News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Beaumont Texas: Road Damage?

Started by US71, October 25, 2017, 09:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

I have to go to Beaumont Texas in a couple weeks. How bad are the roads down that way after the hurricane?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

nguyenhm16

That's a good question. Not being from the area first place I'd ask is the Beaumont subreddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/Beaumont/).

gp248

I went there a couple of weeks ago. Strangely, there seemed to be almost no damage done to anything.

longhorn

Quote from: gp248 on October 31, 2017, 08:44:08 PM
I went there a couple of weeks ago. Strangely, there seemed to be almost no damage done to anything.

Its amazing to me that flooded I-10 portion near Winnie still have the middle concrete barrier  is still in place. I would have thought the rushing water would have moved them.

Jardine

I'd like to think Interstate Iowa 680 from the 2011 Missouri River Flood would be the gold standard by which all other flood damaged hiways would be referenced.

mvak36

Quote from: Jardine on November 01, 2017, 09:45:03 AM
I'd like to think Interstate Iowa 680 from the 2011 Missouri River Flood would be the gold standard by which all other flood damaged hiways would be referenced.

What was more amazing was how fast they rebuilt that. IIRC, there were some incentives tied to finishing early. Throw enough money at stuff I suppose.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Jardine

I wouldn't wish that much hiway damage on any area.

When it was first on the news I almost cried,  it was just totally destroyed.  And the early estimates for fixing it went out to almost a year.  PCI did very, very well in fixing it in 33 days.  They pulverized the broken up pavement and used it as a base material to replace what was washed away and to support the new pavement.

It's like 6 years later and it's holding up quite well.

Hope Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico don't have hiway damage like that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.