News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-84 CT Waterbury diagrammed in MUTCD 2009

Started by Mergingtraffic, December 18, 2009, 10:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

I found it interesting that the I-84 WB split with CT-72 was diagrammed in the MUTCD 2009 manual.  However, the sign doesn't yet exist and CT (so far) doesn't stripe the roads the way it's in the manual.  I wonder if it will be in the future?

http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/pdfs/2009/part2e.pdf  (Look at page 15)

Alsoon a side note: I don't like the upward pointing arrows.  I like the downward facing arrows better .  Too bad
Are the downward facing arrows being phased out!??!?!
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

kurumi

I'm surprised the authors didn't go with I-47, US 88, Anytown, etc. as in later examples. The 84/72 interchange in real life differs in many ways from the illustration:

• There are 6 WB lanes leading to the split, not 5
  • There is no option lane (the main feature being illustrated)
  • The exit number is 33, not 49
  • The state route marker is square, not circular

I don't mind the upward-pointing pull-through arrows (in fact, I prefer upward over downward when they are slanted), but the arrows shown are IMO too long.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

froggie

Given the mentioned presence of I-47, US 88, Anytown, etc etc, I would suggest they were going more for visual examples rather than real world examples...

agentsteel53

I wonder what AASHO's objection is to the number 47.  It is the only two-digit route number that is neither a US nor an interstate highway.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: kurumi on December 18, 2009, 01:22:51 PM
I'm surprised the authors didn't go with I-47, US 88, Anytown, etc. as in later examples. The 84/72 interchange in real life differs in many ways from the illustration:

• There are 6 WB lanes leading to the split, not 5
  • There is no option lane (the main feature being illustrated)
  • The exit number is 33, not 49
  • The state route marker is square, not circular

I don't mind the upward-pointing pull-through arrows (in fact, I prefer upward over downward when they are slanted), but the arrows shown are IMO too long.

Yes, the westbound interchange is quite wide.  It's cool driving through.  However, when the DOT widened the EB interchange, I wonder why they didn't take out the left-exits and entrances!?!
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Duke87

The exit number is 33, not 49

It would be 49 (well... 49A) if Connecticut switched to milepost numbering. ;-)
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

J N Winkler

Quote from: doofy103 on December 18, 2009, 10:58:02 AM
Are the downward facing arrows being phased out!??!?!

No, but the rules governing their use have changed.  Chief among the changes is a new requirement that multiple downward-pointing arrows cannot be used to refer to a single lane.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jon daly

Quote from: Duke87 on December 18, 2009, 11:24:33 PM
The exit number is 33, not 49

It would be 49 (well... 49A) if Connecticut switched to milepost numbering. ;-)

I kind of hope they don't.  For years, I'd refer to exits by the crossroad (eg the 72 west exit) and I finally learned the numbers this century.  I'd rather not have to relearn them.  (and what if the metric system ever gets adopted?  Ooh, boy.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.