News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Big death signs

Started by Kniwt, December 30, 2018, 08:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kniwt

I saw this sign on FL 997 today (as of today, the number is 3), and it got me to wondering what other so-called "blood alleys" have traditional signs (not digital signs) that give a rolling count of dead people? I seem to remember some in the Midwest back in the day, particularly along the bad parts of US 20. But are they still a thing?

And, somewhat tangentially, is three deaths a year on a 40-mile stretch of road enough to warrant the big yellow signs? The northern half of FL 997 has been upgraded to four-lane expressway and is now really, really nice, even though it has an insanely low 55mph limit. The southern half is still a nasty mess; in fact, I happened upon a four-vehicle rear-end collision that forced everyone to detour through a gas station parking lot.

ErmineNotyours

The only sign I know is digital, counting up the days since the last serious accident.  It's eastbound on US 2 outside of Snohomish, Washington.  Street View just misses it.  You can see the back of the sign, and then they drop to older images.  You can see it in this photo from SR Web.

ipeters61

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Max Rockatansky

Southern Florida has a lot of the "kill counter" signs on what has been deemed to be dangerous highways.  Generally they tend to be the two-lane variants like FL 997 and US 1 in the Keys:

997FLe by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

I watched the US 1 Kill Counter get up to 18 one year when I lived in Key West.  I have my photo somewhere but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

MikieTimT

Arkansas used to have one on US71 north of Alma and south of Fayetteville before I-540/49 was completed on that segment, but don't have it anymore since it's merely a scenic route now that the truck and Arkansas/Texas weekend college student traffic have moved off it.  That road was definitely functionally obsolete long before the interstate went in, but it's a fun drive now without all the through traffic burden.  As long as they can keep a couple of sections from sliding off the mountain.

kphoger

Quote from: Kniwt on December 30, 2018, 08:52:50 PM
is three deaths a year on a 40-mile stretch of road enough to warrant the big yellow signs?

I'd say it definitely depends on the AADT of the road in question.  The length of highway doesn't really matter;  AADT is the "population size".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Arkansas used to have those along US 71.

X number of deaths in the last three years.
Don't you be next.

They were removed when I-540 (now 49) was opened.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Kniwt

Quote from: ipeters61 on December 31, 2018, 12:48:58 PM
Headquarters (Dover): https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1930891,-75.5458007,3a,23.4y,345.99h,84.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBwnKzNwfPpG3UddZ5xn7dA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Interesting that they use "seatbelts used" instead of "seatbelts not used." One would think they'd want to stress the importance of using seatbelts, not that using them will get you killed anyway. :)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Kniwt on December 30, 2018, 08:52:50 PM
I saw this sign on FL 997 today (as of today, the number is 3), and it got me to wondering what other so-called "blood alleys" have traditional signs (not digital signs) that give a rolling count of dead people? I seem to remember some in the Midwest back in the day, particularly along the bad parts of US 20. But are they still a thing?

And, somewhat tangentially, is three deaths a year on a 40-mile stretch of road enough to warrant the big yellow signs? The northern half of FL 997 has been upgraded to four-lane expressway and is now really, really nice, even though it has an insanely low 55mph limit. The southern half is still a nasty mess; in fact, I happened upon a four-vehicle rear-end collision that forced everyone to detour through a gas station parking lot.

I've seen things like that on bike trails, but I have never seen the number above 0.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

wanderer2575

I don't have a photo, but Michigan posts on freeway VMSs at least once a month the year-to-date statewide roadway death count along with a comparison (over or under) to last year's death count as of the same date.

riiga

No counters here, the closest we have are signs like these saying

E4 through Södermanland [county]
accident-prone road
Drive carefully!

ipeters61

Quote from: Kniwt on December 31, 2018, 04:04:09 PM
Quote from: ipeters61 on December 31, 2018, 12:48:58 PM
Headquarters (Dover): https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1930891,-75.5458007,3a,23.4y,345.99h,84.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBwnKzNwfPpG3UddZ5xn7dA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Interesting that they use "seatbelts used" instead of "seatbelts not used." One would think they'd want to stress the importance of using seatbelts, not that using them will get you killed anyway. :)
You know, I had a different perspective on that actually.  Pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorcyclists can't use seat belts to protect themselves on the road!  We have a sign in the building where I work and I think of that every day.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

formulanone

Although long since removed, the "STOP DEATH" rail road crossing in Grenada, Mississippi needs to be posted:

(From the Mississippi State Archives.)

Truvelo

Some counties in England have signs showing the number of deaths compared to the same period the previous year. 2016 was obviously a bad year.

Speed limits limit life

kphoger

They must have built some new crash-prone roundabouts.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on January 01, 2019, 04:00:35 PM
They must have built some new crash-prone roundabouts.
How did that thread last so long?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

This past weekend, the VMS units on I-95 in Georgia were displaying this year's overall fatality count and the motorcycle-specific count, alternating with an admonition to drive safely.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

nexus73

Quote from: formulanone on January 01, 2019, 11:05:37 AM
Although long since removed, the "STOP DEATH" rail road crossing in Grenada, Mississippi needs to be posted:

That sign will definitely get your attention...unless you are stuck on your digital device...LOL! 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Scott5114

Quote from: nexus73 on January 01, 2019, 07:26:54 PM
That sign will definitely get your attention...unless you are stuck on your digital device...LOL! 

Rick

Yeah, all the digital devices that were in use in 1940 were such a huge distraction that the US didn't even notice World War II had started.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

nexus73

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 02, 2019, 07:18:44 AM

Rick

Yeah, all the digital devices that were in use in 1940 were such a huge distraction that the US didn't even notice World War II had started.

Good thing we did not have digital devices then, eh?  LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

formulanone

Quote from: nexus73 on January 02, 2019, 12:38:12 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 02, 2019, 07:18:44 AM

Rick

Good thing we did not have digital devices then, eh?  LOL!

Rick

N73 Error: Trying to insert tired narrative where it doesn't belong.

The big yellow signs are a recent Florida thing; this one on the other end of Krome Avenue went up in January 2018:

Krome (FL 997) was entirely two lanes but as a lot of truck and commuter traffic used it, impatient drivers could make it dangerous during rush hours. I once eased myself off gently to avoid someone who insisted on passing multiple cars on Krome Avenue.

By contrast, they also used to put a counter on the number of endangered Florida Panther left in the wild, around SR 29 and SR 951. Vehicle strikes were the leading cause of death. I recall the numbers went down to 30 or so, but in the late-1990s, conservation efforts increased (and their numbers to about 200) and the signs went away.

cjk374

Rick

I wish this was the standard crossing signal everywhere. I have always loved this.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

sparker

Quote from: cjk374 on January 02, 2019, 07:43:41 PM

Rick

I wish this was the standard crossing signal everywhere. I have always loved this.

Add gates that look like swords and you'd have an even more convincing presentation.  I only wish that someone would have photographed the sign from another perspective; it looks like it straddles both the road and the RR tracks on an angle.  Definitely enough clearance for the trains of its day (no double-stack back then!).

GenExpwy

Quote from: sparker on January 03, 2019, 02:38:06 AM
Quote from: cjk374 on January 02, 2019, 07:43:41 PM

Rick

Add gates that look like swords and you'd have an even more convincing presentation.  I only wish that someone would have photographed the sign from another perspective; it looks like it straddles both the road and the RR tracks on an angle.  Definitely enough clearance for the trains of its day (no double-stack back then!).

I think the best part is that, according to Wikipedia, instead of a bell it had an air raid siren:-o

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.