News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NJ 7 Bridge Connecting Jersey City - South Kearny

Started by SignBridge, February 18, 2017, 09:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignBridge

The replacement bridge has been under construction for what seems like several years now. It appears to be part of the Tonnelle Ave./Pulaski Skyway Interchange reconstruction. Does anyone have a current update on this project and why construction is taking so long?

Alps

There are four separate contracts involved in the Wittpenn Bridge reconstruction. I believe they're in contract 2 right now. Contract 3 will finish the approaches and allow them to open the bridge. Contract 4 is interchange work at the west end.

SignBridge

Thanks Alps. Do you know if the new bridge will also be a drawbridge like the old one, or is it high enough to be fixed span?

Also, I see going back through these posts that construction started circa March 2013. I still don't get why even with four contracts involved it should take at least five years to build such a small bridge project. Hell, the New Jersey Turnpike Authority built the two massive Passaic and Hackensack River Bridges in two years along with over a hundred miles of highway. That was before my time, but those must have been great days in public works projects. And BTW, it only took two years (1930-1932) to build the huge Pulaski Skyway too, with labor problems and all.

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on February 19, 2017, 07:37:08 PM
Thanks Alps. Do you know if the new bridge will also be a drawbridge like the old one, or is it high enough to be fixed span?

Also, I see going back through these posts that construction started circa March 2013. I still don't get why even with four contracts involved it should take at least five years to build such a small bridge project. Hell, the New Jersey Turnpike Authority built the two massive Passaic and Hackensack River Bridges in two years along with over a hundred miles of highway. That was before my time, but those must have been great days in public works projects. And BTW, it only took two years (1930-1932) to build the huge Pulaski Skyway too, with labor problems and all.
There's a lot tangled up there with the existing roadways being in place. Didn't have that with the other bridges. It will be a draw span, but with many fewer openings.

roadman65

I seen that the new Witpenn Bridge will be like the Route 88 lift span near Bricktown.  I believe its not being made with a high span, due to the lack of waterway vessels that are big enough to warrant frequent openings, so NJDOT is doing this.

I just hope the Fish House Road messy interchange is finally simplified in this new location.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SignBridge on February 19, 2017, 07:37:08 PM

Don't forget to include the speed at which the Empire State Building and Hoover Dam was built.  Always relevant stuff when comparing then to now.

Remind us again when they were building the Turnpike the various regulations they had to follow, such as EPA and OSHA, along with the need to build a highway while dealing with a very demanding driving public who doesn't want any inconvenience to their daily commute.

It was a great time for public works projects because the public was extremely accepting of them.  Then again, it was commonplace for a few people to die at each project; which today often times would cause a shutdown of the project and numerous changes to how the work will be performed.  The recent NJ Turnpike widening project actually did have a few deaths associated with it, which is extremely unusual in today's work environment.

SignBridge

Thanks for your perspective J&N. Sarcasm noted! LOL

roadman65

Things have indeed changed over the years for sure. It was discussed on a radio program how much things have changed even for a building like the WTC in NYC.  If it were any other country or us years ago we would have had the new tower built much sooner was talked upon.

Not to rock the boat, but as good a country we are we have many flaws now than ever before.  It is our evolution!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

I drove over the old Wittpenn Bridge a few weeks ago. I see a year later some progress has actually been made. The lift towers of the new bridge are now taking shape. Who knows? In another five years, maybe the bridge will actually be completed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.