News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Lane question

Started by CapeCodder, November 10, 2016, 07:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeCodder

How far out from any city does its primary interstate gain lanes? Sorry if its worded weird, for example: I-70 in the St. Louis area gains two extra lanes in Wentzville on its way into STL. 44 gains lanes in Pacific, or have they moved that further west? IIRC 55 gained extra lanes near Barnhart.

jeffandnicole

If you want to stretch it slightly, the NJ Turnpike (much of which is I-95) gains a lane about 88 miles from the NYC border, and has the major dual-dual lane gain (if you want to call it that) about 74 miles from NYC.

Jmiles32

I-10 goes from 4 to 8 lanes near Indio CA which is around 120 miles east of Los Angeles.

Locally,
I-66 goes from 4 to 8 lanes in Haymarket VA -35 miles west of DC.
I-270 goes from 4 to 6 near Clarksburg MD -17 miles northwest of the Beltway.
Finally the express lanes start on I-95 currently in Garrisonville VA - 36 miles south of D.C but an extension is in the works that will extend them south another 10 miles near Fredricksburg.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

CtrlAltDel

If you want to get a bit technical, I-75 is at least six-laned southbound for 180 miles from Chattanooga TN. This is, of course, due to Atlanta.
I-290   I-294   I-55   (I-74)   (I-72)   I-40   I-30   US-59   US-190   TX-30   TX-6

RobbieL2415

jakeroot

I-5 gains a fourth lane near Olympia, WA, about 60 miles south of Seattle. It loses this fourth lane in Everett, about 30 miles north.

If you consider two lanes to be the starting point, I-5 gains a third lane in Chehalis, 93 miles south of Seattle. It loses this third lane near Mount Vernon, 58 miles north of Seattle.

I-5 does drop to two lanes through downtown Seattle, but I'm going to ignore this fact because I don't think its strictly relevant.

SectorZ

I-93 goes from 6 to 8 lanes in Wilmington MA, 19 miles north of Boston.

I-90 goes from 4 to 6 lanes in Sturbridge MA, 57 miles west of Boston.

MA 3 (which joins with I-93 and US 1 closer to Boston) goes from 4 to 6 lanes in Weymouth, 16 miles south of Boston. It then jumps to 8 where it joins with 93 in Quincy.

epzik8

I-95 goes from three to four lanes in each direction at the Maryland Route 24 interchange between Abingdon and Edgewood, about 22 miles northeast of downtown Baltimore. That's not too impressive, but I really wanted to mention that since that's my home stretch of Interstate.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

cpzilliacus

Quote from: epzik8 on November 11, 2016, 08:57:36 AM
I-95 goes from three to four lanes in each direction at the Maryland Route 24 interchange between Abingdon and Edgewood, about 22 miles northeast of downtown Baltimore. That's not too impressive, but I really wanted to mention that since that's my home stretch of Interstate.

Except for short sections through interchanges in College Park and Baltimore City north of the Fort McHenry Tunnel, it is at least eight lanes all the way south to the Woodrow Wilson Bridge where I-95 continues into Virginia.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

JMAN_WiS&S

I-94 gains a 3rd lane 29 miles from the Twin Cities area, at exit 3 in hudson.
Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 11, 2016, 02:11:08 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on November 11, 2016, 08:57:36 AM

Except for short sections through interchanges in College Park and Baltimore City north of the Fort McHenry Tunnel, it is at least eight lanes all the way south to the Woodrow Wilson Bridge where I-95 continues into Virginia.

And at least 6 lanes up to Wilmington, DE!

sparker

In OR, NB I-5 gains its 3rd lane at the Kuebler Blvd. exit (#252) just southeast of Salem, and maintains its overall 6-lane alignment (give or take slip lanes and the truck lanes at the 99W merge near Tigard) north to the south I-405 split at the west end of the Marquam Bridge in downtown Portland, a distance of 48 miles.  There is construction south of Kuebler Blvd. to widen I-5 further south.

GaryV

I-75 goes to multiple lanes 100 miles north and south of Detroit.  Of course, there's other cities between those points, like Bay City, Saginaw, Flint and Toledo.

jwolfer

Quote from: GaryV on November 11, 2016, 08:57:36 PM
I-75 goes to multiple lanes 100 miles north and south of Detroit.  Of course, there's other cities between those points, like Bay City, Saginaw, Flint and Toledo.
I-75 is 6 plus lanes from Chattanooga south to the FL Turnpike( except thru Macon but 475 is the main thru route and that is 6 lanes... And is being widened to Tampa.. Over 500 miles

95 is 6 + lanes from I-4 to South Carolina. The 6+ lanes will soon be complete in all of FL.. Again over 500 miles

All of I-4 is 6+ lanes now.. Its only 132 miles but the entire route is 6+ lanes

LGMS428

DTComposer

I-80 in California gains/loses its third lane in Applegate, about 128 miles east of San Francisco.

