News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Uni-Signs come to Ohio

Started by CanesFan27, November 09, 2009, 09:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

Was in Columbus over the weekend - and spotted a Virginia styled uni-sign for OH 315.

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2009/11/uni-signs-invade-ohio.html

(sorry it was just about dusk when I took the photo).  There were quite a few uni-signs for 315, I-71, and I-670 in the Arena District...not sure if they are anywhere else in downtown or in Ohio for that matter.

Dougtone

I had noticed the uni-signs elsewhere around Columbus, but nowhere else in Ohio.  I'm not sure if it's the contractor, ODOT or the City of Columbus putting up those signs.  I also saw uni-signs in Dublin, OH, but they are not of the same style as the example shown in the blog.

ctsignguy

That would probably be the city of Columbus who made them.....ODOT generally defers signing on State and US routes to the localities....
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Dougtone

That would make a lot of sense, considering the interesting array of styles I've seen used on signage around Ohio.

jjakucyk

Not technically uni signs I guess, but we have a lot of annoyingly sloppy signs around downtown Cincinnati that seem to be trying.  In this particular location there's proper US route signs, but the I-75 shield isn't cutout.  The I-471 shield hanging from the span wire isn't cutout either, but the I-71 shield right next to it is.  Arrrrgh! 

thenetwork

Actually, Columbus would not be the first in Ohio to use Uni-signs. 

Uni-signs have been used for over 20 years in Mahoning County (Youngstown) mostly by the county engineers. 

I don't have any pictures, but most of the ones I remember seeing are those approaching state/US routes. Reading top-to-bottom, the sign would say:

JCT
     <->

I also dare to say that to the north of Youngstown, uni-signs are rare, but used sparingly in Trumbull and Ashtabula Counties as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.