News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Routes that run perpendicular to their implied direction where they intersect

Started by usends, November 19, 2009, 11:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

Just noticed another one: US 67 is a north-south route, but in downtown Bettendorf IA it runs east-west along the State-Grant couplet... which is right where it intersects US 6, an east-west route, but at this point it runs north-south along I-74 (which, incidentally, is also signed east-west).  Even before the freeway was built, US 6 still ran north-south through here, along Kimberly Rd.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

pianocello

Quote from: usends on September 09, 2014, 02:41:07 PM
Just noticed another one: US 67 is a north-south route, but in downtown Bettendorf IA it runs east-west along the State-Grant couplet... which is right where it intersects US 6, an east-west route, but at this point it runs north-south along I-74 (which, incidentally, is also signed east-west).  Even before the freeway was built, US 6 still ran north-south through here, along Kimberly Rd.

Damn, I was going to use that one. Oh well, there are a couple of other examples in the Quad Cities, thanks to the Mississippi running east to west. I-280 is signed east-west, even in its 8-mile north-south stretch around the west side of Davenport. In the middle of that stretch, it intersects US-61/BUS US-61, which is signed N-S but runs E-W to loosely follow the River.

Also, on one side of the I-80 bridge in LeClaire, there is an interchange with US-67. The other side of the bridge has an interchange with IL-84, which is also a north-south route. The I-80 bridge isn't straight north-south, but it's pretty close. https://goo.gl/maps/j3Tc2
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Greybear

Another example of US 67 is in Northeast Texas.  US 67 is signed N-S, yet it runs in a generally E-W direction between Greenville and Texarkana.  From Dallas to Weaver, it is multiplexed with I-30.  After leaving I-30 at Exit 135, it basically parallels I-30 in a generally E-W direction towards Texarkana.

mhh

In Chesterfield, Michigan, I-94 intersects with M-3 and M-29. The northern and southern legs of the intersection are I-94, the west leg is M-3 and the east leg is M-29. I-94 is an east-west freeway that locally runs north-south, M-3 and M-29 are north-south routes that locally run east-west.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6747455,-82.8206673,2340m/data=!3m1!1e3

iowahighways

Quote from: pianocello on September 09, 2014, 09:20:13 PM

Damn, I was going to use that one. Oh well, there are a couple of other examples in the Quad Cities, thanks to the Mississippi running east to west. I-280 is signed east-west, even in its 8-mile north-south stretch around the west side of Davenport. In the middle of that stretch, it intersects US-61/BUS US-61, which is signed N-S but runs E-W to loosely follow the River.

Also, on one side of the I-80 bridge in LeClaire, there is an interchange with US-67. The other side of the bridge has an interchange with IL-84, which is also a north-south route. The I-80 bridge isn't straight north-south, but it's pretty close. https://goo.gl/maps/j3Tc2

Another Iowa example: west of Charles City, the east-west US 18 runs north-south along the Avenue of the Saints bypass at the interchange with the north-south IA 14, which runs east-west at that point. (Although I will add that US 18 is multiplexed with the north-south US 218 and IA 27.) And then in Charles City, US 18 and IA 14 meet again: eastbound US 18 runs north, then west to the junction with IA 14 before turning northeastward. Likewise, northbound IA 14 runs east, north, northeast, southeast, and then east again before ending at US 18. All of that is because of the Cedar River's northwest-southeast flow through Charles City. It's been like that since US 18 was rerouted along the entire bypass (as opposed to the portion north of IA 14 and then sharing part of IA 14) in 2006.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

sandiaman

On  I-25.going northbound towards Denver, as you get  to Santa Fe, I -25  takes a major jog in direction for about 20 miles  to go thru Glorieta Pass,  and  you are actually going southbound  even though  the signs still say northbound I- 25.

