AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Montreal: Champlain Bridge Opening Postponed to June 2019  (Read 3507 times)

Duke87

• Last Login: June 23, 2019, 10:59:25 PM
Re: Montreal: Champlain Bridge Opening Postponed to June 2019
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2019, 12:02:30 AM »

I don't think I've even heard of a metro area having two, non-interoperable transponders anywhere else.

Miami comes to mind - Rickenbacker Causeway does not take SunPass (which all the other toll roads in the area do), but they do have their own "C-Pass".
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

webfil

• I thought being taught would be tough, though.

• Last Login: June 24, 2019, 11:45:56 AM
    • Le livre noir de la vie en Basse-Ville
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2019, 12:43:01 PM »

I don't think I've even heard of a metro area having two, non-interoperable transponders anywhere else.

Miami comes to mind - Rickenbacker Causeway does not take SunPass (which all the other toll roads in the area do), but they do have their own "C-Pass".
C-Pass is not accepted anymore; Sun Pass is.
https://www.miamidade.gov/parks/rickenbacker.asp
https://www.sunpass.com/en/tolls/tollsSunPass.shtml

EDIT : This just shows non-interoperability is not a sealed fate. It just takes some political will and a reasonable motive (whether engineeral or economical).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 06:30:39 PM by webfil »

Joe The Dragon

• Last Login: June 24, 2019, 11:16:05 PM
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2019, 12:42:28 AM »

EDIT : This just shows non-interoperability is not a sealed fate. It just takes some political will and a reasonable motive (whether engineeral or economical).
we need an senator or congressman to get hit with the insane rent a car toll fees to force change.

Richard3

• Last Login: June 24, 2019, 10:21:44 PM
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2019, 11:22:05 PM »

...and in Quebec, for sure, a politician having some political will and a reasonable motive at the same time will definitely be accused of corruption.
What happens on the road... stays on the road!

I ride a Charger, a Durango,... and a Peterbilt!

States/provinces I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT

Stephane Dumas

• Last Login: June 24, 2019, 08:21:10 PM
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2019, 03:58:44 PM »

On a off-topic sidenote, here an overview of the new Champlain bridge filmed last May.

MikeTheActuary

• Last Login: Today at 01:40:38 AM
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2019, 09:55:27 PM »

So, I drove up to Montréal today for my June work trip.

From what I could see, it looks most of the signage is up on the new bridge, but they were working on installing the safety barriers at the apex of the new bridge, where it crosses over the seaway.

I couldn't tell for certain from my vantage point, going into the city while trying not to be smushed by a semi that just didn't want to stay in his lane, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is still some work to be done to configure temporary, much less permanent, ramps for the interchange on the south side of the bridge.  On the Montréal side of the bridge...I can make an educated guess on how they will be reconfiguring exits, based on some currently-covered signs, and some currently-visible signs on closed roadways.

Has a new opening date been announced?   I'm guessing that this evening's crossing might have been the last time I'll get to drive the old bridge northbound.  I'm looking forward to not repeating the experience.  :)

MikeTheActuary

• Last Login: Today at 01:40:38 AM
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2019, 08:51:04 AM »

https://www.985fm.ca/nouvelles/politique/226850/primeur-le-pont-samuel-de-champlain-ouvrira-un-premier-troncon-le-24-juin

New bridge opens northbound the morning of 24 June, and southbound on 1 July.  Opening ceremony is 28 June.

froggie

• Last Login: June 24, 2019, 04:06:07 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2019, 09:57:01 PM »

Anyone up for a quick Montreal trip on the weekend in between?

1995hoo

• Last Login: June 24, 2019, 10:52:15 PM
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2019, 10:52:15 PM »

The bridge opened (one way only so far) as advertised today, per the evening news on local TV here in Toronto tonight. They didn’t have any interesting pictures, though.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.