AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cities that have similar freeway networks  (Read 1383 times)

SectorZ

• Last Login: Today at 09:14:10 AM
Re: Cities that have similar freeway networks
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2019, 08:38:41 PM »

I always thought Indy and Columbus, OH are similar...and had the Downtown Indy Loop happened, would have been moreso

They are nearly identical cities. Similar skylines, similar population,weather,etc.
To the casual observer, you might think so. However the cities are quite different. Both are state capitols, but Indianapolis is the dominant city in Indiana, while Columbus is at best Ohio's third most significant metropolis. Columbus is basically just an overgrown college town with only one major professional sports team (the Blue Jackets), while Indy has the Pacers, the Colts, and the Fever... as well as a little thing called the Indianapolis 500. Oh, I guess you can include the MLS Crew for the city named after a racist European invader, that is IF you count soccer as a "major" professional sport.  :sombrero:  Indy has the world's largest Children's Museum, Columbus has Ohio State (for what that's worth  :sleep:). When I-465 was built in the late 1960s it was almost entirely 3 lanes in each direction, a distinction that I-270 couldn't make until the early 2000s. Another significant highway difference between the cities is that Columbus has state route freeways, while all of Indy's freeways (except for US 31 in Hamilton County) are Interstates.

All that being said, I used to work for a company based in Columbus (OH) and I have spent significant over time there. It is a pleasant city with friendly people, and except for their hang-up over the word "The"  :pan:, they are wonderful folks. Our two cities share a bond as "flyover country" to many on our coasts, but we "No Coasters" do just fine without those snobs. The Midwest (no, NOT you St. Louis) and Big Ten RULE (BTW, Indy has access to TWO Big Ten schools within 50 miles, not just one).

You leave out MLS, meanwhile, WTF are the "Fever"?

• UMass Lowell student

• Last Login: Today at 09:51:31 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2019, 09:35:10 PM »

I always thought Indy and Columbus, OH are similar...and had the Downtown Indy Loop happened, would have been moreso

They are nearly identical cities. Similar skylines, similar population,weather,etc.
To the casual observer, you might think so. However the cities are quite different. Both are state capitols, but Indianapolis is the dominant city in Indiana, while Columbus is at best Ohio's third most significant metropolis. Columbus is basically just an overgrown college town with only one major professional sports team (the Blue Jackets), while Indy has the Pacers, the Colts, and the Fever... as well as a little thing called the Indianapolis 500. Oh, I guess you can include the MLS Crew for the city named after a racist European invader, that is IF you count soccer as a "major" professional sport.  :sombrero:  Indy has the world's largest Children's Museum, Columbus has Ohio State (for what that's worth  :sleep:). When I-465 was built in the late 1960s it was almost entirely 3 lanes in each direction, a distinction that I-270 couldn't make until the early 2000s. Another significant highway difference between the cities is that Columbus has state route freeways, while all of Indy's freeways (except for US 31 in Hamilton County) are Interstates.

All that being said, I used to work for a company based in Columbus (OH) and I have spent significant over time there. It is a pleasant city with friendly people, and except for their hang-up over the word "The"  :pan:, they are wonderful folks. Our two cities share a bond as "flyover country" to many on our coasts, but we "No Coasters" do just fine without those snobs. The Midwest (no, NOT you St. Louis) and Big Ten RULE (BTW, Indy has access to TWO Big Ten schools within 50 miles, not just one).

WNBA
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US ⒔50
MA ⒐2⒉40.9⒐10⒎10⒐1⒒1⒚14⒈159
NH 27, 111A(E); NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A; CT 32; VT 5A; QC 16⒉16⒌263

Flickr

thspfc

• Last Login: Today at 08:19:55 AM
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2019, 08:44:22 AM »

You can’t just rank the WNBA as higher than the MLS. That’s just not how it works.

TEG24601

• Last Login: Today at 12:17:53 PM
    • Tegianzone
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2019, 12:13:42 PM »

Portland and Seattle

Doubly so, if I-90 had been finished to SR 99, and the Bayshore Freeway completed, in Seattle.  And the Prescott Freeway completed in Portland.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

michravera

• Last Login: Today at 03:20:08 PM
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2019, 01:45:09 PM »

Phoenix and Las Vegas seem to both be going for the concept of using single numeric designations as a “Loop” of sorts regarding freeway numbering.

Phoenix and Las Vegas can be similar because both cities aren't particularly constrained by local geography. They are, in effect, "Huge cities in the middle of nowhere". Cities on a lake (like Chicago, or Cleveland, or Buffalo), river (like most of the larger mid-West cities) or on a coast or bay (like about half of the large cities in the US) all will have quirks that make it unlikely that their freeway networks would be repeated.

• UMass Lowell student

• Last Login: Today at 09:51:31 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2019, 01:51:54 PM »

Phoenix and Las Vegas seem to both be going for the concept of using single numeric designations as a “Loop” of sorts regarding freeway numbering.

