Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

MNHighwayMan

QuoteJune 17, 2017: A route showing the current hour, and a route showing the current minute. Use your time zone.

2:01 PM CDT (Junction of IA-2 and IA-1 south of Keosauqua)

Jim

QuoteJune 17, 2017: A route showing the current hour, and a route showing the current minute. Use your time zone.

3:37 PM EDT.  I-81 in New York.  July 15, 2015.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

wanderer2575

4:07pm EDT:  Rutland, VT

MNHighwayMan

Is this cheating? :) These routes do intersect in real life, though. (Cosmos, MN)

4:07 PM CDT

wanderer2575

I suppose posting twice is bad form but I can't help it.

1723 (5:23pm) EDT:  Ann Arbor, MI

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: wanderer2575 on June 17, 2017, 05:23:41 PM
I suppose posting twice is bad form but I can't help it.

Only if it's two consecutive posts. The overall rules do allow multiple post submissions to challenges (unless the specific challenge doesn't allow it).

5:05 PM CDT (Former east end of MN-5 in Stillwater)

jbnv

Quote from: US71 on June 17, 2017, 11:33:02 AM
Quote from: jbnv on June 16, 2017, 04:12:23 PM
Ugh, I didn't get notifications for this topic during the last two days so I missed both the 14th and the 15th, and I have good pictures for both of them.

Check your settings to be sure you get notifications

I'm subscribed to this topic and getting notifications for other topics. Apparently there is a bug in the forum because this happens occasionally. I got a notification for this update.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Jim

6:31 PM EDT.  Taken in Elkhorn, Nebraska.  July 21, 2015.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

wanderer2575

11:45pm EDT:  Walker, MI

US 89

Quote from: wanderer2575 on June 17, 2017, 11:45:22 PM

I feel like those 11's should use larger font and have a wider space between the numbers.

wanderer2575

Quote from: roadguy2 on June 17, 2017, 11:49:25 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on June 17, 2017, 11:45:22 PM

I feel like those 11's should use larger font and have a wider space between the numbers.

Wider spacing maybe, but I disagree with a larger font size because there is no space to also increase the size of the "4" and "5."  Mixing fonts and font sizes among a group of shields posted together not only looks sloppy but makes them harder to read.

JJBers

QuoteJune 18, 2017: Free day...post a photo of any state route sign
Sorry this challenge sucks, I have no other ideas.

CC 2.0 JJBers (Me)
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

csw

Quote from: JJBers on June 18, 2017, 12:33:49 AM
Then wait for someone else to post one....putting up a new challenge at 12:30 AM every day is kinda lame, especially when you don't have any ideas. Let some other people post challenges!

empirestate

Quote from: csw on June 18, 2017, 09:24:25 AM
Quote from: JJBers on June 18, 2017, 12:33:49 AM
Then wait for someone else to post one....putting up a new challenge at 12:30 AM every day is kinda lame, especially when you don't have any ideas. Let some other people post challenges!

Agreed. Let's hold off on the super-easy Challenges, and say June 18th is still open. Remember, too, that we still have to finish the Presidential sub-Challenge, and there are probably still a couple states left for the highest-number Challenge.

In addition, there is the open question what to do with June 4 through 8, when there were no Challenges posted due to the forum outage. My idea is that once a regular daily Challenge has been posted, the first person to post an Answer can also add a second, make-up Challenge using those dates (4, 5, 6, 7, 8) until we're caught up. Then both the regular and the make-up Challenge would be open all day. If the first person to answer declines to post a make-up Challenge, then the next person who answers can do so, but no more than two per day.

So here we go:

QuoteJune 18, 2017
Challenge: Post a photo of the closest road sign to your house.

Official signs only, and it can be any type of sign: parking regulation, street blade, warning sign, route marker, whatever. Bonus points if you can actually see the sign from your house or through your window; extra bonus points if you actually take the photo from your house or through your window! :-)

For this Challenge, NO STREET VIEW is allowed, for reasons of privacy as well as challenging-ness.

(The first person to answer may then post a make-up Challenge for June 4.)

MNHighwayMan

QuoteJune 18, 2017

Well, aside from the signs that are inside my house, as part of my collection, this one is closest.

US 89

Quote from: empirestate on June 18, 2017, 11:49:01 AM
Official signs only, and it can be any type of sign: parking regulation, street blade, warning sign, route marker, whatever. Bonus points if you can actually see the sign from your house or through your window; extra bonus points if you actually take the photo from your house or through your window! :-)

For this Challenge, NO STREET VIEW is allowed, for reasons of privacy as well as challenging-ness.

Isn't posting a street blade pretty similar to GSV in terms of privacy?

JJBers

Easy, I live on CT 14.

CC 2.0 by JJBers (Me)
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

7/8

QuoteJune 18, 2017

Eth

QuoteJune 18, 2017

empirestate

Quote from: roadguy2 on June 18, 2017, 11:57:39 AM

I suppose it could be. You could always sit this one out, or post some other sign without telling. We'll never know. ;-)

Anybody gonna put in a make-up Challenge? Or is that plan not going to take off?
iPhone

wanderer2575

Quote from: empirestate on June 18, 2017, 02:45:33 PM
Anybody gonna put in a make-up Challenge? Or is that plan not going to take off?

My vote is that the days are lost and we all just move on with our lives.  We've already got a standing concurrent challenge (presidents) and a weeklong catchup period every month.  This is supposed to be a single DAILY challenge; the more we start adding other scenarios, the more it turns into a free-for-all.  Forum outage days, no challenge posted, you're away from your computer/device all day -- they all mean no posts for the day.  So be it; it's not the end of the world.

empirestate

Quote from: wanderer2575 on June 18, 2017, 03:33:31 PM

My vote is that the days are lost and we all just move on with our lives.  We've already got a standing concurrent challenge (presidents) and a weeklong catchup period every month.  This is supposed to be a single DAILY challenge; the more we start adding other scenarios, the more it turns into a free-for-all.  Forum outage days, no challenge posted, you're away from your computer/device all day -- they all mean no posts for the day.  So be it; it's not the end of the world.

Oh, I think putting it in terms of ending the world rather overstates the importance of the matter. ;-)

iPhone

US71

Quote from: roadguy2 on June 18, 2017, 11:57:39 AM

I suppose it could be. You could always sit this one out, or post some other sign without telling. We'll never know. ;-)

iPhone

Let's start another Challenge for missed challenges.  </sacrasm>
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.