News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Snow...

Started by BigMattFromTexas, December 04, 2009, 11:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Stop being a baby Matt. :P

BigMattFromTexas

It's 15°and snowing.. Again.. I'm not used to this!
BigMatt

Henry

At least I'm glad I'm not living in Chicago anymore!  :) It looks like an Arctic ghost town out there.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mightyace

Quote from: BigMatt on February 03, 2011, 12:50:08 AM
Try over 20 consecutive days of 100° or more!

I don't think I done that, but I've certainly done 20 days of 90 or more with high humidity!

And, I'll take 20 days below freezing over 20 days over 90, anytime!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Michael in Philly

Quote from: mightyace on February 03, 2011, 10:12:56 AM
And, I'll take 20 days below freezing over 20 days over 90, anytime!

Not I.  I hate winter.  If it were June most of the year, with a couple of months of April or October thrown in so that we wouldn't take it for granted (and could enjoy foliage).  Wanna trade climates?
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

mightyace

^^^

Sure, I'll even trade addresses!

Scott5114

NWS Norman's forecast map for Saturday. Yeah, look at that. Warm front. Followed the next day by a cold front.

Excuse me for a moment.

KLFISD.GLJKWDFGKLSDFJGSDFLKGJSDFLKJGSDVLKBNDFLIUBXCVNLK B
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

florida

I didn't realize how bad this was until hearing a news report about El Paso, TX and Juarez, Mexico getting snow and having lows of 7 degrees. Everything seemed to be about Chicago because of Lakeshore Drive. It's amazing (to me) because when does all of Texas get forecasted to get either snow or a snow/mix?

You all are more than welcome to send that stuff down my way :D
So many roads...so little time.

mightyace

^^^

Be careful of what you wish for.  Now, you'll get a snowfall and the price of orange juice will double.

The Premier

Quote from: mightyace on February 03, 2011, 04:43:22 PM
^^^

Be careful of what you wish for.  Now, you'll get a snowfall and the price of orange juice will double.

Or even triple. :wow:
Alex P. Dent

Brandon

Speaking of snow, here's a few local images taken today.

Theodore St wb between Larkin Av (IL-7) and Gaylord Rd.  This normally four lanes.

Larkin Av (IL-7) and McDonough St.

Hammes Av sb between Glenwood Av and Jefferson St.

Piles of snow on Ingalls Av at Gael Dr.  The street blade is City of Joliet standard.

We wound up with over 18 inches between Tuesday and Wednesday.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

algorerhythms

Ugh. The university cancelled classes again for Friday even though most of the roads seem to be okay by now. This means the baboons in the apartment above mine will be extra-loud tonight since they don't have classes until Monday.

Oh, and the NWS is predicting snow again on Sunday and Wednesday. The baboons may never have class again.

Scott5114

Quote from: algorerhythms on February 03, 2011, 08:35:05 PM
Ugh. The university cancelled classes again for Friday even though most of the roads seem to be okay by now.

Over here on the east side they still haven't plowed most of the streets yet. My mom's truck can get around on the packed snow all right but it's doubtful that my PT Cruiser could even muster getting out of the driveway.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brandon

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 03, 2011, 09:03:38 PM
Quote from: algorerhythms on February 03, 2011, 08:35:05 PM
Ugh. The university cancelled classes again for Friday even though most of the roads seem to be okay by now.

Over here on the east side they still haven't plowed most of the streets yet. My mom's truck can get around on the packed snow all right but it's doubtful that my PT Cruiser could even muster getting out of the driveway.

I have a PT Cruiser, and it seems to get by fine in the snow.  I was going places Tuesday night other cars didn't dare go, following quite a few pickups and SUVs.  Even popped a curb to get around a stuck Econoline van.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

RJ145

It seems like the popular thing to do with all the snow is pile it up right on corners, making it next to impossible to merge into traffic without risking getting hit, since your entire front end has to be into the lane before you can see anything.

BigMattFromTexas

I feel like I'm about to die because of this stupid weather... I don't want to see snow ever again!! 21°... :/
BigMatt

J N Winkler

In Wichita we got about five inches.  We were expected to get about a quarter-inch of ice before the snow came, but we did not, so that was a mercy.  However, the snow fell with a lot of wind (near-blizzard conditions) so there was a lot of drifting and, as a consequence, a lot of cars and other relatively low-clearance vehicles getting stuck in unplowed side streets.  After getting stuck twice (the first time badly) at the north end of my street, and having to be helped out both times, I "paid it forward" and dug out the intersection myself.  (I don't think too many people saw me doing it, which is a good thing since I didn't want to be asked questions about where I was putting the snow.)

Temperatures were close to 40° F today, but were in the 0-10° F range with brutal wind chills while the snow was falling and for a day afterward, so the Wichita public schools have had three consecutive snow days.  This has generated much anger locally but the school district has defended the cancellations on the basis that buses were getting stuck or severely slowed down in side streets, thus raising the risk that children would have to wait half an hour or more in frigid wind (often with inadequate winter clothing) in near-darkness with no ability to let themselves back into their houses.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 04, 2011, 08:37:24 PM
(I don't think too many people saw me doing it, which is a good thing since I didn't want to be asked questions about where I was putting the snow.)

you have a major political enemy whose driveway mysteriously got 12 inches of snow, while everyone else got 5?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 04, 2011, 08:47:53 PMyou have a major political enemy whose driveway mysteriously got 12 inches of snow, while everyone else got 5?

It had more to do with salt.  Salt, in sufficient quantity, will kill ground cover, including the fescue and Bermuda grass which are the most popular lawn plants in my neighborhood.  Although Wichita doesn't salt side streets, significant amounts of salt and other deicing chemicals get tracked into subdivisions when cars turn off main roads.  I had decided to try to pile the snow in front of the curb face, but there was a lot of it, and not every shovelful would go where I aimed it, so I didn't want people taking down my name and exacting promises not to let so much as a single chunk of salty snow fall on their lawns.

Personally, I think political enemies need and deserve twelve full feet of snow.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Alps

You take politics way too seriously if you wish harm on people for believing something other than what you believe.

J N Winkler

Quote from: AlpsROADS on February 06, 2011, 08:34:52 AMYou take politics way too seriously if you wish harm on people for believing something other than what you believe.

That last paragraph in my previous post was actually (believe it or not) a joke, as was Jake's post preceding it.  To start with, actually dumping 12" of snow in someone's driveway is tortious, and 12' of snow would probably also qualify as criminal damage.

Agreed, it is possible to take politics too seriously--but what else can we do when life and liberty can be taken away as a consequence of political decisions?

BigMattFromTexas

Finally, it all melted. After 5 days, this is the longest time I've seen snow in my life. There's a 40% of snow, on tuesday.. Doubt it..
BigMatt

Dr Frankenstein

Surprise snow storm... Yesterday evening, most (if not all) of the roads in and around Montreal were buried under a good 6 inches of snow or more. Going over 50 mph was almost dangerous. A-30 through Saint-Constant was especially bad.

Brandon

Quote from: BigMatt on February 06, 2011, 03:17:32 PM
Finally, it all melted. After 5 days, this is the longest time I've seen snow in my life. There's a 40% of snow, on tuesday.. Doubt it..
BigMatt

Heh.  After 5 days, yep, we still have most of what fell Tuesday/Wednesday on the ground and picked up another inch or two today.

Still doesn't beat where I went to college (Houghton, MI) where the snow started in September my first year and went through May (1995-96).  Even snowed there on May 1st that year.  Measurable snow.

yanksfan6129

Here in NJ we've nearly had snowcover for however many consecutive days since the December 26th Boxing Day Blizzard.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.