News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Snow...

Started by BigMattFromTexas, December 04, 2009, 11:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael in Philly

RIP Dad 1924-2012.

kharvey10

I-70 in Central Missouri and I-44 from Tulsa to Joplin been reported closed due to white-out conditions from the storm

BigMattFromTexas

I'm pretty sure it's because the roads are completely frozen, and I saw a truck skid while making a turn real slow, so it's not really because of the snow, it's cause of the ice...
BigMatt

Brandon

Quote from: BigMatt on February 01, 2011, 11:04:37 AM
It snowed here!!! Like an inch and no school.. but it's supposed to get down to 9° tonight.

Nice pictures, but color me a bit unimpressed.  We've got a couple of legacy inches on the ground right now, and then it's starting to finally come down.  When all is done by 3pm tomorrow, we should have about 18-24 inches.  Odds are, schools will be closed tomorrow, but be open on Thursday.  Supposed to get down to -6F on Thursday morning.

I'm still not fazed.  After going to college in Houghton, MI, and seeing an average of over 200 inches of snow in a season, with my first year up there having 328 inches of snow (still not the record), I've seen more.  You just shovel and salt and move on.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kharvey10

I'm down here and got the freezing rain with 3/4 inch thick ice.  I'd rather deal with the 6 inches of sleet in the St. Louis area or the foot of snow in Central Missouri than the freezing rain.

MoDOT extended the I-70 closure from Sedalia to Wentzville for a distance of 130 miles

Revive 755

Not seeing any interstate closures in Illinois yet, but the state road condition website is reporting the Cumberland Road Rest Area on WB I-70 in Clark County and the Illinois Praririe Rest Area on SB I-57 (no county listing) are closed due to lack of power.

MDOTFanFB

Wow, we actually got a snow day tomorrow! Yay!

Brandon

We don't have too many road closures yet, but the ramp from the IB Skyway to the IB Ryan Express Lanes is closed.  All the malls around here closed early (by 5pm) as well.  Other than that, just slow going as accidents here and there.  Maybe we'll see LSD closed later on in the overnight hours.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

BigMattFromTexas

Late start tomorrow!!
BigMatt

PAHighways

Google Traffic does track these storms pretty well The Interstates turn Yellow
70 in MO 80 in Illinois are offically closed but most roads in the blizzard zone are impassable and based on listening to the scanners police are rescuing the stranded. The biggeset stranding maybe hundreds of cars trapped on Lake Shore Driveb

Brandon

After having gotten stuck on Weber Rd for an hour and a half, I got back home.  LSD is now closed. Parts of I-57 are closed.  I-80 west of Morris to Princeton is closed.  Check out Travel Midwest for all the problems around here.  It's a cluster, and then some!  :-o

There's no way the plows can keep up with this stuff.  Even with having gone to college in Houghton, and braving the Blizzard of Jan 1-3, 1999 going back up to college during it, this is the worst storm I've ever seen.

Only Jan 1979 was worse in my experience . I have been on Travel Midwest and www.lakecountypassage.com
There is a really wierd camera @ IL 137 /IL 21
It is easing up here to your west . The plows are out

Brandon

The plows are out, but all roads in Will and Lake Counties, IL are closed to travel.  Apparently Lake Co will ticket, Will Co does not.  Currently, and this is unprecedented AFAIK, there are several interstate closures:

I-80 from Morris to Princeton
I-88 from Rock Falls to the Quad Cities
I-74 from Peoria to Galesburg
I-39 - all but the tollway section
I-155 - all
I-57 south of I-80 (southern extent unknown)
I-55 from MLK Drive to LSD

They're still evacuating people from LSD, even at a quarter to six in the morning.  LSD, of course, is still closed (entire extend from 57th to Hollywood).

yanksfan6129

Here in the northeast, specifically Northern New Jersey, we've had today and yesterday off from school.

1. Yesterday we got hit with about 4" of snow and some ice...according to my dad, who drove all over the place yesterday, it was bad and there were tons of accidents.

2. Today we got .5"+ of ice.

It's been a hell of a winter.

agentsteel53

I got my car stuck in the mountains and had to hike 19 miles over a 7300 foot pass to get help.

in a snowstorm.

uphill both ways.

wearing nothing but a diaper.

with wolves chasing me.

and bears gnawing at my flesh.

I died several times.

(actually, "in a snowstorm" is the last factual statement of this post!)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

triplemultiplex

Woo, that was fun!  Got about a foot out of the Groundhog's Eve Blizzard in Milwaukee.  That's on top of 5-6 in from the 48 hours before the blizzard.  Checked out the lakefront both last night and this morning; that was awesome.

As the waves hit the breakwater, they'd reflect off and run into other waves coming in and shoot up in the air 20+ feet.  The water was choked with rounded ice chunks ranging from the size of a baseball to the size of sofa.  As the waves smacked the ice around, the chunks would cascade around like so many boulders.
Hope people can dig their cars out before the big chill tonight or else they'll be stuck in a glacier.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

At noon those same Illinois roads are listed as closed The Chicago area cameras are showing empty roads.

As for father downstate St Louis Main roads look cleared but empty. Peoria is snow covered and empty.

US 67 and US 24 in western Illinois are open -sort of with one bad  lane each.

City of Monmouth has plowed all its streets. Sun is out in western Illinois Blizzard still underway in Northeast.

Quincy-Admas county expects winds later and that will make east west rural roads impassable again

Brandon

Right now, only Lake (IL) County is preventing anyone from traveling.  The ban here in Will County is gone, and many main roads are passable.  However, some closures still remain such as Weber Rd between Renwick and Airport Roads for a downed power line.  Most streets in town here are plowed enough to be passable.  They had all 61 trucks out last night and this morning, and they used several private snowplows to help clear the snow.  The big question now is where to put it.

Truvelo

Quote from: PAHighways on February 01, 2011, 10:15:29 PM
PennDOT Reducing Speed Limit on all Pennsylvania Interstates, Expressways

Is the 45mph limit legally enforceable? If so are they going to the effort of deploying officers to radar traffic or are the conditions so bad that achieving 45mph will be optimistic?
Speed limits limit life

mightyace

Quote from: Truvelo on February 02, 2011, 03:09:43 PM
Is the 45mph limit legally enforceable?

Probably.  If nothing else, you can be cited for "driving too fast for conditions."
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

kharvey10

the speed limit on 270/255 in Missouri during the morning rush was set at 40 MPH today, but there was tons of accidents and the highway had to be closed briefly at times to allow salt trucks to do their jobs.

PAHighways

Quote from: Truvelo on February 02, 2011, 03:09:43 PMIs the 45mph limit legally enforceable?

Yes

Quote from: Truvelo on February 02, 2011, 03:09:43 PMIf so are they going to the effort of deploying officers to radar traffic or are the conditions so bad that achieving 45mph will be optimistic?

I doubt speed traps went up along the roadways, but if a cop paced you doing 50, he could pull you over.  However, with the rain/ice/snow/wind that came through, getting up to 45 was optimistic especially going through the mountains.

Duke87

I spent 45 minutes releasing my car from an icy prison this morning. Scrape scrape scrape, dig dig dig.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

BigMattFromTexas

This is the longest lasting snow I've experienced in my life! (two days). It's about 17° outside now, the snow is rock hard, pointless.. We had some bad ice yesterday (2-1-11). We had a delayed school day. I hate this weather so much.. Give me my 100° weather back!! I wore shorts today, in 12° weather. The low tonight is 8°F. Crazy, for West Texas.

But I guess I can say to y'all that y'alls "hot" weather is nothing.. Try over 20 consecutive days of 100° or more!
BigMatt

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.