AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Current Legislative Proposals to Increase State DOT Budgets  (Read 874 times)

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

• Last Login: July 19, 2019, 08:17:48 AM
Re: Current Legislative Proposals to Increase State DOT Budgets
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2019, 09:20:48 PM »

^ and got rid of the front license plate while they were at it
When it comes to volume, the Ohio River is not a tributary. The Upper Mississippi is.

Plutonic Panda

• Last Login: July 18, 2019, 05:05:56 PM
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2019, 09:31:48 PM »

^ and got rid of the front license plate while they were at it
Seems like a good idea. I used to be for two license plates but after considering everything I changed my mind.

Avalanchez71

• Last Login: Today at 01:35:18 AM
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2019, 05:28:14 PM »

A gas tax increase and registration fee increase was passed in Tennessee last year.  Luckily those legislators in the House that spearheaded the issue are gone.  Barry Doss and Timothy Wirgau both lost their respective primary bids.  The public said no to the gas tax increase.  Barry Doss was the Chairman of the House Transportation Committee and had the juice to kill the tax.  He did the opposite and paid the price of losing the race.

Both my Senator and Representative were no votes.  They are very much appreciated.

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 03:04:23 PM
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2019, 07:35:59 PM »

A gas tax increase and registration fee increase was passed in Tennessee last year.  Luckily those legislators in the House that spearheaded the issue are gone.  Barry Doss and Timothy Wirgau both lost their respective primary bids.  The public said no to the gas tax increase.  Barry Doss was the Chairman of the House Transportation Committee and had the juice to kill the tax.  He did the opposite and paid the price of losing the race.

Both my Senator and Representative were no votes.  They are very much appreciated.
Why?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: July 19, 2019, 01:52:10 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2019, 10:50:22 PM »

Why?

Probably because he, like me doesn't want gas prices to go up any more than they already are. Gas is up 50-60 cents, or more, here in Kentucky over what it was just a couple of months ago. Thankfully the gas tax increase and vehicle registration fee increase that was introduced in Kentucky's legislature went nowhere this year. The fact that Republicans introduced the tax and fee increase legislation is absolutely astonishing to me. The sponsor and proponents certainly heard from their constituents over it.

Gas here is $2.799, and it tends to run much higher than other places in Kentucky. Thankfully it's still $2.599 where I work, 25 miles away, and I can fill up there, but if it gets much higher I'm going to go into "no discretionary travel"  and "put in neutral and coast down hills" modes.

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 03:04:23 PM
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2019, 10:57:37 PM »

Although I abhor gas tax revenues being raided for other purposes besides transportation improvements and understand why gas tax increases are so politically unpopular, I would also think that they would be one area where the public should see the sharpest effects of getting what they pay for.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MNHighwayMan

• Blue and gold forever!

• Last Login: Today at 02:04:18 PM
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2019, 11:10:48 PM »

Although I abhor gas tax revenues being raided for other purposes besides transportation improvements and understand why gas tax increases are so politically unpopular, I would also think that they would be one area where the public should see the sharpest effects of getting what they pay for.

Because people, in general, have trouble thinking long term. If it isn't an ideological opposition to raising taxes, it's because in the immediate term, a gas tax raise hurts their wallet. They under-appreciate the benefit over the long term. There's also the dreaded problem of construction, which is another shortsighted complaint that so many people love to make.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.