News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What do you call these?

Started by BigMattFromTexas, November 08, 2009, 11:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

What do you call the electronic boxes under BGS's that either have a green arrow, a yellow arrow, or a red X? I know that they tell you what lane NOT to get into, but what are they called?
BigMatt

Marc

I'm not exactly sure what they are called, but I know San Antonio uses the yellow arrow to indicate that there is slow traffic in that lane ahead. I have never seen them use the red X for anything yet. On a side note, San Antonio is really the only major Texas city that I've seen that uses them pretty excessively. I have also wondered what the technical name for these is.

BigMattFromTexas

Quote from: Marc on November 09, 2009, 12:01:39 AM
I'm not exactly sure what they are called, but I know San Antonio uses the yellow arrow to indicate that there is slow traffic in that lane ahead. I have never seen them use the red X for anything yet. On a side note, San Antonio is really the only major Texas city that I've seen that uses them pretty excessively. I have also wondered what the technical name for these is.
I've seen a red X once in San Antonio, that was for a car that fell off the upper side road down to the freeway and i think hit another car, the people in the car that fell all were from Houston and I think all but one died. :-(
BigMatt

Chris

matrix signs

froggie

2Co5_14

From MUTCD: Lane-Use Control Signals

Revive 755

I've called them lane closure signals; can't remember if I picked it up from MoDOT or not.

Riverside Frwy

You Europeans are funny. :-D Here in the US, noone would actually listen to the lane closure signals.... :-P

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Chris on November 09, 2009, 05:51:26 AM
matrix signs

As in "Dot Matrix" I would assume... (Reminds me of the Nintendo Game Boy I got in 4th grade oh so many years ago)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Riverside Frwy on November 09, 2009, 08:42:47 PM
You Europeans are funny. :-D Here in the US, noone would actually listen to the lane closure signals.... :-P
Damn right we wouldn't!  :sombrero: We use them on our area bridges and tunnels (though they're just a typical 3-light signal above each lane--no arrows), and unless there's a physical barrier, people keep using the lane.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Chris

Quote from: Riverside Frwy on November 09, 2009, 08:42:47 PM

That's exactly our problem, we accept every damn thing the government says, even if it is ridiculous... This left lane could only be constructed if it was to be closed outside rush hours. It's marginally more narrow than a regular lane. Hence, you sometimes see these lanes with a big red X even when traffic is nearing congestion, and nearly nobody drives on it.

Duke87

Quote from: Chris on November 10, 2009, 12:34:49 PM
This left lane could only be constructed if it was to be closed outside rush hours.

The logic being...? :confused:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: Duke87 on November 10, 2009, 05:21:40 PM
Quote from: Chris on November 10, 2009, 12:34:49 PM
This left lane could only be constructed if it was to be closed outside rush hours.

...to move more traffic during rush hour.

Chris

Quote from: Duke87 on November 10, 2009, 05:21:40 PM

Well, it just shows how f*cked-up our system is. A regular widening takes between 10 and 15 years of planning and procedures, often being completed 25 years after initially needed. It has become one big maze of regulation, procedures, anti-asphalt clubs, nimby's, you name it. These kind of constructions have been set up to avoid some of the procedures/public participation etc. Shoulder running have been implemented in dozens of places too. Often being intended to relieve 3 - 4 hours a day, now even opened on saturdays and around noon due to traffic volumes.

US71

I remember in High School, the church choir took a trip to St Louis. We encountered Lane Use Signals and the bus driver was talking about how lucky he was to be hitting so many green lights  :-D
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.