or "Beach Communities". Then again, could that fit on that sign?

Just be glad they didn't say "other Beach cities":biggrin:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on May 05, 2019, 04:27:43 AM

Is that stupid sign still on I-10?  I always thought was amusing when I was leaving the Riverside area headed home to Phoenix. 

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 05, 2019, 01:13:01 PM

Is that stupid sign still on I-10?  I always thought was amusing when I was leaving the Riverside area headed home to Phoenix. 

Last time I was through there (disclaimer: back in the fall of 2012) the sign, located at the CA 111 EB divergence near Whitewater, was still, along with that particular strange syntax, intact.  At least it's a remaining example of the old Caltrans "button copy on porcelain" sign standard.    If any SoCal posters know different, please chime in!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on May 05, 2019, 07:24:11 PM

Last time I was through there (disclaimer: back in the fall of 2012) the sign, located at the CA 111 EB divergence near Whitewater, was still, along with that particular strange syntax, intact.  At least it's a remaining example of the old Caltrans "button copy on porcelain" sign standard.    If any SoCal posters know different, please chime in!

I can confirm that it was there by early 2013 as well.  After that I haven't been on any part of I-10 west of Box Canyon Road. 

ClassicHasClass

As of two weeks ago it was still there. I'll check tomorrow (out in Coachella on business).

skluth

Quote from: sparker on May 05, 2019, 07:24:11 PM

Yes, the sign says "Indio other Desert Cities." It's where I turn off for Palm Springs when I go home any time I need to head through the pass.

ClassicHasClass

As of 7am this morning, both "other Desert Cities" signs are still up on the original enamel. You can all breathe again.  :)

Techknow

Last night I saw an orange detour sign at Daly City and I just managed to take a photo of it.

I love making these kinds of discoveries (a year ago I posted a Pinnacles NP sign when the dirt for the post holes were there), but I'll let others theorize how they sign even got made...

skluth

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on May 06, 2019, 09:05:27 PM
As of 7am this morning, both "other Desert Cities" signs are still up on the original enamel. You can all breathe again.  :)

There are also brown information signs around the Palm Springs airport directing drivers to "Other Resort Cities" meaning any Coachella Valley city besides Palm Springs.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Techknow on May 07, 2019, 10:50:24 AM
Last night I saw an orange detour sign at Daly City and I just managed to take a photo of it.

I love making these kinds of discoveries (a year ago I posted a Pinnacles NP sign when the dirt for the post holes were there), but I'll let others theorize how they sign even got made...

Error aside, Caltrans has been using those signs for construction detours as of late.  There a ton of similar signs all over District 6, they make me miss the Orange cut-outs that were popular a couple years back. It makes me curious how many will hit the scrap market, I'd love to pick up a few if they become available. 

ClassicHasClass

I couldn't get a shot of it, but at the widening of the CA 46/I-5 junction (very, very needed), they have a SOUTH banner in orange and a 5 without the California on a misshapen state route shield. Yuck.

djsekani

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on May 07, 2019, 12:45:56 PM
I couldn't get a shot of it, but at the widening of the CA 46/I-5 junction (very, very needed), they have a SOUTH banner in orange and a 5 without the California on a misshapen state route shield. Yuck.

I'll see if I can get a picture later today, but in San Clemente there's a DETOUR sign for I-5 where they just used a regular CA-5 shield instead of the interstate one.

BigManFromAFRICA88

Quote from: Techknow on May 07, 2019, 10:50:24 AM

IDK why, but one of my biggest pet-peeves has grown to be misused shields, especially the SH/SR-for-Interstate swap.

Actually, now thinking about where I split time the most (Utah and California), it checks out.

MarkF

The newly redone ramp to southbound I-405 from southbound Culver Drive in Irvine uses two posts for its freeway entrance sign, I think I've only seen single post versions of this up to now in California.

roadfro

^ It appears to be a larger than normal sign assembly, which could explain the double posts.

It's also unusual in that the freeway entrance sign is below the shield, and the assembly is missing the white-on-blue down arrow at the bottom that typically signifies where the entrance actually is.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

ClassicHasClass

Kind of a weird typeface on the shield, too.

Max Rockatansky

Picked up an old I-5 button copy shield from a recycled BGS:

Untitled by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 16, 2019, 11:04:51 PM

Is it now permanently stuck to the old guide sign? I see what appears to be the old guide sign, cut around the edges.

I also don't know how guide signs are constructed; for all I know, the guide sign is the only thing holding the shield together!

In any case, gorgeous shield. Would love one of those myself.

nexus73

Beautiful I-5 sign and one of a good size too.  You did a good job illuminating it.  Imagine this one at night when it was new!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on May 16, 2019, 11:43:57 PM

Is it now permanently stuck to the old guide sign? I see what appears to be the old guide sign, cut around the edges.

I also don't know how guide signs are constructed; for all I know, the guide sign is the only thing holding the shield together!

In any case, gorgeous shield. Would love one of those myself.

It might be possible to remove what is left of the guide sign but don't know what that would do to the rivets holding everything together.  For now I left it as is, I was surprised to find a button-copy that had so many reflectors and clean paint on it. 

ClassicHasClass

Very nice. I've got an I-8 myself with the glued-on buttons.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.