News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulthemapguy

QuoteAugust 11, 2017:  Show signage indicating two routes that end at the same point, coming from different directions.

UT-127WT by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

bassoon1986

Louisiana doesn't use END or BEGIN shields and these signs don't have directional tabs, but here are 3 termini. 182 is the thru route. 311 and 312 begin to the right and 3197 begins ahead.

iPhone

jbnv

QuoteAugust 11, 2017:  Show signage indicating two routes that end at the same point, coming from different directions.

US 51, LA 1065/1063 Route Signs by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Michael

This interchange is the southern end of NY 481 and the northern end of I-481.  Also, this sign assembly is technically at the western end of I-690 and the southern end of NY 690. :D

On a more serious note, here's NY 104A and NY 370 at NY 104.  NY 370 is signed east-west, but the signs for it on NY 104 indicate that the route heads south.  It technically does, but not for long.

I'm not sure if this one counts, but I'll include it anyway:

Credit: New York Routes

This is the northern terminus of both NY 690 and NY 631, but NY 631 is aligned east-west at this point.  The photo is looking north from NY 690.

dgolub

Western terminus of NY 105 at NY 106:

7/8

Highways 41 and 148 end at the same intersection in Pembroke, ON

US 89

Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 11, 2017, 12:04:47 PM

UT-127WT by Paul Drives, on Flickr

That one actually has an interesting story. Originally, 127 ran straight through this intersection, across the Great Salt Lake causeway. The causeway was flooded and destroyed when the lake rose in the 1980s. When the lake levels dropped, Davis County rebuilt the causeway, and currently maintains it as a toll road. So it's no longer a state highway, and 127 was truncated back.

jbnv

August 12, 2017: Post signs directing to a United States state's capitol building or campus.

This challenge will remain open until all 50 states have been posted. After August 12, 2017, only unposted states can be posted. (On August 12, 2017, and in any recap in which August 12, 2017, is allowed, signs for any state can be posted.)

Louisiana:

Capitol Access by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr

Florida:

US 27 Exit by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Jim

Quote from: jbnv on August 12, 2017, 09:11:28 AM
August 12, 2017: Post signs directing to a United States state's capitol building or campus.

Tennessee.  From I-65.  July 18, 2007.

Connecticut.  From I-91.  April 27, 2012.

Oklahoma.  From I-40.  July 1, 2013.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

paulthemapguy

I have pictures of a few literal state capitol buildings, but hardly any highways signs for them.

Here's a sign from TN

IMG_6693 by Paul Drives, on Flickr

I don't think Alaska is ever going to happen since Juneau hardly relies on highways...
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

jbnv

Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 12, 2017, 01:37:38 PM

This challenge will remain open until all 50 states have been posted. After August 12, 2017, only unposted states can be posted. (On August 12, 2017, and in any recap in which August 12, 2017, is allowed, signs for any state can be posted.)

I don't think Alaska is ever going to happen since Juneau hardly relies on highways...

The challenge doesn't say anything about highways or BGSs. At any rate, the challenge will remain open until someone finds and posts one.

D-Dey65

Quote from: dgolub on August 11, 2017, 07:10:05 PM

Oh, how I wish this wasn't true.

:no:

Jim

I didn't have time to venture far from the ferry terminal during my very brief and only visit to Juneau, so I'll offer this as a "not exactly what we were looking for" and hope someone else who's been to the city center and capitol area can do better.

This is right outside the ferry terminal.  June 23, 2001.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

jbnv

Quote from: Jim on August 12, 2017, 03:05:34 PM

I didn't have time to venture far from the ferry terminal during my very brief and only visit to Juneau, so I'll offer this as a "not exactly what we were looking for" and hope someone else who's been to the city center and capitol area can do better.

This is right outside the ferry terminal.  June 23, 2001.

This doesn't count.

dgolub

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 12, 2017, 02:44:02 PM
Quote from: dgolub on August 11, 2017, 07:10:05 PM

Oh, how I wish this wasn't true.

