News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 14, 2018, 09:10:35 AM
Since no other challenge has been posted yet.

QuoteMay 12, 2018: State abbreviations that aren't the standard 2-letter postal abbreviation.

A lot of people like to add the second "L" in "ILLinois."  This is on US41 in Indiana.

IN-US41-I-74NN by Paul Drives, on Flickr

Back before the 2 Letter Postal Abbreviations, Ill was commonly used on lmailing addresses. Ark was Arkansas, Tenn was Tennessee, Mo was Missouri.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

TBKS1

Quote from: empirestate on May 14, 2018, 09:43:40 AM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 14, 2018, 09:10:35 AM
Since no other challenge has been posted yet.

QuoteMay 12, 2018: State abbreviations that aren't the standard 2-letter postal abbreviation.

Um, today's the 14th. You're a couple days late...

I'll make up a challenge... although it's probably already been done before. I don't really care. lol

Challenge for May 14th: A BBS (Big Brown Sign) or anything similar containing any Nationally Protected Area.

Here's probably one of the only ones in the US that contains 2!

2 National Protected Areas in 1 sign by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

US71

US 89

QuoteMay 14, 2018: A BBS (Big Brown Sign) or anything similar containing any Nationally Protected Area.

Timpanogos Cave National Monument:

Does a National Historic District count?

7/8

QuoteMay 14, 2018: A BBS (Big Brown Sign) or anything similar containing any Nationally Protected Area.

I'm in Mountain Time, so it's still May 14th here.

Sign leaving Mt. Rushmore (in SD)

Welcome sign for Grand Teton N.P. heading south from Yellowstone (in WY)

Sign for Arches N.P. on US 191 in Moab, UT

TBKS1

A bit of an international challenge... I guess?

Challenge for May 16th: A city limit sign or direction referring to one of it's sister cities.

Here's what I have.

Fort Smith City Limit by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

MCRoads

May 17 ==> One lane roads/bridges/tunnels, and the controll devices (if any).

My example is just north of the Golden Gate,  under 101. I cannot remember the name of it.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

empirestate

Quote from: MCRoads on May 17, 2018, 09:57:50 AM

My example is just north of the Golden Gate,  under 101. I cannot remember the name of it.

You forgot the photo of your example!

MCRoads

Quote from: empirestate on May 17, 2018, 10:30:32 AM

IDK how to link GSV on mobile....
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

empirestate

Quote from: MCRoads on May 17, 2018, 10:32:32 AM
Quote from: empirestate on May 17, 2018, 10:30:32 AM

IDK how to link GSV on mobile....

It's been posted a couple times in this thread...search the topic for "gsv api" and it'll pop right up.

(If you can't get it to work for mobile, a screenshot is perfectly OK.)

US71

White River Bridge
Beaver, AR

Old US 71
Saginaw, MO

oscar

QuoteMay 17 ==> One lane roads/bridges/tunnels, and the controll devices (if any).

There are lots of one-lane roads out there, some one-lane bridges, and the occasional one-lane tunnel. Here's one of each.

The Whittier (AK) one-lane tunnel, with alternating phases for westbound cars/trucks, eastbound cars/trucks, and Alaska Railroad trains. This photo shows control devices at the east end, as well as an Alaska Railroad passenger train to the Whittier ferry dock emerging from the tunnel:

One of the three one-lane bridges crossing the Wainiha River, on highway 560 along the north shore of Hawaii's Kauai island (the bridge has more recently received steel reinforcements but still is one-lane):

Finally, mostly one-lane county route 340 (part of the Kahekili Highway) along the northwest Maui coast. There is a short stretch of highway with a center stripe, but most of it you're lucky to get edge stripes on one or both pavement edges (this is not a good highway for tourists to drive at night):

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

formulanone

QuoteMay 17 ==> One lane roads/bridges/tunnels, and the control devices (if any).

Armstrong Redwoods outside Guerneville, CA:

MNHighwayMan

QuoteMay 17, 2018: One lane roads/bridges/tunnels, and the control devices (if any).

One-lane bridge on US-136 over Muddy Creek east of Princeton, Missouri. I was surprised to learn that this kind of thing still existed on the US Route system.

TBKS1

QuoteMay 17, 2018: One lane roads/bridges/tunnels, and the control devices (if any).

How about a 1 lane bridge in Jacksonville, Arkansas? This picture was taken about a month after all of the flooding here, and during that time, this bridge was completely underwater.

Mapmikey

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 17, 2018, 05:38:24 PM

One-lane bridge on US-136 over Muddy Creek east of Princeton, Missouri. I was surprised to learn that this kind of thing still existed on the US Route system.

US 9W has one-lane underpasses at railroads...

paulthemapguy

May 18, 2018:  Post the names of streets or towns whose first two letters are the same.

cityOC by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

oscar

QuoteMay 18, 2018:  Post the names of streets or towns whose first two letters are the same.

This community name in the far outer reaches of northern Los Angeles County CA technically might not qualify, since "Llano" is a Spanish word, and in that language's alphabet "ll" is a separate character like "ch" and "ñ".

OTOH, this street name in Easton MD is probably not Spanish, so that technicality wouldn't apply.

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kphoger

Quote from: oscar on May 18, 2018, 03:17:09 PM
QuoteMay 18, 2018:  Post the names of streets or towns whose first two letters are the same.

This community name in the far outer reaches of northern Los Angeles County CA technically might not qualify, since "Llano" is a Spanish word, and in that language's alphabet "ll" is a separate character like "ch" and "ñ".

Not since 2010.  The REA now excludes them as letters of the alphabet, and modern dictionaries reflect this change.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

I'm assuming that for the purposes of this challenge, Missouri's secondary routes don't count?

hotdogPi

Already done: December 22, 2017, page 124.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on May 18, 2018, 05:15:15 PM
Already done: December 22, 2017, page 124.

FYI...  For those of us who have our settings to where recent posts go to the top instead of the bottom, such a reference isn't all that useful.  I had to do a quick estimate in my head to figure out what page that worked out to be in my view of the thread.  I still ended up off by one page; I knew it would be in the low 40s.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

^ Or, just forget about it, relax, and/or post something related to the challenge. There's the chance some folks missed it the first time around, or have another photo to share.

(Insert overused animated smiley.)

paulthemapguy

Starting to care less and less about duplicity at this stage.  We've done hundreds of these.  Coming up with something original is more and more difficult.  Oh well.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

empirestate

There is no rule regarding re-using previous Challenges.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.