News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Did not know they died.

Started by roadman65, July 29, 2019, 11:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I do not have cable nor do I watch TV or the news either local or network, so I find out later sometimes when certain stars die.  Recently I found out that Ken Kercheval ( Cliff Barnes on the TV show Dallas) had passed away last Spring.  Then Jerry Reed I found out here on the Burt Reynolds thread when he passed on that he died years ago.

I also found out Dan Fogelberg had died years after he passed, and even Jerry Van Dyke (Luther Van Dam on Coach) passed away last year and found out only a few months ago while surfing the web.

How many stars you have found that they have been gone long after they died?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

J3ebrules

You know whose death was not very well publicized, but was a big loss? Paul O'Neill, who we lost in April 2017.

Who's Paul O'Neill? Founder, songwriter, composer/lyricist, and producer for Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I was devastated - he was the driving force behind the band.
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

SP Cook

I find the recent deaths listing on Wikipedia's home page to be quite adequate for that information. 

In fact, I find the opposite to be true.  Somebody who was once famous and long past the average life expectancy will pass on and I have assumed that had been gone for a long time.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: SP Cook on July 31, 2019, 09:28:53 AM
I find the recent deaths listing on Wikipedia's home page to be quite adequate for that information. 

In fact, I find the opposite to be true.  Somebody who was once famous and long past the average life expectancy will pass on and I have assumed that had been gone for a long time.

Yeah, one case who happened recently when Doris Day died.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ErmineNotyours

I didn't know Karen Carpenter died until I saw her mausoleum in Time Magazine.  She died around the time I was watching MTV, and they never covered it for some reason.

GCrites

I don't think MTV knew who Karen Carpenter was.

PHLBOS

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on August 01, 2019, 06:55:35 PM
I didn't know Karen Carpenter died until I saw her mausoleum in Time Magazine.  She died around the time I was watching MTV, and they never covered it for some reason.
Quote from: GCrites80s on August 01, 2019, 08:29:01 PM
Karen Carpenter died on Feb. 4, 1983 when MTV was still in its infancy.  IIRC, most of the music videos MTV (when the acronym actually matched what the station was airing) was showing were predominantly current & top-40 songs... well after The Carpenters' heyday (the 1970s).  While MTV may have known who Karen Carpenter was; her music wasn't their genre/target viewing audience.

OTOH, had VH1 been around (such came into existence on Jan. 1, 1985) at the time; they certainly would've mentioned such.  In VH1's early years; they aired music videos that were largely too old for MTV.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jon daly

I didn't know that Lee Iacocca was still alive this year when I read his obituary.

I heard a Leon Redbone song the other day and that prompted me to look him up and I found out that he died in May.

Henry

I was born around the time that Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin died, so I didn't learn of their respective deaths until my teenage years.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

sparker

Quote from: Henry on August 02, 2019, 10:33:24 AM
I was born around the time that Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin died, so I didn't learn of their respective deaths until my teenage years.

We should all be giving thanks for recorded music, which (in most cases) outlives the creators.  Still have many original Hendrix/Joplin LP's (with CD backup!). 

kendancy66

kevinb1994

Richard3

...and what about those who died twice?

I mean, some media, for some obvious reasons, announced the death of those persons, but in fact, they were still alive. Then they really died many months, or years, later.

In province of Quebec, NHL head coach Pat Burns, and TV and radio host Huguette Proulx had to deal with that situation.
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Richard3 on August 06, 2019, 11:17:00 PM

I mean, some media, for some obvious reasons, announced the death of those persons, but in fact, they were still alive. Then they really died many months, or years, later.

In province of Quebec, NHL head coach Pat Burns, and TV and radio host Huguette Proulx had to deal with that situation.

Or the Poster Child for Early Reported Death:  Abe Vigoda.  He was "dead" years before he died, in 2016.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Verlanka

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on August 07, 2019, 01:54:22 AM
Quote from: Richard3 on August 06, 2019, 11:17:00 PM

Or the Poster Child for Early Reported Death:  Abe Vigoda.  He was "dead" years before he died, in 2016.
Not just once, but many times.

CNGL-Leudimin

For those who "died" twice see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_premature_obituaries. Mark Twain was reported to be dead twice, and St. John Paul II three times (one of them in a draft leak which included several others).

As for the thread subject, it has never occurred to me.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

roadman65

Quote from: GCrites80s on August 01, 2019, 08:29:01 PM
Her music was more Easy Listening that may be why. She was in the Barbara Streisand and Barry Manilow category.  I do not think they had more upbeat songs except maybe Top Of The World.

I never knew Leon Wilkinson of Lynyrd Skynyrd had died.  I knew Allan Collins died and of course the one's in the 1978 plane crash,   but now Wilkinson.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.