AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: I-95/I-64/I-195 interchange; lane drop on I-95 North  (Read 917 times)

Strider

• Last Login: Today at 03:55:29 AM
I-95/I-64/I-195 interchange; lane drop on I-95 North
« on: July 17, 2017, 10:34:17 PM »

Hello,

When I drove on I-95 on way to New York for the weekend, I drove through Richmond and there was something that really bothered me. At the I-95/I-64/I-195 interchange where I-64 splits from I-95, the through route says 3 lanes to continue on I-95 north to Washington, but right before the ramp merge from I-64 East/I-195 North, the through lanes are reduced to 2 LANES??? The ramp that merged forms the third lane though, but in the past...there wasn't a lane drop in that area.

Is there any reason why it was reconfigured? I asked because it caused some backups on I-95 North in that area last Friday.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 07:13:52 AM
Re: I-95/I-64/I-195 interchange; lane drop on I-95 North
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 11:27:38 PM »

Hello,
When I drove on I-95 on way to New York for the weekend, I drove through Richmond and there was something that really bothered me. At the I-95/I-64/I-195 interchange where I-64 splits from I-95, the through route says 3 lanes to continue on I-95 north to Washington, but right before the ramp merge from I-64 East/I-195 North, the through lanes are reduced to 2 LANES??? The ramp that merged forms the third lane though, but in the past...there wasn't a lane drop in that area.
Is there any reason why it was reconfigured? I asked because it caused some backups on I-95 North in that area last Friday.

There is a large reduction in traffic on NB I-95 between the WB I-64 offramp and the EB I-64 onramp.  The lane drop was painted about a month ago to alleviate major backups on the EB I-64 onramp and the NB I-195 onramp.  The pre-existing acceleration lane is not very long and right after it there is a local offramp.

What sort of backup?  I hadn't seen one yet.

This is an interim measure, as there have been studies as to how to upgrade the Bryan Park Interchange (I-95/I-64/I-195).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:30:55 PM by Beltway »
Scott M. Savage
-- Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.