News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulthemapguy

No A or B leaves me with very few options.  Most entries for this challenge will probably come from New York State, like someone else already said.

IMG_2801 by Paul Drives, on Flickr

And I'm pretty sure this counts, as the "N" is in sequence with the letters that precede it, making the label unrelated to a cardinal direction.

IMG_2797 by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

formulanone

November 8, 2017: Post pictures of routes with letter suffixes other than A, B, or a compass direction.

empirestate

Quote from: formulanone on November 06, 2017, 09:00:42 PM
Technically, a challenge stays open until someone (presumably other than the OP) posts a response:

QuoteHowever, a Challenge is not closed if there are no pictures submitted that satisfy it, but we still move on to the next day's Challenge.

So dgolub was okay to post.

No, your presumption isn't correct. The Challenge is closed when the later of two things happens: (1) the calendar day ends, or (2) a photo is posted that satisfies the Challenge. For example, the November 7th Challenge is still open because, while that calendar day has ended, no photos have been posted that satisfy it. That photo can be posted by the OP along with the initial Challange statement, or by anyone else–in fact, in the case of November 7th, since the Challenge statement itself hasn't yet been posted, it has to be the OP who submits the satisfying photo.

formulanone

Quote from: empirestate on November 08, 2017, 01:24:58 PM
Technically, a challenge stays open until someone (presumably other than the OP) posts a response:

QuoteHowever, a Challenge is not closed if there are no pictures submitted that satisfy it, but we still move on to the next day's Challenge.

No, your presumption isn't correct. The Challenge is closed when the later of two things happens: (1) the calendar day ends, or (2) a photo is posted that satisfies the Challenge. For example, the November 7th Challenge is still open because, while that calendar day has ended, no photos have been posted that satisfy it. That photo can be posted by the OP along with the initial Challange statement, or by anyone else—in fact, in the case of November 7th, since the Challenge statement itself hasn't yet been posted, it has to be the OP who submits the satisfying photo.

For the purposes of this thread, I feel there is little point to a challenge if only the original poster of the suggestion can satisfy it, and that the only initial post ends the challenge.

empirestate

Quote from: formulanone on November 08, 2017, 06:30:50 PM
Quote from: empirestate on November 08, 2017, 01:24:58 PM

No, your presumption isn't correct. The Challenge is closed when the later of two things happens: (1) the calendar day ends, or (2) a photo is posted that satisfies the Challenge. For example, the November 7th Challenge is still open because, while that calendar day has ended, no photos have been posted that satisfy it. That photo can be posted by the OP along with the initial Challange statement, or by anyone else–in fact, in the case of November 7th, since the Challenge statement itself hasn't yet been posted, it has to be the OP who submits the satisfying photo.

For the purposes of this thread, I feel there is little point to a challenge if only the original poster of the suggestion can satisfy it, and that the only initial post ends the challenge.

It's basically meant as a wild card, for those random photos you might want to post but can't quite fit them into the regular Challenges. You could come up with a super-difficult Challenge, say (or a super-easy one), and not have to worry about others being unable to match it.

Also, keep in mind that Challenges posted this way still get re-opened during the monthly recap (assuming they're still from the current month).

MNHighwayMan

November 8, 2017: Pictures of routes with letter suffixes other than A, B, or a compass direction.

I thought this one wasn't going to be possible for me to answer, but then I remembered this little gem I have. One of Iowa's rare double-lettered county routes in Prairie City.

jmd41280

QuoteNovember 8, 2017: Pictures of routes with letter suffixes other than A, B, or a compass direction.

NY 9D in Philipstown:

NY Route 9D, US 6 & US 202 shields by Jon Dawson, on Flickr
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

Jim

QuoteNovember 8, 2017: Pictures of routes with letter suffixes other than A, B, or a compass direction.

New York 31F from I-490.  August 14, 2016.

Don't forget all of Nebraska's links and spurs for this one.  Here's the 13D Spur from US 34.  July 28, 2016.

