News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: US71 on November 11, 2017, 01:06:58 PM
You also admit using US Eastern Time for your posts. So which time zone do you prefer?

No, I use my local time minus 6 hours (thus observing European DST rules instead of American ones), which matches with Eastern most of the year. Anyway, the challenge for today was already set, so I consider the Veteran or armed forces related signage to be invalid.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

paulthemapguy

QuoteNovember 11th, 2017
Challenge: Post veteran- or armed forces-related signs.

Veterans Pkwy is the main drag in Bloomington, IL.  Taken from IL-9.

IL-009-BL55E by Paul Drives, on Flickr

I'll be on another Veterans Pkwy in Bolingbrook, IL later today.  Maybe I'll get a picture of that, too.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

Jim

Looks like we have dueling challenges today, but this one seems to be taking off, so I'll go with this one.

QuoteNovember 11th, 2017

At the top of Loveland Pass, Colorado, on US 6.  April 13, 2002.

Disabled American Veterans Memorial Highway on I-71 in Ohio.  April 26, 2004.

I-15 Veterans Memorial Highway in Arizona.  October 4, 2015.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

US71

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 11, 2017, 02:08:08 PM
Quote from: US71 on November 11, 2017, 01:06:58 PM
You also admit using US Eastern Time for your posts. So which time zone do you prefer?

No, I use my local time minus 6 hours (thus observing European DST rules instead of American ones), which matches with Eastern most of the year. Anyway, the challenge for today was already set, so I consider the Veteran or armed forces related signage to be invalid.

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 10, 2017, 06:09:45 PM
Taking advantage of my time zone, I set the challenge for "tomorrow" :sombrero:.

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 09, 2017, 06:17:08 PM
I use Eastern for forum purposes, so...

So by your own admission, you have deliberately circumvented the rules.
I think we should continue with  Veteran- or armed forces-related signs given this is Veterans Day.
Then we can go back to your challenge tomorrow (the 12th). Unless one of my co-moderators thinks otherwise.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: empirestate on January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM
2. Anyone may post the next day's Challenge, subject of course to Rule #1.

This makes the Veteran or armed forces related signage challenge unconstitutional :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

empirestate

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 11, 2017, 12:48:06 PM
Quote from: empirestate on November 11, 2017, 11:06:47 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 10, 2017, 06:09:45 PM
Taking advantage of my time zone, I set the challenge for "tomorrow" :sombrero:.

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 09, 2017, 06:17:08 PM
I use Eastern for forum purposes, so...

...so, looks like your November 11th Challenge isn't valid, then (posted on Nov. 10th, Eastern time).

No, no. This contradicts rule 1:
Quote from: empirestate on January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM1. Only one Challenge per calendar day (not per 24 hours). Calendars days are counted by your local time, so if it's the correct date when and where you post, it's valid. When posting an Answer, please quote the Challenge statement to which you're responding (in case the date displayed for some users doesn't match the Challenge date).

My local time zone is CET (although here I quote times of the day in Eastern time), so my challenge is valid, and this one...
QuoteNovember 11th, 2017

... is not valid as there was already one set up.

Anyway, I may remove my post for November 9th as it was already November 10th were I live.

Aha, I see the problem. The time zone issue was clarified in later posts as referring to whatever time is used for forum purposes, but the original post was never updated to reflect this clarification. It has now been edited accordingly.

Since you've previously noted that you use Eastern time for forum purposes, and since that's consistent with Rule #1 as clarified and now as amended, that seems like a fair basis for deciding this question.

So, the Veterans Day-themed Challenge suggested by JasonOfRoads will be the valid Challenge for November 11th.
SO ORDERED :pan:
(in absence of a gavel) :D

adventurernumber1

I think it's perfectly alright to re-state CNGL-Leudimin's challenge on another day (the non- Veteran's Day one), and keep the other challenge (the Veteran's Day one by empirestate) for today (especially since it is very appropriate for this day). I mean, I goofed up a little while back and accidentally posted my own challenge on August 29th, while forgetting that that would be the day of that month dedicated to the monthly recap. But my attempted challenge was re-stated on a later, more acceptable day, which was a couple of days later on August 31st - and actually, you were the one who did that, CNGL-Leudimin.  :)

See here:

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 30, 2017, 06:39:26 PM
Since it's past midnight CEST (but not my forum time), I bring back this attempt by adventurenumber1 when it was recap time:
QuoteAugust 29th 31st Challenge ---> Post pictures of roads that are undergoing pavement milling, which is the scraping out of pavement on the surface, which is usually used for reasons such as (but this challenge is not limited to) a resurfacing or other construction projects:

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: empirestate on November 11, 2017, 06:10:23 PMAha, I see the problem. The time zone issue was clarified in later posts as referring to whatever time is used for forum purposes, but the original post was never updated to reflect this clarification. It has now been edited accordingly.

Since you've previously noted that you use Eastern time for forum purposes, and since that's consistent with Rule #1 as clarified and now as amended, that seems like a fair basis for deciding this question.

So, the Veterans Day-themed Challenge suggested by JasonOfRoads will be the valid Challenge for November 11th.

So, per rule #2, I reinstate this for tomorrow:
QuoteNovember 12, 2017: Post Interstate shields showing a number which doesn't exist as an Interstate

Although I still regard it as the valid challenge for November 11, not the Veteran one (in first place because Spain has never fought in a World War).

