AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More US 31 upgrades between Indy and South Bend  (Read 3784 times)

royo6022

• Last Login: Today at 03:04:33 PM
Re: More US 31 upgrades between Indy and South Bend
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2019, 12:03:24 AM »

There's likely something in state law that prevents anything with at-grade connections being posted above 60 mph. But I agree, 65 mph or even 70 mph is appropriate for both US-31, the US-231 stretch I mentioned, and other roads in the state.

Yes, see IC 9-21-5-2 on http://iga.in.gov/legislative/laws/2017/ic/titles/009#9-21-5.

I cannot speak for the stretch of US 231, but the rural 60 mph portions of US 41 certainly have widespread disobedience of the 60 mph limit.  I would estimate at least 75% is doing 70 or greater.

US 231 South of I 64 is marked as 60 mph, which is completely idiotic. Other than a couple well-marked county road turn-offs and one ground level State Road 70 turn-off, it's basically an Interstate. The speed limit there should be 70mph as well as US 41 should be from I 64 to Vincennes. As far as US 231 North of I 64, since it is mostly just a 2-lane at least as far as to I 69, the speed limit should be that of a typical two-lane state highway. US 231 from I 64 north is just a never-ending nightmare anyways, I'm surprised they just now are starting more extended studies on the Midstate Corridor... but that's for another thread :)
Interstates traveled: 4, 10, 15, 39, 40, 44, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 74, 75, 80, 81, 88, 90, 94

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 09:07:07 PM
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2019, 05:39:39 PM »

US 231 South of I 64 is marked as 60 mph, which is completely idiotic. Other than a couple well-marked county road turn-offs and one ground level State Road 70 turn-off, it's basically an Interstate. The speed limit there should be 70mph
It's more interesting the fact that the roadway was only built in the past decade as a relocation / upgrade of the 2-lane US-231. It's a limited-access roadway with private driveways prohibited, and a few intersections and an interchange. The rural segments should definitely be posted at minimum 65 mph, 70 mph ideal. Again though, that law is the only thing prohibiting it. I've complained about this numerous times - an artificial limit set on paper based solely on functional class (60 mph divided, 65 mph freeway, 70 mph interstate highway in Indiana's case) that defies reality and true design speed. I'd be willing to bet the true design speed for the roadway is at least 70 mph. Seeing this project was built around the time they built I-69 between Evansville and Bloomington, I'm surprised it wasn't built to full freeway standards. It's also would have given Owensboro direct freeway access to I-64 East.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 05:41:56 PM by sprjus4 »

monty

• Last Login: November 18, 2019, 08:15:29 PM
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2019, 11:46:02 PM »

I suspect that US31 will be closer to interstate type standard from Indy to the new Kokomo segment after the interchange is built at Division Road and the NSRR is bridged. INDOT has acquired some twelve properties in Tipton County and a reliable source indicated that the current Northbound lanes will become an access road north of the RR. Just saw two properties on the west side of the highway that are empty - which will allow for new Southbound lanes to be built in this area. It makes sense that Bakers Corner interchange through Division Road interchange will be next to get the full conversion.
monty

sparker

• Last Login: Today at 12:16:53 AM
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2019, 05:46:59 PM »

I suspect that US31 will be closer to interstate type standard from Indy to the new Kokomo segment after the interchange is built at Division Road and the NSRR is bridged. INDOT has acquired some twelve properties in Tipton County and a reliable source indicated that the current Northbound lanes will become an access road north of the RR. Just saw two properties on the west side of the highway that are empty - which will allow for new Southbound lanes to be built in this area. It makes sense that Bakers Corner interchange through Division Road interchange will be next to get the full conversion.

Likely scenario:  INDOT will build out US 31 as a full freeway Indy-Kokomo -- then sit back and wait for reaction from the areas north of there to Plymouth, building out the enhanced divided facility they're currently planning.  If there's a lot of pissing and moaning regarding "they got a freeway; we have to put up with these damn J-turns" or something similar, then at least preliminary planning for freeway upgrades will occur (with any actual activity toward development TBD as regards a timeline).  A plan like that is probably all INDOT can "bite off" at this time. 

monty

• Last Login: November 18, 2019, 08:15:29 PM
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2019, 10:15:26 PM »

Likely scenario:  INDOT will build out US 31 as a full freeway Indy-Kokomo -- then sit back and wait for reaction from the areas north of there to Plymouth, building out the enhanced divided facility they're currently planning.  If there's a lot of pissing and moaning regarding "they got a freeway; we have to put up with these damn J-turns" or something similar, then at least preliminary planning for freeway upgrades will occur (with any actual activity toward development TBD as regards a timeline).  A plan like that is probably all INDOT can "bite off" at this time. 

I think you’re right. I counted ten homes that INDOT has purchased between Division Road and Tipton County 375 N On Both sides of the highway. The US 31 Coalition will continue to push for the entire INDY to South Bend route to be fully upgraded. J Turns are not a popular proposal. The governor is still working to keep his promise for a “no-stop” US 31. Lots of progress being made. 
monty

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.