AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Georgia  (Read 404751 times)

Plutonic Panda

• Last Login: July 02, 2020, 04:02:13 PM
Re: Georgia
« Reply #1425 on: June 30, 2020, 04:15:42 PM »

Just found out that the 285/20 interchange flyover project in DeKalb county is not supposed to begin until 2022, and will take 3 years to complete. I was hoping that this would start sooner because that interchange starts the traffic backup on 285 SB at 230 in the afternoons. So no 285 traffic relief until the 400/285 interchange is completed and that's just a temporary band aid, IMO

every road project is a temporary band aid.
With this mentality then so is every other piece of infrastructure as it will eventually have to be replaced and/or upgraded in the future.

Tomahawkin

• Last Login: Today at 02:17:37 PM
« Reply #1426 on: June 30, 2020, 04:55:48 PM »

I agree because there are so many badly needed bridge/interchange improvements needed along IH 285, it might might be 10 years before traffic is feasible on that whole 60 mile perimeter. I only know of 5 bridges that have had major work done to them or rebuilt altogether. The Roswell Road Bridge is outdated by 25+ years IMO

Henry

• Last Login: Today at 02:42:57 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #1427 on: June 30, 2020, 09:48:43 PM »

I thought these type of signs with the exit numbers inside the panel were all replaced?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/50048359948/in/dateposted-public/

I thought the MUTCD requirements made GDOT replace the signs with external tabs aligned to the right.  I guess not then.

The replacement process started about 12 years ago, but isn't finished yet. These old-style signs are probably in the minority now, but by no means rare.
I always loved those signs, because they made GA unique compared to other states in that they were the only ones to use Series D, whereas others used Series E(M), and most recently, Clearview (which the Peach State won't be doing anytime soon, thank goodness).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

SSF

• Last Login: Today at 11:10:23 AM
« Reply #1428 on: July 01, 2020, 09:17:46 AM »

Macland Road widening from Powder Springs to Dallas is going to start next week with the usual clearing and grubbing and force account utility relocates. 

Slated to take 3 years according to the GDOT news release.

https://mailchi.mp/dot/state-route-360macland-rd-widening-and-reconstruction-project-to-begin-next-week-in-cobb-and-paulding-counties
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:22:23 AM by SSF »

Finrod

• Last Login: July 08, 2020, 04:10:10 PM
« Reply #1429 on: July 01, 2020, 10:53:27 PM »

I agree because there are so many badly needed bridge/interchange improvements needed along IH 285, it might might be 10 years before traffic is feasible on that whole 60 mile perimeter. I only know of 5 bridges that have had major work done to them or rebuilt altogether. The Roswell Road Bridge is outdated by 25+ years IMO

In recent years they've been replacing a lot of the bridges over I-85 from I-985 to South Carolina, and maybe south of Atlanta, but I don't drive that way often.  From what I understand it's part of 6-laning I-85 through Georgia.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 01:56:18 AM

amroad17

• A highway I know very well!

• Last Login: Today at 07:17:03 AM
« Reply #1431 on: Today at 06:41:23 AM »

This interchange has never had control cities on the signs--even when I-95 originally opened through there.  The first time I passed through that area was 1975.  The original sign had an EXIT tab without a number, which was the norm back then as I-95 was not completely finished in Georgia (from the Hardeeville, SC interchange to either US 80 or GA 21 was not opened as well as from US 25/US 341 in Brunswick to GA Conn 25 near Woodbine).  Plus that section was four lanes instead of the eight?!? (why?, it is just a bit odd having eight lanes there) that is there now.

I agree that Broadfield and Darien should be used NB and either Sterling or Anguilla could be used SB.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.