2 Seperate Side Street Drivers Struck When New Side of Divided Hwy Opens

Started by Brian556, September 20, 2016, 01:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

This is a good case study for traffic control standards.

US 380, Denton, Texas:

Apparently, when the new set of westbound lanes opened, two separate drivers didn't realize that they needed to stop at a different spot than before, and were struck by cross traffic.

In one instance, residents in the comments section there was a stop sign posted that wasn't needed during construction, and that they just stopped at the temporary one farther up. When traffic was switched, the temporary one was removed, and flags were placed on the permanent one.

My first inclination was that since one of the drivers was 75 years old, maybe their age and driving ability was a significant factor. However, since two similar accidents happened at close to the same time at separate locations, that is a good clue that changes in procedure are needed.

My opinion: Only one stop sign, right where you are supposed to stop should be displayed at any given time. STOP HERE signs should be used when a change in stop location occurs.

How often does this occur elsewhere?

What do you guys think?

http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20160919-2-flags-only-warning-before-fatality.ece

jeffandnicole

Traffic pattern changes are always difficult, because no matter how many signs are posted, or tweets are sent, or media announcements are made, not everyone will see or understand them. 

In this case, it seems an added issue is that a stop sign that wasn't necessary remained there during the construction project. 

SectorZ

The thing is, construction traffic was always possible on the closed side, hence why that stop sign stayed up. The residents should have accounted for that. A bunch of commenters in the news story state the stop sign was 'inconsequential', but I doubt that if they got broadsided by a 10-ton dump truck moving even at slow speed in that construction zone.

nexus73

In Oregon I see "Traffic Revision Ahead" for these kinds of situations.  Old habits are hard to break but old bodies (and young) are easy to smash.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Brian556

It is standard procedure for construction traffic on the closed side of a divided highway to yield to all other traffic on open roadways.

hm insulators

Quote from: nexus73 on September 20, 2016, 07:39:10 PM
In Oregon I see "Traffic Revision Ahead" for these kinds of situations.  Old habits are hard to break but old bodies (and young) are easy to smash.

Rick

In Arizona, we have "Traffic Control Change" signs, which stay up for several months.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Brian556

I see "STOP HERE" signs sometimes, but not always. The MUTCD probably should be changed to require consistency on this.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.