News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

California

Started by andy3175, July 20, 2016, 12:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: fungus on February 17, 2021, 10:28:39 PM
Looks like California may be canceling Christopher Columbus on I-10. The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors unanimously investigated and the state legislature will introduce a resolution to dename the Christopher Columbus Transcontinental Highway.  http://file.lacounty.gov/SDSInter/bos/bc/1102737_ReportonBdMtgof101320_Item59-G_021221.pdf
Nipping political talk on this one in the bud - take it elsewhere

bing101

Looks like California may be canceling Christopher Columbus on I-10. The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors unanimously investigated and the state legislature will introduce a resolution to dename the Christopher Columbus Transcontinental Highway.  http://file.lacounty.gov/SDSInter/bos/bc/1102737_ReportonBdMtgof101320_Item59-G_021221.pdf

Wait isn't a section of the Santa Monica Freeway named after Rosa Parks? But in this case the posting was also supposed to address Native American issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Parks_Highway

bing101

Here is a tour of I-5 by Highway Heaven.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bing101 on February 18, 2021, 10:16:10 AM

Wait isn't a section of the Santa Monica Freeway named after Rosa Parks? But in this case the posting was also supposed to address Native American issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Parks_Highway

Yes, there is between 405 and 110:

https://www.cahighways.org/ROUTE010.html

fungus

It looks like Columbus was never posted on the Florida end of I-10, so it is essentially an orphan sign. And I doubt it's posted in between either. It's very possible that by posting the exact location of the sign, Caltrans' job may be done for them even before it gets to the legislature.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2017.msg2566347#msg2566347

bing101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dosan_Ahn_Chang_Ho_Memorial_Interchange
There is the Dosan Ahn Chang Ho interchange where I-10 and CA-110/I-110 meet and it's named after a Korean-American activist in the link.

But then again the memo had to be about Native American issues that is the reason on Columbus removal.

kkt

I'm not sure why I-10 or any other freeway on the west coast should be named after Columbus.  He discovered the islands in the Carribean chain, the Bahamas, and Central America, not any part of North America.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on February 18, 2021, 09:01:28 PM
I'm not sure why I-10 or any other freeway on the west coast should be named after Columbus.  He discovered the islands in the Carribean chain, the Bahamas, and Central America, not any part of North America.

I'm not even sure why it would be a Federal Holiday.  Then again, it probably is my personal favorite since it falls in October when most Federal employees have kids in school and can't crowd on my Fall Vacation.  For all I care it could be a Federal Holiday for just about anything and I would gladly take the day off just the same. 

roadfro

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 18, 2021, 09:21:43 PM

I'm not even sure why it would be a Federal Holiday.  Then again, it probably is my personal favorite since it falls in October when most Federal employees have kids in school and can't crowd on my Fall Vacation.  For all I care it could be a Federal Holiday for just about anything and I would gladly take the day off just the same.

Indulging the thread drift briefly... While Columbus Day is a federal holiday, there are several states that do not observe it. Nevada is one of them–I cannot ever recall having the day off from school when I was younger, and I (working at a state university) don't get days off for it now. However, Nevada does have the nearby "Nevada Day" as a state holiday, which is the observance of our state's admission to the union. It was originally observed on the actual date (October 31st) but has been observed on the last Friday in October since 2000, although apparently a bill has been introduced in the legislature to move it back to October 31st (which I would've liked in the past but now am not in favor of).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadfro on February 19, 2021, 12:05:56 PM

Indulging the thread drift briefly... While Columbus Day is a federal holiday, there are several states that do not observe it. Nevada is one of them–I cannot ever recall having the day off from school when I was younger, and I (working at a state university) don't get days off for it now. However, Nevada does have the nearby "Nevada Day" as a state holiday, which is the observance of our state's admission to the union. It was originally observed on the actual date (October 31st) but has been observed on the last Friday in October since 2000, although apparently a bill has been introduced in the legislature to move it back to October 31st (which I would've liked in the past but now am not in favor of).

I can't recall if I had it off either when I was younger but I also want to say some States didn't observe other Federal holidays like Presidents Day also.  When I became a Federal Employee eight years ago one of the best side benefits was either taking all the Federal Holidays off or use it as a floating holiday later in the same week.  I've used it to my advantage many times for road trips related purposes over long weekends. 

kkt

Columbus Day is not a state holiday in California, Oregon, or Washington. 

Alps

I feel like all the kids (and maybe their parents) would be in favor of that.

skluth

I'm a retired Federal employee. We considered it a nice day off. It was the only holiday where nobody I knew did anything to commemorate the day, and that includes MLK and Presidents Day. Now it's an annoying reason not to get mail delivered.

TheStranger

Live police chase right now and the driver is on the freeway segment of La Cienega Boulevard (the planned 170 corridor from decades ago)!

https://abc7.com/watch/23340/

Chris Sampang

roadfro

Quote from: Alps on February 19, 2021, 11:19:52 PM

I feel like all the kids (and maybe their parents) would be in favor of that.

As a kid, it was nice to have the actual Nevada Day off, because it was also Halloween. However, as a teenager (when it changed) and now adult, the three day weekend is more appealing.