Back to New York for 990V, the signed reference route.  From New York 30.  March 16, 2010.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

formulanone

November 8, 2017: Pictures of routes with letter suffixes other than A, B, or a compass direction.

Not sure if this one was supposed to get the little interstate shield or it's just a NY reference route on I-684:

JasonOfORoads

Seeing as how it's past midnight in most of the US, I'll throw out the next challenge. Hope I'm doing this right:

QuoteNovember 9, 2017: Pictures of exit numbers with letter suffixes or prefixes, with these conditions:

• Milepost-based exits cannot use A, B or C as suffixes
  • Kilometer-based exits cannot use A or B as suffixes
  • Sequential-based exits cannot use A, N, S, E or W as suffixes
  • Any letter(s) can be used as a prefix
  • Letter-only exits (like Exit A) prohibited, since they were used in a recent challenge
  • Must be an official highway sign of some kind -- billboards, advertisements etc. verboten

Let's see how high of a letter suffix we can get. I'll kick things off with a GSV screenshot of what might be Oregon's only remaining letter suffixed exit above C, Exit 1D on I-405 North in Portland:

Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

hotdogPi

QuoteNovember 9, 2017: Pictures of exit numbers with letter suffixes or prefixes, with these conditions:

• Letter-only exits (like Exit A) prohibited, since they were used in a recent challenge
  • Must be an official highway sign of some kind -- billboards, advertisements etc. verboten

So B can be used if it's sequential?

I-95 south in New Hampshire, Exit 3 by me, on Flickr
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

dgolub

Quote from: formulanone on November 08, 2017, 11:06:11 PM

Not sure if this one was supposed to get the little interstate shield or it's just a NY reference route on I-684:

It's a reference route that got erroneously signed as an interstate on the mileposts.

dgolub

Grand Central Parkway westbound at exit 9P:

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: 1 on November 09, 2017, 05:07:46 AM

Yeah. I debated saying both A and B couldn't be used for sequential, but figured that there'd be much fewer sequential B exits than mile/km-based B exits, so I allowed it. It's the same reason why C exits are allowed for km-based roads but not mileage based.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

AsphaltPlanet

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_410-427_images/416_dv_74_north_Sep11_24x16.jpg
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

hotdogPi

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on November 09, 2017, 10:07:50 AM
Quote from: 1 on November 09, 2017, 05:07:46 AM

Yeah. I debated saying both A and B couldn't be used for sequential, but figured that there'd be much fewer sequential B exits than mile/km-based B exits, so I allowed it. It's the same reason why C exits are allowed for km-based roads but not mileage based.

You're not familiar with sequential numbering. B is almost as common as A (they almost always form a pair), and both are much more common than E, W, S, and N.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

PHLBOS

Sequential numbered exit (I-93 in MA).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Jim

NJTP's Exit 15X, taken on July 9, 2007.

Eth

I-75/85's exit 249D in Atlanta:

kphoger

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on November 09, 2017, 02:23:42 AM

Let's see how high of a letter suffix we can get.

Well, I'm pretty sure we can only go as high as Y.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on November 09, 2017, 02:23:42 AM
November 9, 2017: Pictures of exit numbers with letter suffixes or prefixes, with these conditions:

Kansas City sure is wild.

IMG_1686 by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

CNGL-Leudimin

Even though it's already past midnight in my time zone, I use Eastern for forum purposes, so...

Here is some km-based love:
Exit 1C off M-30, Madrid, Spain.
Exit 2C off M-45, Leganes, Spain.

And here is some Wyoming cheating: Exit 8D off I-25 (mile-based), there is an exit 8B before but no 8A or 8C.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Jim

Reading the challenge more closely, I see I can use the Thruway Berkshire Spur's exits.

B1 westbound.  September 13, 2014.

B2 westbound.  November 24, 2005.

B3 eastbound.  June 23, 2009.

Truvelo

This one in Albuquerque counts and I shouldn't really be taking photos with a police cruiser ahead :rolleyes:

Speed limits limit life

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.