Routes that run perpendicular to their implied direction where they intersect

Started by usends, November 19, 2009, 11:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

101's general orientation in the south bay gives rise to that - it's southeast by northwest (emphasis on east and west), so at the 280 junction, it too is askew.  

24 at 880 in the MacLaurin Maze: 880 is heading nearly east-west, while 24 is north-south.  I believe 980 (the senseless renumbering of the last mile or so of 24, though internally the route is still 24) is signed north-south, but historically 24 has always been an east-west route, even back when it was alternate US-40 coming in across Beckwourth Pass from Reno.

finally, CA-13 at 80/580 is heading south of west at its northern terminus, and no one has any idea what 80/580 is doing...
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 03, 2010, 03:12:57 AM
101's general orientation in the south bay gives rise to that - it's southeast by northwest (emphasis on east and west), so at the 280 junction, it too is askew. 

Yeah, 101 from about Redwood City to Route 85 doesn't go due south at all (and Route 85 follows suit as noted).

Quote from: agentsteel53

24 at 880 in the MacLaurin Maze: 880 is heading nearly east-west, while 24 is north-south.  I believe 980 (the senseless renumbering of the last mile or so of 24, though internally the route is still 24) is signed north-south, but historically 24 has always been an east-west route, even back when it was alternate US-40 coming in across Beckwourth Pass from Reno.

Didn't know the 880/980 junction had a name...but from what I recall reading at Cahighways.org, 980 and 24 are considered entirely separate routes (unlike say, what FHWA calls I-305 but CalTrans only acknowledges as US 50, and in segments Route 99 and Business 80).

As for Route 24...was it signed east-west on the segment that is now Route 160?  If so, it would have created one of the strangest sets of cardinal directions ever, between Sacramento and Woodland:  Route 24 EASTbound (going northwest) cosigned with Route 16 westbound!!!

US 6 is probably the historic winner for this in California, being signed east-west on today's I-110 (which means it was signed east-west for over 200+ miles from Nevada south!!!!). Strangely, after 1964, US 6 is now signed north-south in California for the rather short segment remaining, even though there is one "US 6 East - Provincetown, MA" sign in Bishop.

finally, CA-13 at 80/580 is heading south of west at its northern terminus, and no one has any idea what 80/580 is doing...

If Route 61 had been built on the East Bay shore, would Route 13 have intersected it going east-west?!
Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

Quote from: TheStranger on January 03, 2010, 03:22:24 AM

US 6 is probably the historic winner for this in California, being signed east-west on today's I-110 (which means it was signed east-west for over 200+ miles from Nevada south!!!!). Strangely, after 1964, US 6 is now signed north-south in California for the rather short segment remaining, even though there is one "US 6 East - Provincetown, MA" sign in Bishop.

at the 1950s mutual terminus of US-6 and US-91 in Long Beach (at the 15 freeway, the one that was later renumbered 7 and then 710), 91 was heading west (signed south), and US-6 was still signed west ... but heading due east!  US-101A was co-signed with US-6, signed south, and heading east as well.  
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

Another old California example, considering what you and I just mentioned about US 6:

Alternate US 40 between Davis and Oroville.  I know that today's Route 70 is signed north-south between East Nicolaus and Oroville, and Route 113 (which replaced US 40A from Davis to south of Yuba City) is entirely signed north-south.
Chris Sampang

TXtoNJ

Does the US 77 - US 177 wrong-way perpendicular concurrency near Ponca City, OK count?

TheStranger

TxtoNJ: Absolutely.

Another one just came to mind: the last segment of Florida State Road A1A, from Fernandina Beach west to US 1, which runs entirely east-west on what is mostly a very long north-south route.  In fact, at the northern terminus in Callahan, A1A is actually running southwest towards US 1!

Chris Sampang

joseph1723

Here's another one in Ontario: ON 403 at it's intersection with the QEW and the eastern intersection with ON 401

TheStranger

In Naselle, WA, US 101 northbound is running southeast when it meets the western terminus of Route 4, which in the eastbound direction mostly heads out south from there until Route 401.
Chris Sampang

shoptb1

Here's a picture of that fun section of road near Wytheville, VA

TheStranger

A couple more California examples:

- I've seen one photo of Interstate 5W being signed on what was then US 50 (and is now I-580) in the East Bay, and it was signed east-west despite 5W being ostensibly a north-south route.

- US 99 along today's I-10 between Los Angeles and Indio ran due east-west, despite being a north-south route.  Route 38 - an east-west route - hits its terminus at what was then US 99 (and is now just I-10) in Redlands going north-south!
Chris Sampang

mightyace

I forgot about this one.

In Danville, PA where PA 54 and US 11 intersect.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=danville+pa&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=49.043149,114.169922&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Danville,+Montour,+Pennsylvania&ll=40.963114,-76.613331&spn=0.046018,0.111494&z=14

US 11 is signed N-S but at the interection with PA 54 it is running WNW-ESE with South 11 going WNW!

PA 54 is signed E-W and is running NNE-SSW and West 54 is going NNE!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Coelacanth

OK, sorry to necro this old thread...

I-94 is signed EW but runs almost due NS through the north side of Minneapolis. It intersects CSAH 81 (formerly US 52 among other designations) which is signed NS but runs EW where it crosses I-94.

Brandon

As long as we're raising old threads from the dead, here's another example I'm surprised not to see here yet:
I-55 at I-90/94 in Chicago.  I-55 is east-west while I-90/94 are both north-south.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Hellfighter

M-46 is signed east-west, but runs North-South with US-131 for 16 miles.

