why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: empirestate on October 30, 2017, 06:51:38 PM
QuoteOctober 30, 2017
Challenge: Post photos of standard road or traffic signs deployed indoors.

Ooh, this will be easy...

Not decoratively, mind you–signs actually being used as designed, only inside of buildings.

...oh. Never mind. :-D

adventurernumber1

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 30, 2017, 07:12:44 PM
QuoteOctober 30, 2017

Not decoratively, mind you–signs actually being used as designed, only inside of buildings.

I had the exact same experience reading this.  :D  :-D

However, it will be an interesting challenge nonetheless.  :nod:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

ilpt4u

No pictures, but I feel like Airports should be a softball here: Isn't the "Do Not Enter" sign pretty commonly used at Secured Area/Airside exits to Unsecured Area/Landside?

paulthemapguy

QuoteOctober 30, 2017
[/quote]

Here's a sign being used as design, inside a building.
Guide sign made at the IDOT District 3 sign shop.  This is inside District 3 headquarters in Ottawa.

20170324_114221 by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 30, 2017, 09:58:58 PM
QuoteOctober 30, 2017

Guide sign made at the IDOT District 3 sign shop.  This is inside District 3 headquarters in Ottawa.

20170324_114221 by Paul Drives, on Flickr

I know I've seen this picture before... did we do a similar challenge at some point earlier in the year? Or was it posted in another thread? I love it though, that's pretty cool to do stuff like that. Would be better though if it'd been green and white. ;-)

paulthemapguy

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 30, 2017, 10:07:16 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 30, 2017, 09:58:58 PM
QuoteOctober 30, 2017

I know I've seen this picture before... did we do a similar challenge at some point earlier in the year? Or was it posted in another thread? I love it though, that's pretty cool to do stuff like that. Would be better though if it'd been green and white. ;-)

I know I posted it somewhere on this site...I did a search in this thread and found nothing.  If you look around the grounds at road districts, you'll typically see at least a couple roadway-style signs made in the sign shop to guide employees and visitors around.  Putting them inside the buildings is far less common though!  Occasionally I'll end up at an IDOT district office or a public works office for a class I need to maintain my license as a professional engineer, and I'll find some roadway style signs used to guide visitors like myself.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

formulanone

QuoteOctober 30, 2017

Closest I can do is post this from the Knoxville airport...but it's more "roadgeek art". You do have to walk on either side of it, though!

kphoger

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on October 30, 2017, 05:25:06 PM
Quote from: chays on October 30, 2017, 04:59:08 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 30, 2017, 04:51:26 PM
I just hosted a picture to imgur, but then I realized everyone has been posting pictures to a challenge from three weeks ago...   :eyebrow:

That's okay, it's the monthly roundup

That is correct. No need to worry.  :)

At the end of every month, all challenges ever since the day that the last recap list was posted (usually 2 or 3 days before a month ends) are re-opened for an end-of-the-month ultimate catch-up challenge. So in these few days at the end of every month, you can post contributions for challenges from any day in that range, such as the 1st, 4th, 12th, 19th, 23rd, etc. So if the picture you uploaded was an entry to one of the challenges in that range, then your uploading should not have been to no avail!  :nod:  ;-)

Well, in that case!

QuoteOctober 8, 2017:  Road photos taken from above, looking down.

Kellogg (US 54/400) in Wichita near my house
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

And now for the most recent challenge...

QuoteOctober 30, 2017

Warehouses are a prime candidate for this challenge.  After a quick Google search, I found this on a Canadian manufacturers' association website.

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

empirestate

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on October 30, 2017, 07:49:58 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 30, 2017, 07:12:44 PM
QuoteOctober 30, 2017

I had the exact same experience reading this.  :D  :-D

However, it will be an interesting challenge nonetheless.  :nod:

Actually, this was inspired by a regular daily occurrence for me: there are STOP signs deployed inside Grand Central Terminal, some complete with flashing LED borders, for use by those little buggies that employees drive around in. Of course, I haven't actually snapped a photo of them yet. Maybe I can get one when I go into the city later today; otherwise, I'll have to catch up at the next recap. :-)

chays

QuoteOctober 31 - It's Halloween.  Post your scariest road-related pic

This is not mine, as I don't take pictures of roads.  But it is pretty scary!

hbelkins

This doesn't scare me, but it scares a lot of people.  :-D

2017 WV route-clinching trip Day 4 - 018 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

adventurernumber1

QuoteOctober 21st, 2017: Post a photo of the highest exit number in your collection.

The highest exit number in my collection is actually in my neck of the woods.  :D

That would be Interstate 75's highest exit number in the state of Georgia (picture taken on I-75 Northbound):

Quote10/22 ==> post a picture of a traffic barrel.

