News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

More Kmart stores closing

Started by LM117, September 19, 2016, 06:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Sears and Kmart never updated there stores like Meijer, Walmart, Kroger and Target have done. Sears is ugly. Here's the Saginaw Fashion Square Mall Sears location.

Flint1979

Another one on the side I have mentioned has very little to no cars usually but I think now that Sears is going out of business there is more traffic in there. I went inside the store and there was a good amount of people in Sears. That'll die as it gets closer to the final days.

Max Rockatansky

The Sears at Manchester Mall in Fresno seems to be hanging in there.  They presently even have a store remodel project going on which I found to be odd this close to bankruptcy.  The Sierra Vista Mall Sears is a way nicer store (not anywhere close to modern still) but had a pretty selection of merchandise.  I actually made my first purchase at Sears in years when I had to replace my old Kennmore dryer.  We got some weird rewards thing where you get $15 dollars in points that have to be used during the week they are given.  My wife has been using them to buy cheaper Christmas gifts and usually go by every week so for some hand tools. 

RobbieL2415

The Palmer store is in the next round of closures.  My manager at the Vernon store (closed since March) is good friends with the manager at Palmer.

-- US 175 --

Quote from: SectorZ on August 08, 2019, 03:48:12 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 08, 2019, 01:27:10 AM
Well, that leaves 12 Kmart locations in all of New England.  RI and VT have long since been donezo.

CT: Watertown (the dinosaur that refuses to die)
MA: Acton, Billerica, Brockton, Holyoke, Hyannis, Webster
ME: Auburn, Augusta
NH: Hooksett, Salem, West Lebanon

I'm only a few miles from the Billerica one. How it has survived for even the past 20 years astounds me. A much nicer one on the Tewksbury/Lowell line closed years ago and that thing opened in 1993. The Billerica one has survived the Billerica Mall dying around it.

Also, the Acton one has this rather strange "shrunken head" sign for its location, and its not due to a local sign ordinance so no one knows why it's so tiny, https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4738435,-71.4556293,3a,75y,318.62h,96.5t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sn3_Z2RRz9ibHhDFB0CJpLg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Dn3_Z2RRz9ibHhDFB0CJpLg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D47.863426%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

I saw that, then checked for a sign at the street--wow, they didn't break their neck for that one, either.  But, you are right about sign laws.  Usually when I see weird-sized signs or none up on poles it pretty much means some kind of local sign restriction.

-- US 175 --

Quote from: SP Cook on August 07, 2019, 10:42:43 AM
Sears first post-bankruptcy closure list - late October :
[...]
Hurst, TX
[...]

That closing (North East Mall) will only leave 3 Sears in DFW: Arlington (Parks at Arlington), Fort Worth (Hulen Mall), and Mesquite (Town East Mall), with none in Dallas at all.  As far as Kmart, they've been gone from north TX for several years now, with most of the remaining recent stores in the state now closed or about to be.

Great Lakes Roads

The last 2 Sears stores in the NW Indiana region (Southlake Mall in Merrillville and University Park Mall in Mishawaka) will be closing in October. So, where will the nearest Sears store be for us?

Brandon

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on August 19, 2019, 10:08:43 PM
The last 2 Sears stores in the NW Indiana region (Southlake Mall in Merrillville and University Park Mall in Mishawaka) will be closing in October. So, where will the nearest Sears store be for us?

Chicago Ridge Mall.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ftballfan

Quote from: Brandon on August 20, 2019, 06:58:37 AM

Chicago Ridge Mall.
For some (especially in the South Bend area), RiverTown Crossings might be closer unless Fort Wayne still has a Sears

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: ftballfan on August 20, 2019, 06:32:14 PM
Quote from: Brandon on August 20, 2019, 06:58:37 AM

Chicago Ridge Mall.
For some (especially in the South Bend area), RiverTown Crossings might be closer unless Fort Wayne still has a Sears

The Fort Wayne Sears was shut down back in November 2018, and it is now being demolished as we speak.

dvferyance

What I never understood is why back a couple years ago when Sears was really going down hill why didn't they just give up on one brand and just try to save the other? You have 2 failing brands the odds of saving the both are slim to none. I always thought that merging Sears and KMart as one company was a bad idea from the start.

