News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Who Likes Old Maps?

Started by Michael, January 27, 2010, 04:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

I like old maps to see the former alignment of roads.  I just find a digital version on the Web most times.

realjd

Quote from: Michael on January 27, 2010, 04:19:46 PM
I like old maps to see the former alignment of roads.  I just find a digital version on the Web most times.

Know any good sites to find old road maps online? I've struggled finding them.

US71

Quote from: realjd on January 27, 2010, 06:51:00 PM
Quote from: Michael on January 27, 2010, 04:19:46 PM

Arkansas is here:
ftp://ftp.geostor.arkansas.gov/geostor_raster_02/AHTD_MAP_SERIES/HISTORIC/
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Michael

Quote from: realjd on January 27, 2010, 06:51:00 PM

I use Terraserver-USA for topos from the 70's.  For New England and New York, there's a University of New Hampshire site with maps from the late 1800s.

The Cayuga County Rootsweb Maps page has maps dating back to the late 1700s for Cayuga County and some surrounding areas.  Explore the links for even more maps.

Cornell has aerial photos of Central New York from dates as early as the late 1930s.

Stojko

I like looking at old maps... I'd especially like to see what St. John's looked like over the years but I can't find any on eBay or anywhere. Free online versions would be even better.

Those US links are interesting though.

PAHighways

Truvelo

The maps I like best are the ones from the 60's and 70's which show freeway plans such as this. This is especially true of roads that were never built.
Speed limits limit life

exit322

I've got a fair collection of older maps, but I've spent more recent time working on my collection of hotel/motel directories.  Which have old maps in them.  Little ones.  Not real accurate a lot of the times.  :-P

Mr. Matté

Historic Aerials has a lot of good old aerial shots (albeit with watermarks).

yakra

I'm a big fan of the UNH link Michael posted above. Occasionally I'll go to maptech.com, where they have the same stuff, but with a few more states covered.
http://historical.mytopo.com/index.cfm?CFID=5777095&CFTOKEN=71902559

also:
Historical Nebraska Maps
KDOT Historic State Maps
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

realjd

Cool sites - thanks everyone!

berberry

MS's old highway maps page features official state road maps dating back to 1928. 

Weird that Mississippi had a special symbol for a cloverleaf interchange back in the day (check out the Hattiesburg insert on the 1949 map for an example).  We should go back to using that, since those interchanges are sometimes dangerous and can really slow you down if you don't realize you're approaching a particularly bad one.

vdeane

Is there anywhere I can get ariels/maps for upstate ny from the 60s all the way through the 90s?  I'd like to be able to see the freeway systems develop, but I can't find anything.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mobilene

I have a small collection of old maps and Automobile Blue Books (not the car pricing guides -- the old turn-by-turn direction guides made from 1900 to about 1930).  I use them in my roadsleuthing, as I like to find old alignments.  I focus on Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, and Michigan since those are the places I can get to most easily.  Between the ABBs and my old maps, I have pretty good luck figuring out where the road used to go.   jim
jim grey | Indianapolis, Indiana

english si

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ has lots of old maps of Great Britain (well old maps of different parts of the country - depends on what is available). My favourite are the 1923 MOT Half Inch maps (filed under Historic OS maps), showing what numbers roads had on classification.

Sadly anything post-1960 is under copyright, so most motorway plans and so on are sitting in archives (or even filed somewhere in the Highways department in the council - Portsmouth archives have nothing newer than 1965, and they have edited council minutes where they discuss their motorway loop, but the actual plans, if they still exist, will be at the Highways Department).

mightyace

I have a significant collection of old maps.  It is mainly a combination of what I've gotten over the years plus those inherited from both grandfathers.  My maternal grandfather like to plot his travels on a map or atlas himself.  I think my paternal grandfather was simply a pack rat in this respect.

They are mostly Rand McNally atlases, official state maps, and the old oil company maps.  One of the prizes of my collection was an atlas printed by one of the Milwaukee papers.  It is, IIRC, sometime from the 20s or 30s.

I like to look at them to see how the highway system has evolved over time.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

nyratk1

I love old Hagstrom maps - they have a bit of character to them. Especially the street atlases.

florida

So many roads...so little time.

Quillz

Just the other day I saw an old map of SoCal, possibly from the late 1950s or early 60s, as some of the Interstates were complete in places in other. The one I was looking at, for example, showed most of US 66 still intact in California, with only the section between Needles and the border signed as I-40. It also showed I-15 only existing between I-10 and Barstow. The rest was all signed as either US-91 or US-395.

But what I found most interesting was just how different some of the state routes were back in the day... CA-118 extended much further east, CA-30 used to follow the alignment that is now CA-330 and CA-150 was almost entirely different.

Troubleshooter

I still have the pre-1968 Rand McNally Atlases, because the city maps showed the interchange ramps instead of little squares.

Tom

Hey, mightyrace.  Do you sell or trade your old maps?  I'm trying to replace at least a few of a collection I had that were lost :-(.  If you do, do you have the following?

1. 1962 Ohio Official Highway Map.
2. 1966 Hammond Road Atlas.
3. 1966 Rand McNally Road Atlas & Travel Guide.
4. 1967 Rand McNally Road Atlas & Travel Guide.
5. 1967 Rand McNally Interstate Road Atlas.
6. 1969 Rand McNally Pocket Mini Road Atlas.
7. 1971 Rand McNally Road Atlas & Travel Guide.

P.S. Here is a Mr. Whitworth's (God rest his soul) website with covers of Michigan's Official Highway Maps:
http://www.whitworthfamily.org/michofficials.htm :coffee:

mightyace

^^^

I'm not interested in selling or trading at this time.

If/when I get around to making a good catalog of my collection, I might consider it.  (especially any duplicates)
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Now that the 2010 Roadmap Collectors Association meeting just ended (Dallas this year). They've announced that their 2011 meeting will be held in Columbus in June.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.