My contribution to this challenge is from off of Interstate 75 Southbound in Dalton, Georgia (traffic barrels are on the right in the picture):

Quote10/24 ==> post a picture of exit 1.

My contribution to this challenge is from off of Tennessee Highway 153 Southbound in Chattanooga, TN:

Last Edit before this was at 11:27:13 AM
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

formulanone

QuoteOctober 21st, 2017: Post a photo of the highest exit number in your collection.

I-10's eastern border, headed west:

QuoteOctober 20, 2017:  Post a photo you took in 2017 of a state, provincial, or national welcome sign where a road meets a political boundary.

I couldn't get a good shot of this on eastbound I-20 for years, so there's something to be said for construction-throttled speed limits...

QuoteOctober 14, 2017: Any road picture that exemplifies a state stereotype.

Dallas, step right up...it just isn't right without the hat.

kphoger

Hey, thanks for doing these monthly recaps.  It allows me to post my favorite picture from my small collection.

QuoteOctober 12: post a pic of a broken/vandalized sign.

Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: chays on October 31, 2017, 10:00:29 AM

Quote from: US71 on October 31, 2017, 12:16:33 PM
October 31st Challenge
Just for fun, Halloween related signs

Do you guys need to fight this one out?
Male pronouns, please.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on October 31, 2017, 01:10:46 PM

October 31st Challenge

IMO they seem like the same challenge, just worded differently.

US71

October 31st Challenge

I did not see his post when I posted mine, so I will delete my challenge
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on October 31, 2017, 04:13:09 PM

October 31st Challenge

I did not see his post when I posted mine, so I will delete my challenge

Too late now.  It lives on in quote string infamy.
Male pronouns, please.

jflick99

I-70 Exit 419 in Kansas City, Kansas.

dgolub

October 31st Challenge

This picture was actually taken on Halloween two years ago.  When we passed through again later after dark, we did manage to run into some witches.

adventurernumber1

QuoteOctober 5th, 2017: Post road photos that will make you look twice!

My contribution to this challenge is from off of the ramp from I-285 Eastbound to I-85 Northbound (on the northeastern stack interchange). This picture of mine was taken on a very recent trip to Athens, Georgia, and when I was reviewing all the nice photos that I had been able to snap, I remember seeing this one and thinking "Wow, someone who doesn't know what that is will have to do a double-take!"  :-D

The reason that this photo does look like this is because my father is driving in the driver's seat on the front left (who's hands you can see), and I am sitting in the back right seat taking all of the road photos on my phone. From this angle, it does look quite a bit like we are about to drive right off of the interchange!!  :wow:

QuoteOctober 16, 2017: Post photos of runaway truck ramps.

I have 2 contributions to this challenge, both of which are in the state of Tennessee.

My first contribution to this challenge is from off of Interstate 24 Eastbound, just southeast of Monteagle, TN, where it goes down the Cumberland Plateau. This picture is by courtesy of Google Maps Street View:

My second contribution to this challenge is from off of Interstate 26 Westbound in the Appalachian Mountains in northeastern TN, and I think that this is really close to the NC border. This picture is by courtesy of Google Maps Street View:

adventurernumber1

October 18: Post an exit direction sign (that is, the last sign before a freeway exit) that uses an arrow other than a typical diagonal arrow or a down arrow. So fair game are loop arrows, the weird NJ Turnpike arrows, right arrows, et al.

My contribution to this challenge is from off of Interstate 75 Northbound in far southern Georgia (Valdosta, specifically) at the interchange with US 84/US 221 (EXIT 16). This picture is by courtesy of Google Maps Street View:

And since I have space left in this post (regarding the 3-pictures-per-post rule in this thread), I will treat you all with a close-up picture of this BGS:  ;-)

(NOTE: I APOLOGIZE FOR THE CRAPPY QUALITY OF THE PICTURES IN THESE LAST TWO POSTS OF MINE - I AM CURRENTLY UNABLE TO UPLOAD RAW, NEW PHOTOS FROM MY PHONE AND SUCH FOR THE TIME BEING - I AM TRYING TO GET THIS FIXED ASAP)

Michael

QuoteOctober 30, 2017

I have two "almost" pictures for this challenge.

I took this picture in 2013 at Darien Lake while walking from the theme park to the amphitheater:

Obviously this isn't indoors, but it is along the walking path and is intended for pedestrians.

I got a kick out of this sign I saw in the Broome County Transit Center in 2013, so I took a picture of it:

Lastly, my local Aldi has gates at the checkout for when a lane is closed, and they have MUTCD standard "Do Not Enter" signs on them, but at least one is in Helvetica (I think).  I can't find any pictures of one online.

7/8

QuoteNovember 1, 2017: Today is All Saints' Day. Post photos of signs with the word "saint".

I'll upload my own examples this evening.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.