News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The Maryhill Loops Road

Started by 1995hoo, July 22, 2018, 02:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

The new issue of Road & Track has an article in which Sam Smith drives three vehicles–a 2018 BMW i3S, a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Tomahawk, and a 2018 Ferrari 812 Superfast–on the Maryhill Loops Road in Washington State.

QuoteOur backdrop was ancient but felt timeless. Maryhill Loops Road was constructed from 1909 to 1913. It was the first paved road in Washington State, an experiment, one of the first pieces of asphalt to use large-radius "horseshoe" turns to tame steep grades. The road's two miles of pavement contain 25 corners, zero driveways or intersections, and 850 feet of elevation change. All tucked into a narrow valley of verdant hills 100 miles east of Portland, Oregon. The Columbia River is so close, you can see whitecaps.

The road is owned by a nearby art museum and is open to motorized vehicles two days a year unless you rent it, as the magazine did. Location: https://goo.gl/maps/3yT8rDXa1472

It appears there was once more to the road above its current endpoint.

Anyone ever been there? You can see it on Street View and the scenery looks magnificent. You can also find various photos online of people racing down the road on skateboard-type things. I doubt I'll ever see it, especially not with one of my own cars, but I'd love to drive my RX-7 on there (although a sign at the bottom says not to exceed 20 mph, presumably unless you rent the road).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

I have been seriously considering going down to check it out, but haven't just yet.

I remember seeing the road on Google Maps, and doing some research on it before. At the time, I was more interested in the abandoned stretch near the top, as it reminded me of the abandoned Ridge Route near LA. But now that I have a car that's pretty fun, I'd love to take a spin on it.

The suggested 20 limit is only advisory. As it's private property, technically there's no limit. It's more or less a Motorsport park at this point.

1995hoo

Quote from: jakeroot on July 22, 2018, 06:17:40 PM

The suggested 20 limit is only advisory. As it's private property, technically there's no limit. It's more or less a Motorsport park at this point.

The risk would be if you're there on one of the public days and you go too fast. The 20 mph may not be enforceable, but if you hit another car, the sign would be evidence of the standard of care.

I'll try later tonight to see whether the full article is online; if it is, I'll link it. Didn't think of that earlier today. Sam Smith raises a query that is GREAT for this forum: Can a road itself be considered a work of art? (This because an art museum owns it.)

Edited to add: It doesn't appear to be online yet, but then it is a brand-new issue that just came in the mail last week.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.