AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: If you could shut down one business...  (Read 2971 times)

cu2010

• Last Login: Today at 06:10:42 AM
Re: If you could shut down one business...
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2019, 10:13:09 PM »

I go to my local credit union branch once a month... to get cash out to pay my rent, because I haven't convinced my landlord to take PayPal or Venmo yet, and because the ATM won't let me take that much out. Everything else I either use an ATM or do electronically. It's just so much easier... especially since there's always a line during the one hour a day I can actually go!

SM-G930V

This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

bandit957

• A natural gas bunk!

• Last Login: Today at 08:42:15 AM
« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2019, 10:15:51 PM »

I didn't know landlords took PayPal. The ones I've had have only taken checks.
The highway to not having your teeth fall out...

Number of remaining teeth: https://goo.gl/maps/dgsWdCme9s72

cu2010

• Last Login: Today at 06:10:42 AM
« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2019, 10:20:34 PM »

Technically anyone can take PayPal, you can use it to transfer funds between two parties. I use it to send money to my family  for birthdays, and for buying me stuff off Amazon, since I don't have a Prime membership.

I have a few family members who use it to send me money for my birthday and Christmas, since they know how much I despise gift cards.

My landlord takes check or cash... and since I'm not paying for checks that I'll never use because its 2019, I pay cash.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

vdeane

• Last Login: Today at 08:31:42 AM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2019, 10:38:25 PM »

I thought coin-operated washers and dryers in apartment buildings were still pretty common. Mine didn't have them when I moved in, but the building owner added them later.
They are, but there are places that have switched to prepaid cards and high-end units with in-unit laundry.  And, of course, townhome/condo/homeowners have their own machines and don't need to worry about such things.

My bank's ATMs accept deposits without deposit tickets.  Never had a problem with depositing checks into them.
So does mine, but I need to use up the deposit tickets somehow, and since I just pair the trip up with one to get laundry quarters (every 3-4 weeks, unless I visit family and do a load of laundry there), it's not like I'm making an extra trip just to deposit birthday/Christmas checks.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Last Login: Today at 01:10:51 AM
« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2019, 12:36:11 AM »

My bank's ATMs accept deposits without deposit tickets.  Never had a problem with depositing checks into them.

I always prefer to deposit checks in person. Iím not a fan of leaving them sitting in an envelope in an ATM, because I prefer to get the transaction settled as quickly as possible without worrying about the envelope potentially being lost or stolen. Also, even the newer ATMs that can read and process checks might still make read errors on occasion. With a human bank teller, this is not an issue.
Interstate clinches: 14 82 86ID 215UT 225 345 444 575 985
US clinches: 91 491 550

Flickr
Imgur

SP Cook

• Last Login: Today at 09:46:17 AM
« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2019, 10:27:05 AM »

Landlords.  My landlord bills me through Quicken and I can pay with a credit card, which I do to get the air miles.  Since credit cards charge a %age, he is really cutting himself out of a couple points, I would be glad to drop a check off at his office, which is downstairs.

Checks.  Other than taxes, which charge a "convience fee" to use credit cards, I neither write nor receive more than two checks a year.  When I last changed banks, I ordered the least number of checks possible and expect to have to shred most of these when I retire and change banks in 9 years.

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 07:04:34 AM
« Reply #131 on: September 12, 2019, 11:25:50 AM »

I always prefer to deposit checks in person. Iím not a fan of leaving them sitting in an envelope in an ATM, because I prefer to get the transaction settled as quickly as possible without worrying about the envelope potentially being lost or stolen. Also, even the newer ATMs that can read and process checks might still make read errors on occasion. With a human bank teller, this is not an issue.
I haven't needed to put my deposits into an envelope and the ATM confirms its scans, letting me make sure it got it right.  Like I said, never had a problem and the deposits pop up in my account online quite quickly -- the same time it'd take a check to clear.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

qguy

• Last Login: Today at 06:36:49 AM
« Reply #132 on: September 13, 2019, 06:33:21 AM »

I haven't needed to put my deposits into an envelope and the ATM confirms its scans, letting me make sure it got it right.  Like I said, never had a problem and the deposits pop up in my account online quite quickly -- the same time it'd take a check to clear.