Also part of the reason the state proposed moving the actual observance of Nevada Day to Fridays in the first place was to give people more of an opportunity to travel to the annual parade in Carson City (especially for rural school bands, etc. to participate in said parade) and to hold other celebrations of statehood that are less feasible to do mid-week.

The original move of Nevada Day was carried out, I think first through citizen referendum vote (roughly 56% support) and then subsequent legislative action. The current action is just a bill in the legislature, and I don't think it has widespread support.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadfro

Wasn't sure which of our SR 1 threads to put this in, but just had this article pop up in my feed from The Washington Post about the recent closure around Big Sur, and how such closures are becoming a more common phenomenon.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/interactive/2021/highway-one-big-sur-wildfires-climate-change/

ixnay

Quote from: kkt on February 19, 2021, 11:10:34 PM
Columbus Day is not a state holiday in California, Oregon, or Washington.

For some years after the Federal Martin Luther King holiday was enacted, Maryland continued to observe the holiday on King's birthday, January 15 (Jan. 14 if the 15th was a Saturday, Jan. 16 if the 15th was a Sunday).  I forget when Maryland moved its MLK Day into line with the Federal holiday.

And to take this back to highways and not necessarily who to name them after, any timetable for the reopening of the collapsed CA 1 stretch?  You can guide me upthread if you want to.

Nevermind, I see it at https://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/highway_conditions.html

ixnay

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadfro on March 02, 2021, 03:09:53 PM
Wasn't sure which of our SR 1 threads to put this in, but just had this article pop up in my feed from The Washington Post about the recent closure around Big Sur, and how such closures are becoming a more common phenomenon.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/interactive/2021/highway-one-big-sur-wildfires-climate-change/

I still need to track down in the CHPW when it became an all year road. 

TJS23

Question from my trip to LA and Big Bear, the last time I went deep into the Inland Empire was August 2019 and when I passed Interstate 15 on EB 10 the sign said Las Vegas and SD. I didn't go past that particular interchange this time but all the signs for 215 and 15 now say Barstow. Was that a new change or was the EB 10 sign a special thing always there because that's the mainline route?

sparker

Quote from: TJS23 on March 03, 2021, 03:15:33 AM
Question from my trip to LA and Big Bear, the last time I went deep into the Inland Empire was August 2019 and when I passed Interstate 15 on EB 10 the sign said Las Vegas and SD. I didn't go past that particular interchange this time but all the signs for 215 and 15 now say Barstow. Was that a new change or was the EB 10 sign a special thing always there because that's the mainline route?

When I was working in Ontario about a quarter-mile from that interchange, the EB10>NB15 ramp cited both Barstow and Las Vegas (as of 2012).  Since that's the principal L.A. - Vegas corridor, it seemed to be a natural if somewhat gratuitous choice.  IIRC, the pull-throughs on I-15 at both CA 210 and I-15 only reference Barstow; Las Vegas isn't mentioned on overhead BGS's until the 15/40 split (this was also as of 2012; if anyone knows different feel free to correct here).   

ClassicHasClass

Nope, that's still the case. For the record, I-215 always said Barstow north of I-10.

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

skluth

Quote from: sparker on March 03, 2021, 10:23:47 AM

When I was working in Ontario about a quarter-mile from that interchange, the EB10>NB15 ramp cited both Barstow and Las Vegas (as of 2012).  Since that's the principal L.A. - Vegas corridor, it seemed to be a natural if somewhat gratuitous choice.  IIRC, the pull-throughs on I-15 at both CA 210 and I-15 only reference Barstow; Las Vegas isn't mentioned on overhead BGS's until the 15/40 split (this was also as of 2012; if anyone knows different feel free to correct here).

It's pretty common throughout the US to use distant control cities at major interstate interchanges. For example, interchanges where interstates meet around St Louis will display Tulsa (I-44), Memphis (I-55), and Kansas City (I-70). These same interstates show more local control cities like Springfield, Cape Girardeau, and Columbia. I can point out similar examples all over the North and East.

TheStranger

Quote from: skluth on March 04, 2021, 03:16:59 PM
Quote from: sparker on March 03, 2021, 10:23:47 AM

It's pretty common throughout the US to use distant control cities at major interstate interchanges. For example, interchanges where interstates meet around St Louis will display Tulsa (I-44), Memphis (I-55), and Kansas City (I-70). These same interstates show more local control cities like Springfield, Cape Girardeau, and Columbia. I can point out similar examples all over the North and East.
California is one of the few states that pretty much almost entirely tries using local or in-state control cities whenever possible right?

Reno and Vegas and Oregon Coast are three out of state ones I know are used here, not sure when Phoenix and Portland first show up.

Kinda wild to think how relatively nearby all of the listed destinations at the East Los Angeles Interchange originally were, prior to Sacramento replacing Bakersfield for 5 north.

SM-G973U1

Chris Sampang

ClassicHasClass

Phoenix on I-10 starts showing up in Indio ("I-10 Blythe Phoenix"), which is logical, since the prior control city is Indio (and occasionally Beaumont) from San Bernardino on. It is also a control city, briefly, for CA 62.

I don't remember where Portland comes up as a control for I-5, probably north of Redding, but there is a mileage for it north of CA 12 and Lodi.

There's also Yuma for I-8, east of El Centro.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.