News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulthemapguy

QuoteJune 12, 2017: Numbered routes that do not end at another numbered route – they could be ending at a city/county/state line, park entrance, etc. Bonus points for END signage.

The western end of IL-155 at Fort du Chartres

IL-155-WT by Paul Drives, on Flickr

The southern end of IL-178 at Lowell, IL, near Mathiessen State Park where I was yesterday lol

IL-178-ST by Paul Drives, on Flickr

The southern end of M-125 at the Ohio State Line

MI-125-ST by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

jbnv

QuoteJune 12, 2017: Numbered routes that do not end at another numbered route – they could be ending at a city/county/state line, park entrance, etc. Bonus points for END signage.

LA 1's southern end is at an unceremonious dead end in Grand Isle.

LA 1 Descent into Port Allen by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr

LA 45's southern end is actually marked with an END sign, which is very rare in Louisiana.

LA 45 Directional by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jbnv on June 12, 2017, 09:25:26 AM
LA 45's southern end is actually marked with an END sign, which is very rare in Louisiana.

I like how the END banner is white-on-green, not black-on-white. I'd almost think it to be a mistake, if it were not for the time when LA shields used those colors.

Eth

This is a very uncommon situation in Georgia, but a few examples do exist.

The end of GA 20 (the end that's not at the Alabama border, that is; it sort of hooks around Atlanta in a sideways J shape) was at US 19/41 until about 2007. With the completion of the Hampton bypass, the route now crosses over US 19/41 a bit south of that intersection, with no direct access between the two except for a single ramp from US 19/41 northbound to GA 20 eastbound. The bypass, and with it GA 20, ends a short distance later at Lower Woolsey Rd/Richard Petty Blvd, with that road providing the connection to US 19/41.

There is no actual end signage on GA 20. But here (from GSV; I don't have any photos of this location) is the eastbound beginning of the route from Lower Woolsey Rd (note that signage up to this point reads "TO GA 20"; this is the first assembly without the "TO"):

US71

Citadel Park near Cecil, AR

Arkansas has many stop/start again roads, but few are signed beyond "State Highway Ends/Begins"

In a rarity, AR 89 "ends" at a county line and continues as a county road
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jbnv

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 12, 2017, 09:35:51 AM
Quote from: jbnv on June 12, 2017, 09:25:26 AM

I like how the END banner is white-on-green, not black-on-white. I'd almost think it to be a mistake, if it were not for the time when LA shields used those colors.

It's a relic of the white-on-green era. I knew the END sign was there because I went down there several years ago. I'm pretty sure that when I went, the shield was white on green.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: US71 on June 12, 2017, 10:44:08 AM

Is that a giant rectangular sign in the background that just says "STATE 89" instead of an actual route marker?

empirestate

Quote from: 7/8 on June 11, 2017, 12:08:27 AM
QuoteJune 11th, 2017: Post of picture of vandalized or burnt signs.

Useful graffiti, which tells drivers that 85 North is the "second right". This is on Bridgeport Road around the Kitchener-Waterloo, ON border.

Quite possibly the most Canadian thing I've ever seen. :-)

Quote from: JJBers on June 11, 2017, 06:01:46 PM
QuoteMay 8, 2017
Challenge: Franklin D. Roosevelt
Next up: Harry Truman

Interstate Guide

Sorry, this one doesn't qualify–the president's name must appear as a standalone word. So, we'll let the subsequent entries stand, but we still need a submission for Franklin Roosevelt.

csw

I've got some good ones for this.

IL-16 ends just before the Illinois River, Greene Co., IL. Continues as IL-100. Taken June 10, 2017.

IN-264 ends at Ferdinand State Forest, Dubois Co., IN. Continues as a county road. Taken June 04, 2017.

IL-34 ends in Rosiclare, IL, and continues on town streets. Hardin Co., IL. Taken June 03, 2017.

IN-650 ends at a United States Gypsum Co. plant in Shoals, Martin Co., IN. Taken June 04, 2017.

noelbotevera

Here's a different Roosevelt sign. And yes, it is a different sign than the one used for Theodore Roosevelt. For one, it has an "EXIT ONLY" tab.  :sombrero:

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

US 89

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 12, 2017, 05:35:10 PM
Here's a different Roosevelt sign. And yes, it is a different sign than the one used for Theodore Roosevelt. For one, it has an "EXIT ONLY" tab.  :sombrero:

I notice that exit tab is for exits 39 W-E, whereas in most places I've been that would be 39 A-B. Is there a reason some places do this differently?

US71

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 12, 2017, 03:10:26 PM
Quote from: US71 on June 12, 2017, 10:44:08 AM

Is that a giant rectangular sign in the background that just says "STATE 89" instead of an actual route marker?

Yes, it's a trailblazer to where 89 begins again.

US71

Challenge:  Lyndon B. Johnson
Next up: Richard M Nixon

dgolub

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 12, 2017, 08:45:01 AM
Quote from: dgolub on June 12, 2017, 08:37:53 AM
No need to look far for this.  There's one in the town where I grew up.  Port Washington Boulevard (NY 101) turns into Middle Neck Road, an unnumbered county road, at Harbor Road, another unnumbered county road.

Oooh, that's a good one–nice and random. Is there a known reason for why it just ends right there?

That's as far as they built it.  You can see that it narrows down and loses its shoulder as it becomes a county road.  It's also at the northernmost traffic light, which might have something to do with it, although Nassau County maintains no shortage of traffic lights on other county roads.

7/8

QuoteMay 8, 2017
Challenge: Richard Nixon
Next up: Gerald Ford

Nixon Road on highway 3 near Delhi, ON.

formulanone

US 1 may look somewhat ceremonious, but it doesn't end at another numbered route:

AR 114 comes to an end at a dirt road:

noelbotevera

QuoteMay 8, 2017
Challenge: Gerald Ford
Next up: Jimmy Carter

No other place than Detroit that's fitting for Ford.

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

formulanone

QuoteMay 8, 2017
Challenge: Jimmy Carter
Next up: Ronald Reagan
^ Had "Gerald R. Ford" on the side of the airport (Grand Rapids), but that would be against the rules.

noelbotevera

QuoteMay 8, 2017
Challenge: Ronald Reagan
Next up: George H.W. Bush

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

paulthemapguy

Damn, Noel beat me to it by a few seconds.  I'm still gonna post, even though it doesn't count.

QuoteMay 8, 2017
Challenge: Ronald Reagan
Next up: George HW Bush

IL-029-018s by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

JJBers

QuoteMay 8, 2017
Challenge: George H.W. Bush
Next up: Bill Clinton

Public Domain (Aykleinman on Wikimedia Commons)

*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

noelbotevera

QuoteMay 8, 2017
Challenge: Bill Clinton
Next up: George W. Bush

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

wanderer2575

VT-279 ends at the New York state line.

Eastern terminus of VT-105 at the Connecticut River and the New Hampshire state line, just a few hundred feet from US-3.

Michigan decommissioned several state trunkline routes that led to state parks, but some still remain:

JJBers

QuoteJune 13, 2017: Signs with large control cities (100k and above) that are around 50+ miles away from the city

CC 2.0 JJBers (Me)
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

hotdogPi

Quote from: JJBers on June 13, 2017, 01:51:57 AM
QuoteJune 13, 2017: Signs with large control cities (100k and above) that are around 50+ miles away from the city

CC 2.0 JJBers (Me)

To me, the image doesn't show; it's just a gray circle that looks like a "do not enter" sign.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.