News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-68 (National Freeway)

Started by jwags, February 21, 2010, 12:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

Quote from: Gnutella on September 26, 2014, 11:14:33 AM
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission is about to select a "preferred alternative" for their Allegheny Mountain Tunnel project soon, and I anticipate that it will involve six lanes regardless of whether it involves a bypass or a new tunnel. This goes along with the design work underway for multiple segments of the Turnpike between the Allegheny Front and Breezewood, plus the ongoing reconstruction of I-70 south of Pittsburgh. It appears that Pennsylvania is throwing down the gauntlet now.

I recently drove a segment of I-68 from U.S. 40 in Maryland west to Morgantown, and I was struck by the long, steep grades relative to the Turnpike, so I'm not sure how practical it is for long-distance truck traffic, especially considering I-68 still ends at I-79. By 2020, the only arguments Maryland and West Virginia will have left will be "Breezewood" and "Speers-Belle Vernon Bridge."

And "Tolls"
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Strider

I think these signs are making sense. Because not everyone knows where I-68 (or Cumberland, MD) is. I realize that I-68 acts as an alternative to I-70 and the Turnpike in PA, but i think it is a poor job in WV for not signing which to go to reach I-70, Ohio and points west. (you can either go north on I-79, go down to US 250 or take WV/PA 43).

cpzilliacus

Tried the Breezewood Avoidance Route - I-70 eastbound from Wheeling, W.Va. to Pa. 43, then south on 43 to I-68 in West Virginia, then east to I-70 in Hancock, Maryland.

Relatively little traffic, but it struck me that a lot of the tractor-trailer traffic were permitted (overdimensional) loads (long, wide or high). 

The Allegheny Tunnel is obviously a barrier to overhight loads, but perhaps not to overwidth and overlength cargo.

Could they be staying with toll-free I-68 to save money?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

Quote from: Strider on September 26, 2014, 01:01:28 PM
I think these signs are making sense. Because not everyone knows where I-68 (or Cumberland, MD) is. I realize that I-68 acts as an alternative to I-70 and the Turnpike in PA, but i think it is a poor job in WV for not signing which to go to reach I-70, Ohio and points west. (you can either go north on I-79, go down to US 250 or take WV/PA 43).

West Virginia really doesn't have a dog in that fight. If Maryland is signing I-68 as an alternative to the PA Turnpike to direct traffic (and commerce) to Cumberland and vicinity, then that's totally a Maryland-centric venture.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SteveG1988

Quote from: hbelkins on September 26, 2014, 03:26:21 PM

West Virginia really doesn't have a dog in that fight. If Maryland is signing I-68 as an alternative to the PA Turnpike to direct traffic (and commerce) to Cumberland and vicinity, then that's totally a Maryland-centric venture.

WV gets fringe benefits basically.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on September 26, 2014, 03:26:21 PM

As long as Pennsylvania keeps its breezewoods and charges high (and higher) tolls for a Turnpike that is not at all better than "free" roads in other states, I have no problem with Maryland doing that (and I have absolutely no say-so about it).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

QuoteCould they be staying with toll-free I-68 to save money?

This could make for an interesting analysis.  The big question that would need to be quantified would be how the significant up-and-down hills along the 68 corridor would affect both their speed and their fuel consumption.

JREwing78

Quote from: Gnutella on September 26, 2014, 11:14:33 AMI recently drove a segment of I-68 from U.S. 40 in Maryland west to Morgantown, and I was struck by the long, steep grades relative to the Turnpike, so I'm not sure how practical it is for long-distance truck traffic, especially considering I-68 still ends at I-79.

I took the I-70 -> I-68 -> I-79 routing back from Gettysburg in a 2001 Ford Ranger 4-cylinder a few years ago. This particular Ranger was far from healthy (I suspect a plugged catalytic converter). The hills on I-68 were simply brutal; I spent a lot of time in 3rd gear, sometimes 2nd gear, floored to maintain 35-40mph. At the crests, I'd get maybe a half-mile of 4th or 5th gear before having to drop back down to 3rd to take it easy on the brakes going downhill.

SteveG1988

My DD13 Equipped semi gets 5.9MPG averaging out from Mullica Hill NJ to Mount Sterling KY, it gets 7.5-8mpg on flat land runs.
Roads Clinched

Bitmapped

Through traffic does not use US 250 between Fairmont and Moundsville.  WV does sign the distance to Washington, PA along I-68 and lists Washington, PA as the control city at the I-79/I-68 interchange.

amroad17

The control cities for I-79 should be Charleston and Pittsburgh with Washington, PA and Fairmont on secondary signs.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

NE2

Quote from: amroad17 on October 01, 2014, 05:46:30 AM
The control cities for I-79 should be Charleston and Pittsburgh with Washington, PA and Fairmont on secondary signs.
And Beckley or Bluefield alternating with Charleston, since a fair amount of traffic is forking off onto Corridor L.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

If I'm not mistaken, Beckley shows up on a mileage sign shortly after I-79 southbound enters WV, but I can't remember if you see Beckley again until the actual US 19 exit.

SP Cook

Quote from: hbelkins on October 01, 2014, 03:34:38 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Beckley shows up on a mileage sign shortly after I-79 southbound enters WV, but I can't remember if you see Beckley again until the actual US 19 exit.

