News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

There's a road over Croton Dam in NY, but it's not passable to traffic:
https://goo.gl/maps/axsAS8SzAQk

Here's a screen shot, but it's not my photo:

US71

QuoteFebruary 24 Challenge: => Post photos of a road that goes over a dam:

Bull Shoals Dam,  Hwy 178 Lakeview, AR
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

paulthemapguy

In October 2015 I came across this along CT-34 northwest of New Haven, CT.  I tried getting photos as we were moving but none of them turned out to be any good.  So check this out-

https://goo.gl/maps/Ed7iKZWPNpq
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

Mapmikey

Here is VA 4 crossing Kerr Dam in 2006

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 24, 2017, 12:27:50 PM

In October 2015 I came across this along CT-34 northwest of New Haven, CT.  I tried getting photos as we were moving but none of them turned out to be any good.  So check this out-

https://goo.gl/maps/Ed7iKZWPNpq

Ah, yes! That's the Stevenson Dam. It dams the Housatonic River in Monroe to form Lakes Lillanonah and Zoar.  :hmm:  :nod:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

7/8

Looks like I get to choose today's challenge! :)

February 25th, 2017:
Post photos of signs acknowledging a "former" route.

This sign was taken on the 400 NB between Barrie and Parry Sound, ON

And this sign was taken on what's now Halton Regional Road 25 (formerly Hwy 25)

TravelingBethelite

QuoteFebruary 25th, 2017:

I suppose it's a stretch, but the byway does represent the former routing of U.S. 66.

"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Michael

Onondaga CR 57 used to be NY 57.  Sometime between 2003 and 2006 (closer to 2003 if I remember right), this sign with an error NY 57 shield was installed.

In Oswego, these US 104 signs probably dated from when NY 104 was still US 104, but I've read on here that they've been replaced.  Also note the error US 48 shield in the background, which should be NY 48.  Here's a newer US 104 shield, also in Oswego, that I first remember seeing in 2004 or so.

Here's a picture I took in 2007 for Wikipedia of an old reference marker left for NY 31B:

There are two old reference markers for NY 174 in Marcellus. One is just south of the village, and the other is just north of where the old and new routes of NY 174 meet.

Lastly, it's not uncommon in CNY to see Old State Road or Old Route X signs where realignments have occurred.

US71

QuoteFebruary 25th, 2017:

Former US 24 in Kansas

Delta, LA

7/8

I guess I can make today's challenge too (I'm staying up later than usual this weekend).

February 26th, 2017
Post photos of signs where the exit has more lanes than the through road.

My example will be the exit for the 427 on the 401 collectors in Toronto. The 427 gets three lanes while the 401 only gets two.

paulthemapguy

February 26th, 2017

I-290 southbound approaching I-355

Source: http://www.billburmaster.com/rmsandw/illinois/interstate/290il.html
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

empirestate

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on February 24, 2017, 08:27:13 AM

My contribution is also from the Conowingo Dam:

Just as a reminder, only one photo per answer is allowed–there was already a photo submitted of the Conowingo Dam road. Not a big deal; it's just so that if, say, the Challenge were to post photos of Interstate numbering violations, we wouldn't just get a million photos of I-99.

Quote from: 7/8 on February 26, 2017, 12:37:57 AM
I guess I can make today's challenge too (I'm staying up later than usual this weekend).

I'm glad when you guys get to it before I do; there have been lots of good Challenges posted. Keep 'em up!

wanderer2575

February 26th, 2017

Downtown Detroit, MI:

dgolub

New York Thruway (I-87) southbound at exit 8 for the Cross Westchester Expressway (I-287):

jbnv

February 26th, 2017

I-10 westbound at I-110, Baton Rouge:

If someone needs a picture to post, see I-10 eastbound at the split for I-12. (I don't have my own picture for it.)
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

US71

February 26th, 2017
US 71 at LA 1 north of Shreveport, LA

empirestate

February 27, 2017
:colorful: It's that time again–today's Challenge™ is the monthly catch-up free-for-all for all February Challenges™! :colorful:

All Challenges posted since the previous recap began (on January 29th) are eligible from now through the end of February, and a new Challenge will also be posted for February 28th. Please continue to observe the usual posting limits.

EDIT: Here's the list of eligible Challenges...

