News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Is it legal to K/J-turn like this?

Started by Zeffy, July 27, 2016, 10:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

I saw this coming home today. I wasn't sure if it was legal or not. Anybody know? (By the way - I got a new dashcam during Prime Day - pretty sweet, loving it so far)

(Wasn't there a YouTube tag?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6SBGjekeFg&feature=youtu.be

I am glad the bus did it though - it got me enough room to skirt that traffic by detouring to 206.  :sombrero:
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Ace10

In which state did this happen? New Jersey? I'm not too familiar with New Jersey's laws, but someone more knowledgeable may be able to help if we know the state where this happened.

Zeffy

Quote from: Ace10 on July 28, 2016, 08:13:18 PM
In which state did this happen? New Jersey? I'm not too familiar with New Jersey's laws, but someone more knowledgeable may be able to help if we know the state where this happened.

Correct - sorry, I should've specified. I think I put Montgomery, NJ in the video description.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Mr. Matté

Even if it was legal, the bus driver sure did everything wrong:

• No signal
  • Completely blocking a major high-speed roadway (601 is straight, pretty flat, and 50 mph there)
  • Almost backing into a cyclist (but the cyclist not even attempting an Idaho Stop pissed me off)
  • When backed up enough to be out of the main road, not remaining stopped to let the traffic with the legal right-of-way through
  • Driving onto the roadbank when heading back south towards the camera

Zeffy

Speed limit may be 50 on 601, but most people like to go 60+ because it's straight and flat. One thing I noticed was no traffic was coming my way (towards the camera) which makes me think either a train passed by at the railroad crossing (Not sure if the tracks are still in use) or an accident/police activity blocking both ways of travel.

I'm not sure what his alternate plan was considering he was heading towards either East Mountain Road or 206 - had he turned right he would've gotten to where he was probably heading one way or another. What kind of bus is that anyway? Reminded me of a prison bus...

jeffandnicole

It was illegal based on 39:4-127 (Backing or turning in street)  No vehicle shall back or make a turn in a street, if by so doing it interferes with other vehicles, but shall go around a block or to a street sufficiently wide to turn in without backing.

If the bus pulled over, let the vehicles pass, then completed the K Turn, then he was fine.  (And yeah, he should've signaled if he didn't, but since you're supposed to K Turn without vehicles around, it's one of those requirements that shouldn't be needed)

The driver did a good job though making that turn quickly.

It's definitely not a prison bus, as they are usually marked with NJDOC and generally has fewer windows. Almost looked like some sort of bus a camp operator would buy used and paint white.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.