There is a goofy combo southbound that reads something like "TRUCKS: Use I-79 to US 19 Exit 57 - Beckley" just before the first (of dozens) exits for US 19, which is the second exit in the state.   I suppose people with the simple directions of "take 79 to 19 to 77" could get confused and take the first US 19 exit they come to.  (19 and 79 roughly parallel each other until Exit 57 when 19 becomes Corridor L and the better route south and 79 turns westward).   The rest of the interactions with 19 omit the route sign from the exits southbound (as does I-77 Exit 20 northbound).

Unexplained is why the sign reads "Trucks". 

hbelkins

Once upon a time, you could see the shadows where the US 19 marker was removed from the exit signs for the US 19 Roanoke exit south of Weston.

Henry

Quote from: amroad17 on October 01, 2014, 05:46:30 AM
Duh! I always thought that large cities and those at an Interstate's terminus should get the primary treatment. Which is why it irks me that Philadelphia doesn't get the same respect as New York on I-95 headed north from Washington and Baltimore. (but that's for another topic)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

dave19

Quote from: hbelkins on October 02, 2014, 10:29:54 AM
Once upon a time, you could see the shadows where the US 19 marker was removed from the exit signs for the US 19 Roanoke exit south of Weston.
Those signs you speak of were replaced within the past year.

hbelkins

Are they Clearview now? I haven't been on I-79 since last August.

Bitmapped

Quote from: hbelkins on October 03, 2014, 02:07:15 PM
No.  They were a WVDOH in-house replacement, so they are in FHWA alphabet.

dave19

Quote from: hbelkins on October 03, 2014, 02:07:15 PM
No, they are not!  :clap:
Southbound they say Stonewall Resort, then there's a line, then Roanoke at the bottom, with no indication of US 19. The northbound signs do include a US 19 shield.

TheKnightoftheInterstate

Quote from: SP Cook on September 24, 2014, 07:51:42 AM
Yeah, that is the sign.  WTF. 

First, I-68 does not go to Ohio.  It ends in Morgantown, WV, 50 mountainous miles and several hours from Ohio, unless the motorist goes north to return to the route the motorist is already on (I-70) or south to Corridor D and an eventual return to I-70. 

Second, what is "Points West" ?  Indiana?  Iowa? 

Third, WV isn't in on the scam.  No sign on I-79 advertises I-68 as anything but the route to Cumberland.  Not, say, "Baltimore and the Shore" and, if you were navigating by the sign westward, nothing in Morgantown says anything but Fairmont or Washington (the one in PA).  No signage to direct one to either Corridor D or back to I-70.

Can anybody else think of a similar sign?  By which I mean a sign in one jurisdiction that touts that state's routes over other just as, or more, logical routes?

Exactly. I wouldn't mind the sign if I-68 actually traveled to Ohio and "Points West".

Instead, for knowledgeable road geeks, we know the difference. For a naïve traveler, who doesn't, well I just pray there isn't an accident caused by the trickery.

Frankly, the sign smacks of Turnpike envy.
I-99= From Cumberland to Corning if life was fair

I-95 disappearance and reappearance in NJ is the greatest trick since Houdini

Irony: When a road geek doesn't know how to drive

Let's Go Bucs!

These boots had to see California
and an Arizona morning where God paints the sky
-Eric Church

NE2

If Pennsylvania wanted to be dicks, they'd put something on I-95 southbound saying 'alternate route to Baltimore: take US 322 west to US 1 south'.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mr_Northside

Quote from: TheKnightoftheInterstate on October 13, 2014, 05:44:57 PM
For a naïve traveler, who doesn't, well I just pray there isn't an accident caused by the trickery.

Huh?
What kind of accident would there be???   Someone without a GPS/Atlas/Any kind of pre-trip planning sees the "Ohio and West" sign, takes I-68 - and when it ends at I-79 and they're not in Ohio (or west), they decide to come to a complete stop in the middle of the interstate out of frustration causing rear-end accidents?  That sounds ridiculous.
Or, when I-68 ends - not in Ohio- they don't know what to do and end up so lost, and refusing to find somewhere for bathroom breaks, end up having an "accident"??

While the the navigation value of the sign is up for discussion, I feel pretty confident it won't directly lead to any accidents (certainly nothing worthy of prayer).
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

TheKnightoftheInterstate

Quote from: Mr_Northside on October 14, 2014, 03:55:42 PM
Quote from: TheKnightoftheInterstate on October 13, 2014, 05:44:57 PM
For a naïve traveler, who doesn't, well I just pray there isn't an accident caused by the trickery.

Huh?
What kind of accident would there be???   Someone without a GPS/Atlas/Any kind of pre-trip planning sees the "Ohio and West" sign, takes I-68 - and when it ends at I-79 and they're not in Ohio (or west), they decide to come to a complete stop in the middle of the interstate out of frustration causing rear-end accidents?  That sounds ridiculous.
Or, when I-68 ends - not in Ohio- they don't know what to do and end up so lost, and refusing to find somewhere for bathroom breaks, end up having an "accident"??

While the the navigation value of the sign is up for discussion, I feel pretty confident it won't directly lead to any accidents (certainly nothing worthy of prayer).

Confused humans have a way of surprising you during their desperation. If they end up in 1-79 and are completely disoriented, who knows?

Either way, the sign is just foolish and petty for an Interstate highway.

I believe anything is worthy of prayer, but this is not a theological board.
I-99= From Cumberland to Corning if life was fair

I-95 disappearance and reappearance in NJ is the greatest trick since Houdini

Irony: When a road geek doesn't know how to drive

Let's Go Bucs!

These boots had to see California
and an Arizona morning where God paints the sky
-Eric Church

seicer

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.