News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truvelo

I assume it's area otherwise my entry would be the largest if it's by population.
Speed limits limit life

US 89

QuoteFebruary 15th: Post a picture from the smallest county in a state.

If we're talking area, here's one from Davis County, Utah. It's third-largest by population, but smallest in area.

empirestate

QuoteFebruary 16, 2018
Challenge: Post road photos from Scandinavia and the Nordic countries (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland, and their dependencies).

Still hoping for more international content, so let's just try the direct approach. :-)

(Also, how are we on the current state name sub-Challenge?)

Jim

QuoteFebruary 16, 2018
Challenge: Post road photos from Scandinavia and the Nordic countries (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland, and their dependencies).

I've got a handful, despite not driving on my one trip to Copenhagen which included short train sides trip to Roskilde and Malmö.  I'll try to post ones I don't recall putting in other picture challenge threads.

In Lyngby, Denmark.  June 23, 2004.

Malmö, Sweden.  June 24, 2004.

Copenhagen.  June 25, 2004.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Truvelo

QuoteFebruary 16, 2018

Here's one from Sweden taken in 2005

Speed limits limit life

Eth

QuoteFebruary 16, 2018

Here are a few Icelandic road photos that I haven't used in the street name challenge. Unfortunately, these aren't great because they were taken on a moving bus that I for some reason chose to sit on the left side of.

Route 41 eastbound approaching route 424:

I believe this is the roundabout with route 424, though it's not shown on this sign:

Pointing the way further down route 41 toward Reykjavík:

jflick99

Quote from: empirestate on February 16, 2018, 03:28:59 PM
(Also, how are we on the current state name sub-Challenge?)

Montana is up next.

Mapmikey

QuoteFebruary 16, 2018

From my 2016 trip to Norway...

This is Rv 15 westbound at the Jostedalsbreen Nat'l Park:

Overhead signage in Bergen:

Fv 63 in the town of Valldal, where it changes roads:

One of the hairpins of Trolstigen.  Don't overshoot it...

JasonOfORoads

Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

chays

oscar

The preceding photo also covers Nevada.

Next up: New Hampshire.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

empirestate

Quote from: oscar on February 16, 2018, 11:13:50 PM

I suppose it does...but it would be cool if anybody could find something different for Nevada!

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: empirestate on February 17, 2018, 12:50:38 AM
Quote from: oscar on February 16, 2018, 11:13:50 PM

I suppose it does...but it would be cool if anybody could find something different for Nevada!

Here you go: Nevada Ave in Des Moines.

CNGL-Leudimin

IMO Montana hasn't been played yet. Ã' is a different sound from N.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

oscar

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 17, 2018, 01:16:42 PM

Is Ã' also considered a different letter in the Spanish alphabet than N? I recall hearing that in high school Spanish class, FWIW.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

AsphaltPlanet

Just so there can be no challenges:

From wikipedia
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

hotdogPi

Quote from: oscar on February 17, 2018, 01:22:12 PM

Is Ã' also considered a different letter in the Spanish alphabet than N? I recall hearing that in high school Spanish class, FWIW.

Yes. They're separate letters.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

CNGL-Leudimin

Yup, it's a different letter too (as pointed out by 1), and as such I retain it when writting Spanish names in English. "Montaña" is different from "Montana". I also retain the diaeresis over the U when it occurs even if it's not a letter of its own as it means that U is to be pronounced (and only happens in "güe" and "güi" syllabes anyway, as opposed to "gue" and "gui" where it's silent). OTOH, I drop out all acutes as they only indicate the stressed syllabe, they do not affect collation (just as if they didn't exist, that explains why baffles me when I find a word starting with a vowel with acute at the end instead of its expected position), and per experience words in English are to be stressed at speaker's discretion.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

empirestate

It's a different letter in Spanish, though not in English. I debated with myself whether Montaña should count, but I guess I let it slide. (FWIW, if different sounds make an entry invalid, then "Arkansas" wouldn't be acceptable for "Kansas".)

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 17, 2018, 01:27:52 PM
Just so there can be no challenges:

From wikipedia

Not a road photo. :bigass:

jwolfer

Montana was named for the Spanish word montaña ... English does not have the ñ so it was always written n... So it could be argued the ñ is implied in the state name

Z981

chays

empirestate

I think we're more than good with Monta[ñ]a. Who's got a New Hampshire? :-D

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: empirestate on February 18, 2018, 10:09:28 PM

I played New Hampshire above, we're on to New Jersey now.

empirestate

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 19, 2018, 10:21:44 AM
Quote from: empirestate on February 18, 2018, 10:09:28 PM

I played New Hampshire above, we're on to New Jersey now.

Even better!

Also acceptable would be a Challenge for February 17th, 18th or 19th. ;-)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.