AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Poll

Which eastern terminus of I-70 looks the best

Current (I-695 in Woodlawn)
- 16 (28.6%)
Former (Park and Ride near Baltimore)
- 3 (5.4%)
Planned (I-95 in Baltimore)
- 37 (66.1%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: East End of I-70  (Read 3978 times)

froggie

• Last Login: September 17, 2019, 08:07:59 PM
    • Froggie's Place
Re: East End of I-70
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2019, 07:21:38 AM »

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but another way to free up some route numbers and decrease driver confusion would be to send I-95 thru DC via 395/695/DC295/BW Parkway (obviously some relatively minor modifications considerable reconstruction would be required to DC 295 between East Capitol and 50.

FTFY.  In particular, the interchange at Braddock would effectively have to be blown up and redone from the sub-ground up at a level comparable to what was done on the 11th St Bridge project.

The topside of the Beltway west of I-95 is likely a reason (and a good one) to keep thru traffic following the eastern side, but theoretically, either way works depending on traffic.

Both that and the Legion Bridge.  The Beltway through MoCo bogs down considerably more often (and for longer periods) than through PGC.

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 12:32:00 AM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2019, 11:08:07 PM »

Let's move back into nonfiction, plz

theroadwayone

• Last Login: Today at 12:45:05 AM
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2019, 12:45:44 AM »

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but another way to free up some route numbers and decrease driver confusion would be to send I-95 thru DC via 395/695/DC295/BW Parkway (obviously some relatively minor modifications considerable reconstruction would be required to DC 295 between East Capitol and 50.

That was the original plan.

froggie

• Last Login: September 17, 2019, 08:07:59 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2019, 12:00:34 PM »

^ No it wasn't.  The "original plan" was for I-95 to follow the "Northeast Freeway", basically extending the 3rd St tunnel parallel to New York Ave to near today's Amtrak yards, then north along the B&O corridor (today's CSX tracks and Metrorail Red Line) to at least Fort Totten.  There were two options going northeastward from Fort Totten to the I-95/Beltway interchange.

Due to opposition from the Northeast Freeway plan (especially in Takoma Park), an alternative was considered that would have utilized the then-proposed "New York Industrial Freeway" (basically parallel to New York Ave all the way to the BW Pkwy), then turn north along an upgrade of the BW Pkwy to the Beltway.  But this was also dropped.

At no point was I-95 ever proposed or considered along what is now DC 295.

DJStephens

• Last Login: September 15, 2019, 01:11:39 PM
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2019, 01:14:23 AM »

Considering how deep 95 penetrated Washington, it was a major blunder it was not finished.  Obviously it should have been trenched, and or cut and covered as much as possible.   

famartin

• Last Login: September 17, 2019, 11:56:25 PM
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2019, 01:33:42 AM »

Considering how deep 95 penetrated Washington, it was a major blunder it was not finished.  Obviously it should have been trenched, and or cut and covered as much as possible.

While I think 95 could have and should have been completed, the ultimate design they were going to follow was going to be grossly underpowered, in the end. At least as far as a mainline 2-di interstate.  Philly and Baltimore, for all their faults, at least built I-95 correctly in that they are 3-4 lanes with good geometry throughout.  Imagine I-95 snaking through DC going from the SW Freeway into the 3rd Street Tunnel, the way I-395 does now!  It probably wouldn't have worked well. 

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 12:28:17 AM
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2019, 12:13:58 AM »

While I think 95 could have and should have been completed, the ultimate design they were going to follow was going to be grossly underpowered, in the end. At least as far as a mainline 2-di interstate.  Philly and Baltimore, for all their faults, at least built I-95 correctly in that they are 3-4 lanes with good geometry throughout.  Imagine I-95 snaking through DC going from the SW Freeway into the 3rd Street Tunnel, the way I-395 does now!  It probably wouldn't have worked well. 

I-95 in D.C. would have effectively been at least 4 lanes each way.

Those 2 lane ramps would have been augmented by the whole Inner Loop concept, which would have included a I-295 east loop providing additional capacity to the I-95 route.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com
On the Plains of Hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait, and waiting died.

ixnay

• Last Login: Today at 08:28:13 AM
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2019, 11:13:11 AM »

I-95 in D.C. would have effectively been at least 4 lanes each way.

Those 2 lane ramps would have been augmented by the whole Inner Loop concept, which would have included a I-295 east loop providing additional capacity to the I-95 route.

Overturning rigs at the 3rdStTun//SE/SWFwy connection would've been a fortnightly event.

ixnay

ixnay

• Last Login: Today at 08:28:13 AM
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2019, 05:07:30 PM »

[P]lease stop bringing up decommissioning 695 around Baltimore, as that is a pet peeve of mine and others on this forum.

Probably a pet peeve of (the recently retired from WTOP) Bob Marbourg too, if he vists this site, who sometimes called the Baltimore Beltway "the real 695". 

If there is a road numbering that says "Baltimore", it's Interstate 695 as applied to that city's beltway.  IMO.

ixnay

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: September 17, 2019, 10:13:00 PM
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2019, 10:04:24 PM »

[P]lease stop bringing up decommissioning 695 around Baltimore, as that is a pet peeve of mine and others on this forum.

Probably a pet peeve of (the recently retired from WTOP) Bob Marbourg too, if he vists this site, who sometimes called the Baltimore Beltway "the real 695". 

If there is a road numbering that says "Baltimore", it's Interstate 695 as applied to that city's beltway.  IMO.

I agree.  Maryland's I-695 is a real Beltway, and is easily the longest (by far) of the I-695's at about 51 centerline miles.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 12:28:17 AM
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2019, 11:29:28 PM »

Maryland's I-695 is a real Beltway, and is easily the longest (by far) of the I-695's at about 51 centerline miles.
Just three --

Interstate 695 (District of Columbia), a partially built connector in Washington, D.C.
Interstate 695 (Maryland), a beltway around Baltimore, Maryland
Interstate 695 (New York), a short connector in Bronx County, New York
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com
On the Plains of Hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait, and waiting died.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.