News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Gainesville, Texas SE Loop Proposal

Started by Brian556, November 18, 2016, 08:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

The weird thing is that TxDOT is presenting this as a reliever route for US 82, when in reality it is just a partial loop around Gainesville, and not a traditional bypass.

http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/wichita-falls/us82-gainesville.html

In_Correct

I was going to create a topic about this. I still might. Will posting in this thread hijack it?

I have always wanted see a loop built around Gainesville, Texas but I also would like the loop to also loop around Sherman, Texas and merge with Spur 503, and basically calling it Loop 503. It is also inspired by DFW's Loop 9 proposal.

Highway 82 is 4 laned and goes through Gainesville with a grade separation over the railroad and river and a 5 lane avenue. (Grand Avenue.) It has an extra lane near this bridge but that is probably because of TWO two-way on-ramps on the southeast side of the bridge. There was (perhaps on the TXDOT website) that said they wanted to improve this problem by disconnecting the long ramp from Highway 82 and instead connecting the long ramp to the Hillcrest Boulevard next to Highway 82. And at the same time disconnect the short ramp from the long ramp and instead connecting the short ramp directly to Highway 82 like it is supposed to be. It would literally be Easy Peazey Lemon Squeazey to Correct this issue, but they still have not done that. Lawrence Street is a traffic light and I am not sure if there is enough room to grade separate it. The part between the rail bridge and I-35 is very snug.

And I have watch a presentation video where they want to make all of Highway 82 through Gainesville 6 laned.

None of these projects seem to have any funding. It is a serious problem because they do not build the roads fast enough and before you know it, the roads have tons of traffic and many times they also have businesses building buildings very close to the highway, making expansion of the roads a headache.

As for a realignment of 82, It does look like they are building a corner of a loop that I hope will be completed in future, but I have also seen maps of many different possible alignments.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Brian556

They could remove the Lawrence signal/median crossover, and redirect all that traffic to the Grand Av Underpass. It would need to be improved to accommodate the additional traffic load.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.