Phoenix and Las Vegas can be similar because both cities aren't particularly constrained by local geography. They are, in effect, "Huge cities in the middle of nowhere". Cities on a lake (like Chicago, or Cleveland, or Buffalo), river (like most of the larger mid-West cities) or on a coast or bay (like about half of the large cities in the US) all will have quirks that make it unlikely that their freeway networks would be repeated.

Both metro areas are blocked by mountains in some places.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US ⒔50
MA ⒐2⒉40.9⒐10⒎10⒐1⒒1⒚14⒈159
NH 27, 111A(E); NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A; CT 32; VT 5A; QC 16⒉16⒌263

Flickr

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 11:14:20 PM
    • Sure, Why Not? (Highway Blog Spot)
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2019, 02:05:54 PM »

I would say a more accurate way of describing Phoenix and Las Vegas is that both were designed with modern city planning in mind.  Both have similar grid patterns that was planned from a very early era to network outwards.  Rather than shoving a freeway (for the most part) through the heart of a developed area like an older city the freeway networks were planned more the outskirts in a beltway fashion near the areas of projected growth.  While outward growth is being gradually constrained by mountain ranges both Phoenix and Las Vegas do lie within large valleys. 

michravera

• Last Login: Today at 03:20:08 PM
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2019, 11:38:33 AM »

I would say a more accurate way of describing Phoenix and Las Vegas is that both were designed with modern city planning in mind.  Both have similar grid patterns that was planned from a very early era to network outwards.  Rather than shoving a freeway (for the most part) through the heart of a developed area like an older city the freeway networks were planned more the outskirts in a beltway fashion near the areas of projected growth.  While outward growth is being gradually constrained by mountain ranges both Phoenix and Las Vegas do lie within large valleys.

Both cities have a clear radius of about 50 km with no real mountains that would constrain growth. Colorado Springs has mountains. Reno has mountains. I would even say that Bakersfield, Fresno, and Sacramento have mountains before I would say so about Las Vegas and Phoenix. Las Vegas and Phoenix barely have rivers or lakes.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 11:14:20 PM
    • Sure, Why Not? (Highway Blog Spot)
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2019, 03:01:00 PM »

Both cities have a clear radius of about 50 km with no real mountains that would constrain growth. Colorado Springs has mountains. Reno has mountains. I would even say that Bakersfield, Fresno, and Sacramento have mountains before I would say so about Las Vegas and Phoenix. Las Vegas and Phoenix barely have rivers or lakes.

Actually Phoenix does have the Salt River which affects the grid to a large degree in the East Valley, not so much with the smaller rivers.  Sacramento and Fresno are more restricted by rivers on top of farm land than the Sierras.  Bakersfield backs right up to the Sierras on it’s eastern boundary. 

SSR_317

• Why does FHWA hate "Exit 0"?

• Last Login: September 28, 2019, 04:58:25 PM
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2019, 11:44:27 AM »

The Midwest (no, NOT you St. Louis) and Big Ten RULE
I could ask how and why STL is not a Midwest city...
Simple. Illinois was part of the Northwest Territories, Missouri was not. You could never own another human being in the Midwest, while in Saint Louis you could. The Great Planes begin at the Mississippi River, where the Midwest ends.

SSR_317

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2019, 11:47:28 AM »

I kid the fans of soccer, it is a great sport (just not that much in THIS country). The Indiana Fever have been a major league basketball team in the WNBA for twenty years now. Now you know.

SSR_317

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2019, 11:50:03 AM »

You can’t just rank the WNBA as higher than the MLS. That’s just not how it works.
At least according to YOU. I can rank them any way I please, you are free in this country (for now) to disagree. Now let's move on and talk about highways & transportation.

SSR_317

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2019, 11:57:54 AM »

Actually Phoenix does have the Salt River which affects the grid to a large degree in the East Valley, not so much with the smaller rivers.  Sacramento and Fresno are more restricted by rivers on top of farm land than the Sierras.  Bakersfield backs right up to the Sierras on it’s eastern boundary.
Having spent quite a bit of time in both cities over the past 35 years, I would say the factor that influenced them most would be the relative late date their freeways have been built compared to most other major metropolises in the USA. Thus, they learned SOME of the lessons that other places learned the hard way. Unfortunately, they did not learn ALL of the available lessons.

BTW, I was actually visiting Phoenix the week their original "Freeway Referendum" was passed in the 1980s.

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 10:41:59 PM
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2019, 02:37:19 PM »

Somewhat similar between San Antonio, TX and Indianapolis, IN when comparing the overall network and the freeways coming in and out, if you get rid of I-74 and the future I-69 southern connection, and only count the freeway segments outside the beltway. Inside, it's completely different than San Antonio.

I-465 is similar to I-410
I-65 North is similar to I-10 West
I-65 South is similar to I-37 South
I-70 West is similar to I-35 South
I-70 East is similar to I-10 East
I-69 North is similar to I-35 North
US-31 North is similar to US-281 North

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.