News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Worst Widen/Rebuild/Repave Jobs by DOTs

Started by cl94, January 29, 2018, 01:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

From something that was mentioned in the "worst maintained Interstate" thread, I'm gonna start a new thread: the worst reconstruction/repaving projects performed by DOTs. By "worst", I mean over capacity not long after, miserably maintained/constructed, etc.

I'll start with one from Buffalo: NY 952T (Sweet Home Road) near the UB North Campus. Concrete got an overlay in Fall 2014, was full of potholes and WORSE than pre-overlay within 6 months. This is less than a year after the overlay, note the patches.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Brandon

Interstate 55 between Weber Road (Exit 263) and Interstate 80 (Exit 250).  IDOT was dragged kicking and screaming into this widening project and did not want to do it, even though the traffic counts had warranted the widening for about 15 years.  IDOT did as little as they could to "re-engineer" the freeway for six lanes (up from four lanes and a grassy median).  IDOT added a concrete barrier and a very narrow left shoulder to install the third lane in each direction.  In addition, the pavement (laid down in 2007-8) is already falling apart.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

webny99

In a similar vein, a thread I started:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=20283.msg2227232#msg2227232

You've better expressed what I had in mind, though, so I think this thread has more potential.

Brian556

When I worked for TxDOT, they had us repave a 9-mile section of FM 2449 with a road grader instead of a lay-down machine. It was, as a co-worker stated, "rough as a corn cob". A year or two later, they had a contractor redo it the right way.

tradephoric

MDOT is widening an 18 mile stretch of I-75 between 8 Mile & South Boulevard in Oakland County.  They started it in 2016 and it was originally planned to be completed by 2034.  Yes... it was originally scheduled to take about 18 years to widen 18 miles.  Using a different funding mechanism, MDOT is now accelerating the project and say it may be done by as early as 2020.  To me it's crazy it was originally planned to take so long to complete.

inkyatari

Quote from: Brandon on January 29, 2018, 01:53:49 PM
Interstate 55 between Weber Road (Exit 263) and Interstate 80 (Exit 250).  IDOT was dragged kicking and screaming into this widening project and did not want to do it, even though the traffic counts had warranted the widening for about 15 years.  IDOT did as little as they could to "re-engineer" the freeway for six lanes (up from four lanes and a grassy median).  IDOT added a concrete barrier and a very narrow left shoulder to install the third lane in each direction.  In addition, the pavement (laid down in 2007-8) is already falling apart.

I drive it every day, and it's worse than Brandon makes it sound to be. Within two years of the widening, the pavement actually started sliding off the highway.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

MCRoads

Quote from: inkyatari on January 29, 2018, 02:40:23 PM

I drive it every day, and it's worse than Brandon makes it sound to be. Within two years of the widening, the pavement actually started sliding off the highway.

Wow, I thought ODOT had a bad rep for repaving...

Speaking of long time to completion estimates, the I-44/I-235 interchange is going to be done in... the next 20 years. That is actually what ODOT said. I know Caltrans could do it in 4 years, and it would probably be better than what ODOT who'll end up doing...
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

RobbieL2415

Quote from: MCRoads on January 29, 2018, 02:52:39 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on January 29, 2018, 02:40:23 PM

Wow, I thought ODOT had a bad rep for repaving...

Speaking of long time to completion estimates, the I-44/I-235 interchange is going to be done in... the next 20 years. That is actually what ODOT said. I know Caltrans could do it in 4 years, and it would probably be better than what ODOT who'll end up doing...
Come and see how CONNDOT partially completes a resurfacing project and leave uneven pavement layers on the shoulders and off-ramps.

cl94

Another NYSDOT Region 5 blunder is the US 219 expressway extension. Thing opened in Fall 2010. By the time GSV went through the following summer, they already were doing patches. NYSDOT has done a ton more patchwork since then. Road is 7 years old and they're already doing major crack sealing and large patches.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Hurricane Rex

This will dictate my answer: Can the worst project be canceled or does it have to be one built?
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

webny99

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 29, 2018, 03:48:49 PM
This will dictate my answer: Can the worst project be canceled or does it have to be one built?

If it's cancelled, then it's fictional territory. Because we have no evidence if it was a success or not, it doesn't make sense to post about it here.
Up to the OP (obviously), but that's my two cents.

cl94

Must be built.

Revive 755

I'll nominate the portion of the US 40 rebuild in St. Louis between I-170 and Hampton.  Westbound mainline gets horribly congested where the fourth through lane drops at Skinker, even outside of peak hours.  The interchange at Hanley also needs to have more capacity.

Beltway

Quote from: cl94 on January 29, 2018, 05:28:25 PM
Must be built.

What if it is proposed but very close to actual construction?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

kj3400

For Baltimore, it's gotta be hands down the (still) ongoing attempt to fill in all the potholes on the Hanover Street Bridge (MD 2). They've been working on that bridge for years and it's gotten no better. In fact they were working on it today squeezing northbound traffic into one lane.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

jakeroot

Quote from: Beltway on January 29, 2018, 11:15:51 PM

Must be built.

How could it qualify as "worst [of]" if it never happened?

Beltway

Quote from: jakeroot on January 30, 2018, 03:29:44 AM
Must be built.

<<< By "worst", I mean over capacity not long after, miserably maintained/constructed, etc. >>>

I guarantee that my example will be massively over capacity upon opening.  It will also cost in the billions.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

ET21

Get ready for the Cumberland/Kennedy expansion to possibly take top prize if they don't resurface it once the major stuff is completed
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

webny99

Quote from: Beltway on January 30, 2018, 07:47:17 AM
Must be built.

<<< By "worst", I mean over capacity not long after, miserably maintained/constructed, etc. >>>

I guarantee that my example will be massively over capacity upon opening.  It will also cost in the billions.

Let me guess: the I-81 viaduct in Syracuse  :pan:

roadman

Quoteit was originally scheduled to take about 18 years to widen 18 miles.

Design for the Randolph to Wellesley I-93/I-95 "Add a lane" project, construction of which is just being completed, began in 1974.  Over 44 years to widen 22 miles.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

Must be built.

In that case, then still no.  In fact, there's some projects that are known there will still be congestion after the work is done, but the length and size of that congestion is reduced.  Still, bridge decks are replaced, sight lines are improved, sound walls are built, lighting and signage is better, etc. It's not a 'worst' job...it's dealing with the constraints of the area. 

Michael

Around 2004 or so, NYSDOT repaved two tire tracks in each direction on NY 77 between the Thruway and Darien Lake.  It was the laziest repaving I've ever seen.  I remember thinking "What about motorcycles?" when I saw it.

cl94

The intent of the topic was stuff that has been constructed and opened. Anything that never opened is off-topic and discussion of such belongs in Fictional Highways.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: Brian556 on January 29, 2018, 02:10:05 PM
When I worked for TxDOT, they had us repave a 9-mile section of FM 2449 with a road grader instead of a lay-down machine. It was, as a co-worker stated, "rough as a corn cob". A year or two later, they had a contractor redo it the right way.

North Texas half-ass chip seals are a special kind of bad.

Beltway

Quote from: webny99 on January 30, 2018, 08:47:05 AM
Must be built.

Let me guess: the I-81 viaduct in Syracuse  :pan:

Not that one, it is not "very close to actual construction".

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.