AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: UDOT wants to make US 89 a freeway from I-15 to I-84  (Read 3163 times)

andy3175

• Last Login: October 18, 2018, 12:15:22 AM
    • AARoads
Re: UDOT wants to make US 89 a freeway from I-15 to I-84
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2018, 12:13:00 AM »

http://kutv.com/news/local/utah-drivers-will-soon-have-a-new-freeway-to-drive-on-but-not-everyone-is-happy-about-it

United States Highway 89 in Davis and Weber counties is approved to become a full freeway but faces possible legal action from citizens..

Utah Department of Transportation made the decision because it said with growth, it is needed to reduce possible travel delays. But a group of residents is against the decision and may take legal action.

“I will be hugely affected by the project,” Glade McCombs, who lives three doors down from US 89 in Fruit Heights said. “That frontage road going right past my house will carry an awful lot of traffic getting onto 89.”

He's also part of ReVu89, a grass-roots campaign against UDOT's wishes to transform US 89 into a full freeway. McCombs said the group has multiple concerns including decreasing property values, noise, and privacy concerns with the flyovers.

“Once they elevate the freeway it will be at the height of a two-story house and so a lot of the residents who live along 89 will have cars looking in their second-story bedroom windows,” he said.

Tuesday, UDOT gave its final approval for the project and will be moving forward with its plans to widen US 89 from four lanes to six, and convert it into a freeway between Shepard Lane in Farmington and Interstate 84 in South Weber.

“By and large it's driving their cars is what people want to do so that spurs us to look for us to provide transportation solutions that will help them get to their destination,” UDOT's Vic Saunders said.

All traffic lights will be changed to freeway on and off ramps. Final plans will take out 22 structures, one business, a gas station which is already closed, one municipal water tank, and 20 homes, but Saunders said UDOT has been ready for this and UDOT already owns most of those homes.

“Over the years UDOT has acquired many of the properties that were going to be impacted by this future roadway.”

UDOT said it will use noise dampening pavements to try to bring down highway noise based on citizens requests. But McCombs said that’s just a band-aid on a hemorrhage, speaking as a resident and not a board member for the ReVu89.

“We are just concerned that they are going to take our nice little community and turn our houses which now are very quiet and serene and enjoyable and turn those into a noisy interchange or frontage road,” he said.

McCombs said he understands there are problems with 89.

“Something has to happen to fix 89, the traffic flow is congested,” McCombs said. He just thinks it should happen in phases, and he doesn’t want to see the flyovers at all. “If they depress the freeway and just have the interchange going direction over 89 it would have a huge less impact by doing the elevated freeways in those interchanges."

ReVu89 has been fighting this proposal and they are not done yet.

“We have contacted an attorney, they think there has been some failure from the viewpoint of planning and UDOT’s perspective planning and moving this thing forward and there's some concerns,” McCombs said.

UDOT said without the project, congestion would increase by 20 to 35 percent on the corridor by 2040, creating peak travel times of one hour from Shepard Lane to I-84. With planned improvements, the same trip is projected to take nine to 10 minutes.

“We have some places that at nighttime traffic doesn't move very quickly. We are talking 10 mph in some places. What we want to do is speed that traffic up get people to where they want to go in a reasonable amount of time. If we don't build this project we won't we be able to see that,” Saunders said.

Construction on the project is set to start in spring of next year and is expected to be finished by 2021.

“We want to help drivers and motorists get to their final destinations in a reasonable amount of time that will allow them to be with their families and the things they want to do,” Saunders said.

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Last Login: Today at 11:09:08 AM
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2018, 08:10:39 PM »

The Final SES (State Environmental Study) for the US-89 freeway has been completed. The study can be read here. Also, here is a new interactive map detailing the project plans.
Interstate clinches: 14, 82, 215 (UT), 225, 345, 444, 575
US clinches: 491, 550

Flickr

mgk920

• Last Login: Today at 10:48:53 AM
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2018, 08:28:49 PM »

The Final SES (State Environmental Study) for the US-89 freeway has been completed. The study can be read here. Also, here is a new interactive map detailing the project plans.

What's the potential of the I-84 interchange someday also being upgraded to a full proper free-flowing freeway-freeway connection?

Mike

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2018, 01:11:26 AM »

What's the potential of the I-84 interchange someday also being upgraded to a full proper free-flowing freeway-freeway connection?

Mike

Upgrading that interchange to a freeway-system interchange is listed in the area’s RTP. However, it is a phase 3 project, which is the time period 2031-2040.

The sad thing is that I found an EIS from 1996 which showed a plan to convert that interchange to a full cloverleaf. Obviously that never happened, and a full cloverleaf is looking unlikely at this point due to the development to the NE and a large gravel pit to the SE.

Flickr

i-215

• Last Login: October 03, 2018, 02:06:49 AM
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2018, 03:32:33 PM »

Mike

Yes, it's in the RTP.  Utah won't replace it until traffic volumes "break" it functionally.  Then you'll see it get bumped up to a 3-year timeframe.

If it doesn't break, it could remain in current form for a loooooooooong time.

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2018, 08:21:55 PM »

Everyone expected it, but now it's official: the ReVU89 group mentioned above has filed a lawsuit.

Link to article in KSL: Residents file lawsuit against US-89 expansion

The lawsuit says UDOT didn’t follow procedure while studying the potential environmental impacts of the project.

“UDOT impermissibly constrained and restricted the study area for this project to avoid the full review of all regional impacts,” the complaint reads.

Because the widening project alters interstate highways and connections to federal interstates, the lawsuit argues that UDOT needed a rigorous Environmental Impact Statement instead of just a State Environmental Study.

Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.