News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Does your state use extruded gore signs? or flat sheet metal gore signs?

Started by AMLNet49, June 02, 2018, 05:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AMLNet49

I have multiple home states so my answer is "yes" .  Lol sorry if that's a copout

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

webny99

... and which do you prefer?

New York uses incremental panels, which are the way forward, obviously  ;-)

machias

Quote from: webny99 on June 02, 2018, 08:27:21 PM
... and which do you prefer?

New York uses extruded panels, which are the way forward, obviously  ;-)

Where does New York use extruded panels? They use incremental panels on Z-bars.

MNHighwayMan

For the most part Minnesota uses sheet metal exit gore signs, which look like this (although this one was modified with an orange-out arrow because the exit was closed):

I'm not sure if higher-volume roads (like in the Twin Cities) use larger signs that may or may not use sheet metal.

I've seen both in Iowa, depending on when and where. There's a new-ish one on I-235 that I know is made of sheet metal, but some of older ones may use the extruded metal.

hbelkins

Kentucky uses both. Most existing signs are extruded panel, but I've noticed that new installations (totally new signage, and replacement of knocked-down signs) are flat-panel with rounded corners.

Anything installed by one of the districts and made in the district's sign shop is flat-panel. These are often installed and intended to be temporary replacements until a new contractor sign can be installed, but they often end up being permanent.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 89

I don’t think you can find a single extruded panel sign in Utah. Anything put up after the mid-2000s is going to be flat sheet metal, and a lot of signs from before then are actually wood.

I’ve always liked the look of extruded panel signs. I know Idaho uses them, and I think Oklahoma does too.

roadfro

Nevada's exit gore signs are usually flat sheet metal (Nevada does not use extruded signs).

IMO, extruded exit gore signs seem a bit heavy duty for something that has a high likelihood of getting struck by errant drivers...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

webny99

Quote from: upstatenyroads on June 02, 2018, 08:59:53 PM
Quote from: webny99 on June 02, 2018, 08:27:21 PM
New York uses extruded panels, which are the way forward, obviously.
Where does New York use extruded panels? They use incremental panels on Z-bars.

Whoops. Terminology error on my part. I knew what I meant  ;-)

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SSOWorld

Wisconsin: Has the flat wooden variety.  most have 2 panels - upper: Exit, Lower ### and arrow
Iowa: Extruded Metal sheet variety.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Pink Jazz

Arizona mostly uses extruded gore signs, but some replacements are overlaid with incremental panels; perhaps ADOT may be recycling the extruded panels and overlaying them with incremental panels.

roadman

MassDOT generally uses extruded panels on S-beam posts for exit gore signs.  The exception is for a temporary replacement after a knockdown, which will often be a generic "EXIT" sign made from 0.080 inch sheet aluminum and mounted on telescopic posts.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

J N Winkler

I think the current norm in Kansas is extruded aluminum on aluminum posts with breakaway bases.  In the past (demountable copy era), KDOT has used extrusheet on wooden posts made passively safe by drilling holes near the bases.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Gnutella

Most PennDOT BGSs are extruded-panel, but they're very inconsistent with the gore signs. Half of them are extruded-panel, and half of them are increment panel. I suppose it depends on the contractor.

mrcmc888

Tennessee uses extruded signs for its BGSes, but a lot of the gore signs are sheet metal.  It depends on how old the exit is...exits made during the past few ten years will always have extruded gore signs, but there are plenty of flat gore signs that have yet to be replaced.  If it ain't broke, then TDOT isn't going to fix it.

wriddle082

Here's am oddity that I'm going to bring up in another currently active thread:

Florida, for the most part, uses flat sheet metal or incremental panels with z-bars for mounting purposes.  With one exception: logo signs.  For some odd reason they are extruded Panel.  I'm thinking this may have to do with them subbing out their logo sign program to an outside contractor, but I could be wrong.  Might be because extruded Panel is better suited for mountable copy, or in this case, mountable logo panels?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.