On the other extreme, I-5 gains/loses its third lane at Elk Grove Boulevard, about 13 miles south of downtown Sacramento, and loses/gains it at CA-99, about 7 miles north of downtown.

signalman

I-80 is at least 6 lanes approximately 70 miles west of NYC (I know, I-80 doesn't technically go to New York).

jdb1234

Quote from: jwolfer on November 12, 2016, 01:26:15 AM
Quote from: GaryV on November 11, 2016, 08:57:36 PM
I-75 is 6 plus lanes from Chattanooga south to the FL Turnpike( except thru Macon but 475 is the main thru route and that is 6 lanes... And is being widened to Tampa.. Over 500 miles
LGMS428

When the 6-laning is completed, I-75 will be 6-laned all the way to Exit 101 in Naples, with the exception of through Punta Gorda.

ChiMilNet

I-90 widens to six lanes at the IL/WI border north of Rockford, and generally remains at least this width all the way through Illinois (with just the exception of a couple interchanges). I think that's a length of a little under 100 miles. It will be eight lanes from Elgin to O'Hare (40 miles from the Chicago Loop, and 20-25 miles from O'Hare) by the end of the year, although it, of course, will drop back to six East of I-294 until its junction with I-94 (and that stretch will now become even more of a nightmare).

I-94 widens from six to eight lanes North of Kenosha towards Chicago (about 65 miles from Chicago, yet only 35-40 miles from Milwaukee). The combination of I-94/I-294 (Tri-State Tollway once you enter Illinois) from this point to Gary, IN remains at generally eight lanes for about 100-110 miles through the Chicagoland Area. With that, the central section of I-294 desperately needs at least one or two more lanes each way (particularly right by the mess near O'Hare (here's hoping that the tollway ultimately plans an additional lane upon reconstruction of that segment in a few years).

wanderer2575

Do you count when the highway temporarily loses said lanes through interchanges?  For example, I-96 picks up extra lanes from west of Howell all the way into Detroit, but drops back to two lanes each direction through the interchanges at US-23, I-275/I-696/M-5, and I-275/M-14.

cl94

- I-70 goes from 4 to 6 in Springfield, OH, 37 miles west of I-270. It'll eventually be a continuous 6 lanes from west of Dayton to east of Columbus
- I-87 goes from 4 to 6 in Lake George at Exit 22, 55 miles north of I-90 in Albany. This 55-mile stretch is the longest continuous 6-lane freeway in New York other than the LIE.
- I-71 in Ohio is a continuous 6 lanes from I-670 in Columbus to I-480 in Cleveland, about 120 miles. Exclude the stretches through interchanges and it's 6 lanes from south of Columbus to I-90
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 11, 2016, 03:18:11 PM

The  four lane section of I-95 through Wilmington is not that much of an issue, given that a better parallel route exists in  I-495.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jwolfer

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 12, 2016, 08:01:13 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 11, 2016, 03:18:11 PM

The  four lane section of I-95 through Wilmington is not that much of an issue, given that a better parallel route exists in  I-495.
Sort of like 4 lane section of I-75 through Macon, GA. 475 maintains 6 lanes

LGMS428

mvak36

I believe I-29 picks up the 3rd lane after the 435 interchange just South of Platte City and that 3rd lane will go till about Exit 1B (just before the merge with I-35). After the merge with I-35, it's three lanes all the way to its terminus in Downtown KC.

I-435 is at least 3 lanes in all of KS (The stretch from K-10 all the way to the MO state line will be four lanes once the JoCo Gateway project is completed). On the MO side, I'm pretty sure it's 4 lanes from the KS state line all the way to the Grandview Triangle and 3 lanes from the Triangle up to Exit 47 (except for the small stretch at the MO-210 and I-35 interchanges). It's then 2 lanes from there till the multiplex with I-29 (It's 3 lanes along this stretch). After the mutiplex, it's two lanes till Exit 22 (MO-45), where it'll become three lanes again till the KS state line.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

coatimundi

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Houston area yet.

I-10: 3+ lanes to Exit 862 in Vidor, which is 94 miles east of Houston; and 3+ lanes from Exit 732, which is 36 miles west of Houston.
I-45: 3+ lanes from its southern terminus to Willis, both sections roughly 50 miles from Downtown Houston.
US 59 North may have the record for non-interstate freeway (though I guess it's mostly considered I-69 by now): roughly 36 miles to Splendora.

Also, in Florida, I-95 is 6 lanes for almost all of its 382 miles through the state, with the last bit near Daytona, I believe, already started.

jwolfer

Quote from: coatimundi on November 13, 2016, 08:28:55 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Houston area yet.

I-10: 3+ lanes to Exit 862 in Vidor, which is 94 miles east of Houston; and 3+ lanes from Exit 732, which is 36 miles west of Houston.
I-45: 3+ lanes from its southern terminus to Willis, both sections roughly 50 miles from Downtown Houston.
US 59 North may have the record for non-interstate freeway (though I guess it's mostly considered I-69 by now): roughly 36 miles to Splendora.

Also, in Florida, I-95 is 6 lanes for almost all of its 382 miles through the state, with the last bit near Daytona, I believe, already started.
And then add 112 miles in Georgia.. 494 miles of 6 lanes+

LGMS428

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.