January 30: Post signs that suggest an unintentionally funny phrase or combination of words.
January 31: Post photos that juxtapose roads and/or road traffic with a guided transit system.
February 1: Post photos of route shields containing hyphens, or any other punctuation or diacritical marks.
February 2: Post photos of route shields containing hyphens, or any other punctuation or diacritical marks. :-D
February 3: Photos of signs depicting, by incident or deliberately, the name of a movie or TV show.
February 4: Photos that show two routes of the same number, but different types.
February 5: Post road photos where the image contains a state border.
February 6: Post road scenes taken using long-lens techniques.
February 7: Post a single BGS that uses each of the 5 vowels exactly one time, or any sign that contains all five vowels.
February 8: Post photos of signs whose typical color scheme has been altered for intentional effect.
February 9: Post photos of weather- or emergency-related road or freeway closure gates in active deployment.
February 10: Post street blades located along a road but not at an intersection.
February 11: Post pictures of the oldest sign (NOT oldest photo of a sign) in your photo collection.
February 12: Photos of signs/displays that should be BGSes.
February 13: The word "Love" (or some variant of) on a BGS.
February 14: Route displays/BGSes with unusual auxiliary elements.
February 15: Post One-Way signage (or related, such as Do Not Enter) that's only in effect some of the time.
February 16: Post photos of outrageously complex airport roadway infrastructure.
February 17: Post one state's depiction of another's route marker.
February 18: Post photos of tunnels.
February 19: Post pictures of route marker/sign close-ups.
February 20: Road signs in the United States in a language other than English or Spanish.
February 21: Post photos of letter-suffixed routes at a junction with their un-suffixed parent.
February 22: Post photos that don't logically make sense when taken at face value.
February 23: Post a complete set of something.
February 24: Post photos of a road that goes over a dam.
February 25: Post photos of signs acknowledging a "former" route.
February 26: Post photos of signs where the exit has more lanes than the through road.

US71

February 4: Photos that show two routes of the same number, but different types.

How about Loop 151 (Texas) and AR 151?

US71

Quote4February 11: Post pictures of the oldest sign (NOT oldest photo of a sign) in your photo collection.

Two candidates:

Merkel, TX

Personal collection

US71

February 1: Post photos of route shields containing hyphens, or any other punctuation or diacritical marks.
February 2: Post photos of route shields containing hyphens, or any other punctuation or diacritical marks. :-D

Are these intentionally the same??  :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:

formulanone

Quote from: jbnv on February 24, 2017, 09:58:17 AM
Quote from: formulanone on February 24, 2017, 09:11:43 AM
Florida is one I'm trying for (I'd estimate I'm a little over halfway there on SR/SSRs); probably not as mind-bending as Kentucky, or Texas,  Louisiana, but not as arduous as California or Montana. At least with Ohio, it's a compact enough state, even if it has 500 or so SRs.

Good thing you don't have to count A1A in Key West as a separate highway.

That segment's an easy clinch if you've already made it down to US 1's south end. I haven't caught up with some of those CR 941/942 (are they still there?) and "Old FL 4" bits and pieces in the Keys. I am missing A1A from SR 442 to SR 421, but that's it. Clinching all of Florida's SR system might take me a lifetime to complete, since I don't live there anymore; although, I'm on business there about 4-5 times a year. Couple that with yearly additions onto the system and decommissioned/former parts, and it's a bit of a moving target.

QuoteFebruary 22: Challenge: Post photos that don't logically make sense when taken at face value.

North South River Drive in the Miami area (yes, there's a "North River Drive"). Not sure if a sign for South North River Drive exists.

QuoteFebruary 4: Photos that show two routes of the same number, but different types.

This isn't all that rare in Florida, but it is unusual to see it on a BGS.

QuoteFebruary 20: Road signs in the United States in a language other than English or Spanish.

Peoria, Illinois has a sister city in honor of her sister city: Friedrichshafen, Germany.

US71

QuoteFebruary 20: Road signs in the United States in a language other than English or Spanish.

Tahlequah, OK

Russellville, AR

Lafayette, LA

empirestate

Quote from: US71 on February 27, 2017, 10:48:00 AM

Are these intentionally the same??  :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:

Ask Bill Murray... ;-)

PHLBOS

February 26th, 2017

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.