TheCatalyst31

It's really only half an example, but this happens at the southern end of the I-43/I-94 concurrency in Milwaukee. I-43 heads west and I-94 keeps going south all the way to Chicago. Making things even more interesting, the highway jogs east for a bit just "north" of the merge, so I-43 is still going east-west and I-94 is going the opposite direction of its signs.

WNYroadgeek

I-90 (signed E/W) runs N/S, and NY 400 (signed N/S) runs E/W when the two intersect in West Seneca (which also happens to be NY 400's northern terminus): http://goo.gl/maps/3rhQ4

NY 16 (signed N/S) runs E/W and US 20 (signed E/W) runs N/S when the two intersect in West Seneca: http://goo.gl/maps/l1TPS

NY 384 (signed N/S) runs E/W and NY 104 (signed E/W) runs N/S when the two intersect in Niagara Falls (which also happens to be NY 104's western terminus): http://goo.gl/maps/oSz1h

kurumi

So it's a sign goof (and might be a case of swapped direction plates), but: http://goo.gl/maps/u52Qm

Norwalk, CT: US 1 "north" is heading due east (93 deg heading if you're in an aircraft), and CT 53 "east" is heading north (16 deg).

(http://googlecompass.com/ lets you overlay a compass to eyeball the heading)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

DandyDan

Quote from: TheCatalyst31 on September 10, 2014, 08:40:36 PM
It's really only half an example, but this happens at the southern end of the I-43/I-94 concurrency in Milwaukee. I-43 heads west and I-94 keeps going south all the way to Chicago. Making things even more interesting, the highway jogs east for a bit just "north" of the merge, so I-43 is still going east-west and I-94 is going the opposite direction of its signs.
I-43 between Beloit and Milwaukee also meet US 12 and US 14, which are both essentially N-S highways when they intersect I-43 even though both are signed E-W.

Also in Wisconsin, US 12 intersects WI 13 in Wisconsin Dells, with US 12 E-W and WI 13 N-S, although they are perpendicular to their signed directions there.  West US 12 also takes West WI 16 (formerly US 16) north with it.  There's also the I-90 (and I-39) interchange with US 51 east of Stoughton, where North US 51 goes due west to Stoughton, while I-90 is N-S at that point.  Just looking at some of the highways in Wisconsin, with the random direction changes, it appears there might be more I'm missing.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

bassoon1986

I'm sure there are more in Louisiana with all of the highways that meander and follow a river down south, but here are 2:

LA 1 at LA 20 in Thibodaux. 1 runs east-west here and 20 runs north-south. The cardinal directions aren't signed at their intersection, just arrows.

Also US 61 at many intersections in Metairie (LA 3046, LA 3152, LA 3154), although some of those even numbered highways are labeled North or South.

Darkchylde

Another in Louisiana, though they overcross and only one movement is directly connected.

US 190 in Covington travels north-south getting into town from the east, though it's signed west-east. LA 21 is signed north-south, though it travels east-west where it meets US 190. It's not a true intersection, in that aside from the LA 21 North (traveling east)-US 190 East (traveling south) connection, all others are made through nearby Business US 190. But they are perpendicular where one overcrosses the other.

roadman65

In Hunter's Creek, FL you have E-W US 92 running N-S intersecting N-S FL 417 which runs E-W.

In South Carolina now you have US 52 which is currently signed E-W, but running N-S intersecting US 521 signed N-S which is running E-W at that junction. You even have NB US 521 with US 52 EB to your left and US 52 WB to your right in this situation which is total opposite of what is supposed to be of N-S to E-W.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

freebrickproductions

I'm not sure if this counts, but US 72 runs north/south but is signed east/west where it intersects Oakwood Avenue and Max Luther Drive in Huntsville, AL along the US 231/431/72 multiplex on Memorial Parkway.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Sam

NY 96 runs east/west for 30 miles between Victor and Waterloo, signed north/south. When we give directions we always use east and west.

US 89

Bumping this thread with US 30 and 89 at Montpelier, Idaho, which features the intersection of a N/S-running US 30 and an E/W-running US 89.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.