News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Indiana State Road 22 in Kokomo removed?

Started by Interstate 69 Fan, November 29, 2016, 08:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstate 69 Fan

I heard that SR 22 through Kokomo was now City maintained, however, SR 22 is still signed. This went into effect in 2014. Is SR 22 removed?
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

NWI_Irish96

IN 22 was eliminated between the new US 31/35 and Galveston Rd.  They may just be slow in taking down signs. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

dvferyance

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 30, 2016, 07:04:17 AM
IN 22 was eliminated between the new US 31/35 and Galveston Rd.  They may just be slow in taking down signs.
I hope they never take them down. Enough of these split routes.

silverback1065

billtm

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 30, 2016, 05:40:42 PM
931 will go away eventually too
At least removing 931 makes a little bit of sense, as there is a far superior alternative route. But removing SR22 makes no sense at all as those trying to get from one side of the city to another or trying to follow SR22 could easily get lost because there are two important turns to make. :pan:

silverback1065

Ya currently, 22 just dies on the west side of town, then reappears at the 31 interchange.

billtm

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 03, 2016, 10:00:42 AM
Ya currently, 22 just dies on the west side of town, then reappears at the 31 interchange.
Do you know if Indiana is currently the only state to have this problem of routes having gaps the size of cities? :hmmm: I would think that more people would write to their state reps about this, as it makes no logical sense. Also, the fix seems simple enough to me: just create business routes, and pass a law that says business routes don't have to be maintained by the state.

silverback1065

Quote from: billtm on December 03, 2016, 11:54:17 AM
Do you know if Indiana is currently the only state to have this problem of routes having gaps the size of cities? :hmmm: I would think that more people would write to their state reps about this, as it makes no logical sense. Also, the fix seems simple enough to me: just create business routes, and pass a law that says business routes don't have to be maintained by the state.
Only one I can think of off the top of my head is California. A lot of their routes make no sense.

billtm

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 03, 2016, 11:55:33 AM
Only one I can think of off the top of my head is California. A lot of their routes make no sense.
But most of California's gaps are due to uncompleted construction projects, no? Or maybe I just can't think of the right examples off of the top of my head?

silverback1065

Quote from: billtm on December 03, 2016, 12:08:27 PM
But most of California's gaps are due to uncompleted construction projects, no? Or maybe I just can't think of the right examples off of the top of my head?
The only gap I know of that is similar to 22 is ca-160 through downtown Sacramento. Ca-2 has some weird gaps in it as does ca-1

billtm

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 03, 2016, 12:10:18 PM
The only gap I know of that is similar to 22 is ca-160 through downtown Sacramento. Ca-2 has some weird gaps in it as does ca-1
Wow, I never knew about the gap in CA-160!  :wow: That really is messed up. I am more forgiving of the gaps in CA-1 and CA-2 because you can assume some fairly logical concurrences. I do agree that signage would be nice though. :nod:

silverback1065

Quote from: billtm on December 03, 2016, 12:21:44 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on December 03, 2016, 12:10:18 PM
Wow, I never knew about the gap in CA-160!  :wow: That really is messed up. I am more forgiving of the gaps in CA-1 and CA-2 because you can assume some fairly logical concurrences. I do agree that signage would be nice though. :nod:
Ca requires signage to be maintained most of the time when they decommission a route

tdindy88

There is a law in the Indiana Code that already allows this under the idea that the city/town manages the route. Although the idea seems to work more in this state with roadways that have been bypassed. SR 931 would be a good candidate for Business U.S. 31, although having a nine in front of the state highway practically makes it the same thing. Turning an actual gap into a business highway hasn't been done before and I bet that few places do that even when they allow business routes.

Bitmapped

I don't understand why Indiana doesn't do what Ohio does. State and US routes inside municipalities are owned and (depending on the size of the municipality) maintained by the municipalities, but route signage is continued over them so there's no gap.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: Bitmapped on December 03, 2016, 09:49:03 PM
I don't understand why Indiana doesn't do what Ohio does. State and US routes inside municipalities are owned and (depending on the size of the municipality) maintained by the municipalities, but route signage is continued over them so there's no gap.
SR 22 is still signed...
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

silverback1065

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on December 05, 2016, 10:20:59 AM
SR 22 is still signed...

not inside kokomo

dvferyance

Virginia does it too.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: dvferyance on November 30, 2016, 01:36:23 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on November 30, 2016, 07:04:17 AM
I hope they never take them down. Enough of these split routes.

For real.  Permit loads must be impossible to accomplish in Indiana, with all the varying road jurisdictions trucks have to go through.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.