Bickendan

Good necro.

I-5 in a number of locations: Runs east to west in downtown San Diego at CA 163.
Though it runs very much south-north from there, it has a long gradual east-west inclination from San Diego to Stockton.
North of Sacramento at CA 99 to CA 113 in Woodland it's due east to west again, then at a diagonal to I-505.

In Oregon, geography forces the east-west and west-east movements. Of note:
Central Point (OR 99) to Grants Pass (US 199 and even OR 99), east-west. There's even a small wrong-way dip along the Rogue River outside of Rogue River.
The curves near Myrtle Creek along the Umpqua River. A due east-west section hairpins around a hill to southwest-northeast and back.

Washington: Puget Sound forces the last perpendicular section (west-east) from Olympia (at US 101) to Tacoma (just east of WA 167), with a notable south-north segment from WA 512 to WA 16.

corco

QuoteWashington: Puget Sound forces the last perpendicular section (west-east) from Olympia (at US 101) to Tacoma (just east of WA 167), with a notable south-north segment from WA 512 to WA 16.

On that note, where I-5 intersects SR 167, I-5 is signed north south and SR 167 is signed north. I-5 heads east-west, and SR 167 actually heads SOUTHEAST to Puyallup (but is well signed as 167 North), before turning north on the Valley Freeway.

So there's a north south road running east-west that intersects a road signed as "north" but goes southeast,

Here's off I-5

and then the first reassurance shield towards Puyallup

brownpelican

Business U.S. 90 in New Orleans and the West Bank.

It splits from U.S. 90 near Westwego going the correct direction (east). In Gretna, the highway turns northeast, then north when you get to Gen. De Gaulle Drive and the Crescent City Connection toll plaza. One you get on the bridge, the highway goes west and goes across the Mississippi River (eastbound Bus. U.S. 90 is going west and westbound is going east).

After crossing the river, the highway turns northwest and ends at the Claiborne Avenue (U.S. 90)/I-10 interchange...still in the wrong way configuration.

[Removed unnecessary markup. -S.]

TheStranger

Going back to the original premise of this thread, saw an example of this phenomenon on Google Maps for Wilmington, North Carolina:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Wilmington,+NC&sll=34.289843,-77.855301&sspn=0.157144,0.276375&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Wilmington,+New+Hanover,+North+Carolina&ll=34.318416,-77.87251&spn=0.019778,0.034547&z=15

Interstate 40, an east-west route is going north-south...while US 17, a north-south route, is physically heading east-west!

Chris Sampang

dfilpus

Quote from: TheStranger on August 12, 2010, 07:40:37 PM
Going back to the original premise of this thread, saw an example of this phenomenon on Google Maps for Wilmington, North Carolina:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Wilmington,+NC&sll=34.289843,-77.855301&sspn=0.157144,0.276375&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Wilmington,+New+Hanover,+North+Carolina&ll=34.318416,-77.87251&spn=0.019778,0.034547&z=15

Interstate 40, an east-west route is going north-south...while US 17, a north-south route, is physically heading east-west!

Notice that US 17/I 140 passes over US 117 just west of the I 40 interchange. There is no interconnection between US 17 and its daughter route US 117.

TheStranger

Quote from: dfilpus on August 12, 2010, 08:56:11 PM

Notice that US 17/I 140 passes over US 117 just west of the I 40 interchange. There is no interconnection between US 17 and its daughter route US 117.

This has only been the case for a few years (as US 17 once ran on what's now its business route in Wilmington).  Is there a plan for a 17/140 interchange with 117?
Chris Sampang

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

dfilpus

Quote from: TheStranger on August 13, 2010, 02:17:12 AM
Quote from: dfilpus on August 12, 2010, 08:56:11 PM

This has only been the case for a few years (as US 17 once ran on what's now its business route in Wilmington).  Is there a plan for a 17/140 interchange with 117?

Not that I know of. A full interchange would be too close to I 40. There are no C/D lanes on the eastbound lanes for US 117 to interchange with.

Alps

Just had fun with PEI 16, which heads westbound both directions from the northeast tip of the island.  Same island, when PEI 4 northbound (heading due east) spawns PEI 18, PEI 18 westbound then proceeds to head due east as well!  18 ought to be a north-south route, given that it's a reverse "C".

yakra

Brings to mind the recently-extended ME112. This one harks back to the "negative angle" intersections the thread was OT-ing into earlier.
Or how about ME164? If ME89 were signed inside US1, that'd be a perpendicular jct. ME161 should be E-W IMNSHO - that would make for a perpendicular jct - but it's N-S instead, so it gets away with just a wrong-way`plex.
OOH! HA! ME228 is signed E-W, so that makes a perp. jct. with ME164!

Oh Caribou, where did we go so wrong?
If I ran th'zoo I would fix that numberin' right up, I teyyahwhatbub!
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

sandiaman

Your first example of this  ia an excellent choice:  Yuma,AZ.  The north south  highway  route  runs east to west (US 95)  and the  the eat -west route  (old US 80,  Bus I-8)  runs  north to south ( 4th St ).  It  looks like a swastika.
   On the SF  Peninsula,  all streets  runon a diagonal axis,  so when you believe you're heading east  you might  be actually  heading  north, as an example, CA 84  is signed EAST  but  one is actually  heading north  toward  the bay.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.