DaBigE

Quote from: dvferyance on August 29, 2019, 03:27:02 PM
What I never understood is why back a couple years ago when Sears was really going down hill why didn't they just give up on one brand and just try to save the other? You have 2 failing brands the odds of saving the both are slim to none. I always thought that merging Sears and KMart as one company was a bad idea from the start.

Likely because the powers that be ultimately don't care about either brand. They likely figure they can milk more personal financial gains out of keeping both around. It also looks better from a PR standpoint. Frog in the pot theory: Kill off one entirely all at once => public outcry over all the lost jobs; allow both to slowly wither, and people glaze over with each store closing.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

thenetwork

And we have the next round of closures...Looks like at least Northern Ohio will be Kmart-less in 2020 with Brunswick and Barberton going bye-bye:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/08/31/kmart-sears-store-closings-more-locations-shutter-end-2019/2168435001/

jp the roadgeek

RIP KMart.  The one that refused to die in Watertown, CT (the last one in the state) has given up the ghost.  And with Webster, MA closing, that leaves Holyoke, MA as the only one within a 100 mile radius. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

RobbieL2415

My unofficial count of all the Kmart stores there ever will be in CT:
Vernon, Manchester, Windsor, Putnam, Cromwell, Torrington, Watertown, Southbury, Milford, Orange, Southington.

Flint1979

Wow Michigan is pretty mushed going to be wiped out. I had a count of 13 stores about a year and a half ago and this list has 9 Michigan locations closing including two within 30 miles of me. I'm not even sure where the nearest locations going to be.

GCrites

Quote from: thenetwork on August 31, 2019, 12:57:47 PM
And we have the next round of closures...Looks like at least Northern Ohio will be Kmart-less in 2020 with Brunswick and Barberton going bye-bye:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/08/31/kmart-sears-store-closings-more-locations-shutter-end-2019/2168435001/

Grove City goes down in this round which means Central Ohio will be K-Mart-free as well.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on August 31, 2019, 06:36:51 PM
My unofficial count of all the Kmart stores there ever will be in CT:
Vernon, Manchester, Windsor, Putnam, Cromwell, Torrington, Watertown, Southbury, Milford, Orange, Southington.

A few more. 
Plainville (lasted only a couple of years when Connecticut Commons was first built.)
Bristol (only lasted a couple of years when it took over for Caldor.  Like the Southington one, now a Price Chopper)
Wallingford (the old one is now a movie theater, the Super K that replaced it is now a Walmart Supercenter)
New Haven (a Super K on Route 80, now a Walmart Supercenter)
Derby (now Lowe's)
East Haven (became National Wholesale Liquidators and a Flea Market, now a CarMax)
Waterbury (now an Ollie's Bargain Outlet)
Pretty sure there was one in Enfield as well.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

catch22

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 31, 2019, 06:41:54 PM
Wow Michigan is pretty mushed going to be wiped out. I had a count of 13 stores about a year and a half ago and this list has 9 Michigan locations closing including two within 30 miles of me. I'm not even sure where the nearest locations going to be.

Comparing the latest closure list with the store directory on Kmart's web site leaves only Marshall,  Warren and Waterford as survivors (unless these are already on some other list that I missed).

Flint1979

Quote from: catch22 on August 31, 2019, 10:03:26 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on August 31, 2019, 06:41:54 PM

Comparing the latest closure list with the store directory on Kmart's web site leaves only Marshall,  Warren and Waterford as survivors (unless these are already on some other list that I missed).
Out of those three Waterford is closest, about 70 miles away. That Kmart looks like it was was maintained in the 50's. I can't believe we're going to be down to three Kmart's in Michigan. Kmart's original home state btw.

thenetwork

Colorado will be down to 2 Sears and 1 lowly Kmart come 2020.

thenetwork

Quote from: GCrites80s on August 31, 2019, 08:56:08 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on August 31, 2019, 12:57:47 PM

Grove City goes down in this round which means Central Ohio will be K-Mart-free as well.

Only N.Canton and Marietta left for Ohio Kmarts.

noelbotevera

There goes the Chambersburg K-Mart for me.

Not like it was any good anyways.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Great Lakes Roads

And there goes all the Indiana Kmart stores. None around my area. Even worse, there are no Sears around the NW Indiana region!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

EDIT: Illinois will be down to ONE Kmart store, which is in Des Plains. Wisconsin will also be down to ONE Kmart store, which is in Kenosha.

thspfc

The sudden rise of Costco was the final blow to K mart in Wisconsin.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.