:no:

You mean that they should extend NY 106 down Newbridge Road again to Merrick Road (CR 27)?  Yes, totally agreed.  Also, reinstate NY 27A on Merrick Road.

hotdogPi

QuoteAugust 13, 2017: Your own road photos taken in August 2017 that have not yet been uploaded to this forum.

Old NH 28 sign in Derry by <name removed>, on Flickr

Just wondering, is this sign above actually old enough to be a "good" sign?

"One way enter", Derry NH by <name removed>, on Flickr

How common is "One Way Enter"? I saw two in Derry, NH, but I haven't seen any anywhere else.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

MNHighwayMan

QuoteAugust 13, 2017: Your own road photos taken in August 2017 that have not yet been uploaded to this forum.

These are all from August 2nd.

The first westbound MN-36 marker after crossing the new St. Croix River bridge, taken at the dedication ceremony.

Dual FYAs being used at Greely St/Oakgreen Ave and MN-36.

A rare state-named I-394 shield being used for a detour on I-35W in Minneapolis.

jbnv

The following states have been posted so far: CT, FL, LA, OK, TN.

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

empirestate

Quote from: 1 on August 13, 2017, 09:57:37 AM
August 13, 2017: Your own road photos taken in August 2017 that have not yet been uploaded to this forum.

Okay, let's not forget that this is a daily Challenge–while the intent isn't to be excessively difficult, there should be at least some amount of effort necessary to come up with an Answer. ;-)

Also, don't forget: if you do have a photo sitting around, just itching to be posted somewhere, there are still a few dates in June (4th—8th) whose Challenges were never opened. So you could come up with a Challenge that fits your photo, include it as an Answer, and close out that date. (And if the photo just happens to have been taken on the 30th of a month, you could also use it for the July 30th Challenge, which is also still open.)

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: empirestate on August 13, 2017, 01:38:44 PM
August 13, 2017: Your own road photos taken in August 2017 that have not yet been uploaded to this forum.

Okay, let's not forget that this is a daily Challenge–while the intent isn't to be excessively difficult, there should be at least some amount of effort necessary to come up with an Answer. ;-)

I mean, going out to get a half-decent picture some time during this month takes some amount of effort. ;-)

AsphaltPlanet

Also, don't forget: if you do have a photo sitting around, just itching to be posted somewhere, there are still a few dates in June (4th—8th) whose Challenges were never opened. So you could come up with a Challenge that fits your photo, include it as an Answer, and close out that date. (And if the photo just happens to have been taken on the 30th of a month, you could also use it for the July 30th Challenge, which is also still open.)

^ While I appreciate the sentiment to keep the spirit of the game in tact, I don't think it's irrelevant to remind everyone that this photo challenge is nothing more than a diversion on the internet.  It's just an excuse for people to share their photo collection, and kill time.  Let's not get overly serious about the content of the challenges.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

empirestate

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on August 13, 2017, 02:04:26 PM

^ While I appreciate the sentiment to keep the spirit of the game in tact, I don't think it's irrelevant to remind everyone that this photo challenge is nothing more than a diversion on the internet.  It's just an excuse for people to share their photo collection, and kill time.  Let's not get overly serious about the content of the challenges.

Agreed. Hopefully, nothing that gets written in this thread will be mistaken as having any great importance other than for its own sake. Even for the most egregious violation of the rules of this particular game, the penalty amounts to nothing more than me telling you about it. :-)

AsphaltPlanet

^ Yeah, fair enough.  It really is impressive that this thread has had as much staying power as it has to have had pretty consistent daily challenges since the thread was first launched all these many months ago.

7/8

These were taken on Perth CR 44 (in southwestern Ontario). I love how the road is lined with trees!

A bit random, but I thought it was cool how faded the Canadian Tire logo was on this truck (taken on the 401)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.