As a veteran I use USAA for all my banking. They have a smartphone app that I use to deposit checks by taking a picture of them. In virtually all cases the funds are available to me almost immediately.

Because the bank is located in San Antonio, TX, and USAA members are scattered all over the world, years ago the company devised various ways (using scanners, etc.) to deposit checks remotely and became the industry benchmark for that type of service. Other banks have now been copying them. I've been using my smartphone to deposit checks for around eight years, a home scanner for around ten years before that.

Brandon

• Mr. Accelerator is our friend; Mr. Brake is not.

• Last Login: October 16, 2019, 09:35:47 PM
« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2019, 10:00:33 AM »

How about three:

Red Speed
Safe Speed
Redflex
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 11:45:18 AM by Brandon »
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Illinois: America's own banana republic.

Screw the KSA; Stand with Canada.

roadman65

• Last Login: October 16, 2019, 11:14:18 PM
« Reply #134 on: October 12, 2019, 11:26:10 AM »

How about collection agencies!  They are scum making money off of other people's misfortunes and the fact they have the power to ruin your Fico score.  The worst is when they come after you for a hospital bill that is a day late!

Fact is hospitals and ERs nowadays do not send out final warnings anymore.  Just one bill followed by another and then without warning the collections call you.  Then talk with them and insult the agency they work for and the phone agent gets all emotional like you are talking with the owner of the agency and get unprofessional and curse you out like you insulted them personally!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

• Last Login: Today at 06:39:32 AM
« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2019, 07:34:10 PM »

Sears/Kmart. Just close them all no one will miss them.

renegade

• Change my mind.

• Last Login: October 16, 2019, 12:03:48 PM
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2019, 11:45:28 PM »

Sears/Kmart. Just close them all no one will miss them.
Dude.  How has that company harmed you personally?  You've made your point.  Repeatedly.  Move on, already.

Desert Man

• Last Login: October 13, 2019, 07:46:46 PM
« Reply #137 on: October 13, 2019, 07:33:43 PM »

AM Radio is in its last legs, along with FM and Shortwave, in the era of online audio streaming and Sirius/XM subscription.

930 KHJ (was it on 960 too?) in the 1960s, the most popular radio station Los Angeles and Southern CA knows about (anyone born before 2000). Briefly it was in Spanish (Mexican ranchera music genre), 1990-2015, now it's a Catholic religious station. 

Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

formulanone

• Business with pleasure?

• Last Login: Today at 11:42:03 AM
« Reply #138 on: October 14, 2019, 10:16:38 AM »

How about three:

Red Speed
Safe Speed
Redflex

I have no problem with the technology, it has other uses. But some products get used for threshold-of-evil purposes.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 10:18:59 AM by formulanone »

D-Dey65

• Last Login: October 16, 2019, 10:31:21 AM
« Reply #139 on: October 14, 2019, 12:21:19 PM »

I can think of a few really bad schools for "kids with special needs" I'd like to shut down.

That, and/or those phony wilderness therapy death camps.

texaskdog

• Last Login: October 16, 2019, 11:50:42 PM
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2019, 12:23:57 PM »

You can assume that part of the "magic" of shutting down the business includes the ability to move customers and employees to another similar company without problems.

----

I would choose Wells Fargo. They are incredibly dishonest, with multiple scandals, and they're not expected to go bankrupt any time soon.

Goes Double for Bank of America
Oh yes that bank is terrible.  I used to bank at Barnett, but they got absorbed into Nation's Bank which afterwards got absorbed into them.  I shut my accounts and went to Chase.

I only use credit unions.  My company makes me go to the BOA constrictor, they are awful. 

How do they make you? Once they pay you the money is yours...

For company business

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.