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

US71

Quote from: empirestate on November 11, 2017, 06:10:23 PM

empirestate

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 11, 2017, 06:43:28 PM
QuoteNovember 12, 2017: Post Interstate shields showing a number which doesn't exist as an Interstate

And if you reinstate it tomorrow, it will be the Challenge for tomorrow! :)

QuoteAlthough I still regard it as the valid challenge for November 11, not the Veteran one (in first place because Spain has never fought in a World War).

Now that I don't follow...a veteran is someone who has served in the armed services. Does not Spain have any such people?

US71

Quote from: empirestate on November 11, 2017, 07:47:35 PM

And if you reinstate it tomorrow, it will be the Challenge for tomorrow! :)

QuoteAlthough I still regard it as the valid challenge for November 11, not the Veteran one (in first place because Spain has never fought in a World War).

Now that I don't follow...a veteran is someone who has served in the armed services. Does not Spain have any such people?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spain_during_World_War_II

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: empirestate on November 11, 2017, 07:47:35 PM

They certainly do. There was the whole Spanish Civil War, after all.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: empirestate on November 11, 2017, 06:10:23 PMAha, I see the problem. The time zone issue was clarified in later posts as referring to whatever time is used for forum purposes, but the original post was never updated to reflect this clarification. It has now been edited accordingly.

King City Oregon, a Purple Heart City. Taken at the corner of SW Fischer Rd. & Oregon 99W on November 10, 2017:

To Interstates 99W and 217 on SW Dartmouth St. in Tigard, OR. From the July 2012 GSV, since this has been corrected as of 2016:

This kind of error was standard for City of Tigard signage erected during the mid 1990s.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

empirestate

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on November 11, 2017, 11:00:40 PM

To Interstates 99W and 217 on SW Dartmouth St. in Tigard, OR. From the July 2012 GSV, since this has been corrected as of 2016:

This kind of error was standard for City of Tigard signage erected during the mid 1990s.

Again, you can't post on the 11th for a Challenge on the 12th. So far, November 12th is still open.

US71

Quote from: empirestate on November 12, 2017, 09:41:51 AM

Again, you can't post on the 11th for a Challenge on the 12th. So far, November 12th is still open.

Now that  CNGL-Leudimin has managed to bollix things up, what IS today's challenge?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: US71 on November 12, 2017, 10:02:12 AM
bollix

That is a very interesting way to spell bollocks. (TIL of an alternative way to spell it...) :-D

empirestate

Quote from: US71 on November 12, 2017, 10:02:12 AM

Now that  CNGL-Leudimin has managed to bollix things up, what IS today's challenge?

There isn't one, yet.

CNGL-Leudimin

From the rules:
Quote from: empirestate on January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM2. Anyone may post the next day's Challenge, subject of course to Rule #1.

You are breaking your own rules :sombrero:. Anyway, I repost the challenge again:

This time should be valid.

empirestate

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 12, 2017, 03:31:15 PM

From the rules:
Quote from: empirestate on January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM2. Anyone may post the next day's Challenge, subject of course to Rule #1.

You are breaking your own rules :sombrero:.

How so? Rule #1 says there's only one Challenge per day; you posted a second Challenge on a day when there already was one.

QuoteAnyway, I repost the challenge again:

Perfectly. And if nobody submits a photo for it, it will still be valid tomorrow. :)

formulanone

Quote from: empirestate on November 12, 2017, 08:10:37 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 12, 2017, 03:31:15 PM

From the rules:

You are breaking your own rules :sombrero:.

How so? Rule #1 says there's only one Challenge per day; you posted a second Challenge on a day when there already was one.

QuoteAnyway, I repost the challenge again:

Perfectly. And if nobody submits a photo for it, it will still be valid tomorrow. :)

Business Loop 344 used in place of Texas State Highway Loop 344:

paulthemapguy

QuoteNovember 14, 2017:  Post a sign photo showing the shield of an Interstate that spends less than 1 mile in the state where it was photographed.

I-480 spends less than a mile in the state of Iowa.

IA-I-480 by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

MNHighwayMan

QuoteNovember 14, 2017: Post a sign photo showing the shield of an Interstate that spends less than 1 mile in the state where it was photographed.

I might be pushing it a bit with this particular interpretation of the challenge, but it's worth a shot anyway. (Pity points for creativity if it doesn't count? ;-))

This assembly is in Iowa, and it has a shield for Missouri's section of I-35, which has zero miles in Iowa. :)

kphoger

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on November 14, 2017, 11:09:27 AM
(Pity points for creativity if it doesn't count?

You are hereby awarded 50 pity points.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on November 14, 2017, 11:09:27 AM

I might be pushing it a bit with this particular interpretation of the challenge, but it's worth a shot anyway. (Pity points for creativity if it doesn't count? ;-))

This assembly is in Iowa, and it has a shield for Missouri's section of I-35, which has zero miles in Iowa. :)

I've never seen two different names on a set of state-named shields before.

QuoteNovember 14, 2017: Post a sign photo showing the shield of an Interstate that spends less than 1 mile in the state where it was photographed.

Drat, I-684 in Connecticut is too long for this challenge, and my I-375 photo has no shields.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.